PDA

View Full Version : bad news about the honda

06honda450er
10-15-2006, 02:39 PM
i am a true blue honda supporter but after today im not sure anymore. i have a 06 honda 450er and i bought it brand new 2 weeks ago. so far i have had to take it back to the dealership for warrenty work twice. once because it was over heating and the other time because my starter was slapping really hard. i couldnt even start my wheeler it was so bad. sorry to say it but im just not sure about honda any more.

kodiak515
10-15-2006, 02:51 PM
well you should expect some defaulf, from an 06..... fisrt one with ES and all... ifs going to have some flaws. But no need to feel like honda is good anymore

IMSROLL450R
10-15-2006, 03:43 PM
My 06 already has starter and flywheel problems as well sometimes it wont even start and sometimes it doesnt kick the pinion into the flywheel. I bought a honda because of reliability and damn its not even months old. How did you know yours was overheating? my pipe gets red but the light never comes on. I dunno. At least I got the 4 year warranty

TCracin440ex
10-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by 06honda450er
i am a true blue honda supporter but after today im not sure anymore. i have a 06 honda 450er and i bought it brand new 2 weeks ago. so far i have had to take it back to the dealership for warrenty work twice. once because it was over heating and the other time because my starter was slapping really hard. i couldnt even start my wheeler it was so bad. sorry to say it but im just not sure about honda any more.

oh man dont feel 2 bad ive had to take my bike back to the shop a few times....my one way clutch in the starter went bad, and now i just got a recall on it in the mail the other day....i never had these problems at all with my old 400ex but atleast honda is making them right and i wouldnt have any other brand...i dont have any over heating problem....and my dealer said hes sold 100s of 450rs and mine was the first one to come back with the starter clutch problem....go figure....no 2 parts are ever made the same..

CHEVYZ
10-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Sounds like ll the problems are with the damn ERs. Good to say, I have had my bike for quite a while now and have had no problems at all... it runs awesome! The only thing I have had happen was I broke the spring on the decompression mech. Happens when you use the gas to start it when you are NOT supposed to. Going back now, I see why it happened.

06honda450er
10-15-2006, 04:51 PM
i think that my water pump went out and that is why it was overheating. my head pipe gets red to but that has nothing to do with the coolent. i wasnt even getting water into my radiator. but about the starting i hope that they get it figured out. they told me that it was new and it had to be broken in. i dont beleive a word of it. ive never had or seen any bike have such a starting problem when they are new.

kodiak515
10-15-2006, 04:53 PM
mine didnt want to start so good when i got it.... but now i have no problem

Flodies400ex
10-15-2006, 05:21 PM
the only thing with these honda 450ER is that if you push on the gas to start it will ruin the starter and ruin some other parts also and if you push on gas it does so most of time I think is when you have problems with the starter is because of that so its your fault

tltcracing
10-15-2006, 05:34 PM
^^^^

thats the same thing i have found too. both with the kickers and the e starts. use gas with kickers and you could break the case, and with the e start it ruins the starter gear.

Flyin-Low
10-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Flodies400ex
the only thing with these honda 450ER is that if you push on the gas to start it will ruin the starter and ruin some other parts also and if you push on gas it does so most of time I think is when you have problems with the starter is because of that so its your fault

I agree to some extent in what hes trying to say. Some of the starters WERE faulty but most of the time its rider error. Touching throttle while trying to start is BAD!!

-Martin

Dave400ex
10-15-2006, 06:02 PM
It's no secret that there have been many electric start issues. Honda just didn't get it quite right. I've had parts replaced in mine all ready as well. I hope they change it for 08.

400ex45
10-15-2006, 06:27 PM
i havent had a single problem with mine at all and i have had it for a year know. i work at a dealer ship and the we have had a couple of starter go bad in them but the reason why they went bad was lack of not noing and to start them and run it. or lack of maintanance on change the oil. that is one thing that honda said about why the starters go out is because people do not change there oil enough. and i know a couple of other people that have 06's and havent had a single problem. you just have to change the oil and clean the air filter alot.

400ex45
10-15-2006, 06:29 PM
ohh yah and if you notice on the 07 er's right on the throttle housing there is a stick on it saying do not give thottle while start. which i thought was pretty funny.

Martin Blair
10-15-2006, 06:39 PM
see what you get for being lazy and buying that ER :devil:

Coolidge
10-15-2006, 07:27 PM
I still wanna add a kick start to my 06 ER as a back-up. My e-start has let me down more than once....
Now, does somebody have a complete kit to add a kicker to a 450er. And I do mean a "complete kit" & price $ ?
Thx ~Guy

Flodies400ex
10-15-2006, 07:37 PM
just when you want to push the throttle then just think a min. and dont do it lol and I have'nt had nothing wrong yet

Dave400ex
10-17-2006, 05:23 PM
I have heard of several places offering complete kicker kits. I plan on buying mine from Baldwin. I believe JH Racing, K&K, and East Coast have a kit as well. A lot of places are selling them...

fbca7
11-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
oh man dont feel 2 bad ive had to take my bike back to the shop a few times....my one way clutch in the starter went bad, and now i just got a recall on it in the mail the other day....i never had these problems at all with my old 400ex but atleast honda is making them right and i wouldnt have any other brand...i dont have any over heating problem....and my dealer said hes sold 100s of 450rs and mine was the first one to come back with the starter clutch problem....go figure....no 2 parts are ever made the same..

What symptoms were there when the starter clutch went out? Wouldn't turn over? Crank but no starter engagement? I think mine might be having the same issue.

lumi
11-05-2006, 08:07 PM
no problems here.:D love mine to death.

-lumi

hemp450r
11-22-2006, 08:35 PM
had mine for almost a year now, no problems at all, but it does not like it when people give it throttle when starting, IT'S NOT A BANSHEE LOL

TCracin440ex
11-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by fbca7
What symptoms were there when the starter clutch went out? Wouldn't turn over? Crank but no starter engagement? I think mine might be having the same issue.

yep....the starter clutch does nothin but kick the gear out so it can turn over the motor and when mine when out you could push the button but the starter would just freepsin and wouldnt kick out to turn the motor over...

Chino886
11-23-2006, 06:31 AM
for the guys that have starter issues, have you tried a bigger battery with more CCA (cold cranking amps), I don't know if that is the problem or not, but 400EXs benefits from it.

Just a thought!

sdxp787
11-23-2006, 08:06 AM
My bro's ER has been flawless. Granted, it won't start if you give it throttle. If you hear it bucking, let off the button. Honda had a bulletproof starter in the 400. I'm not sure why they changed it other than they put the TPS on it and when you touch the throttle, it wants to advance the timing and hence the bucking and no start situation. We have found that giving the decomp some extra clearance helps it to start. The ER has a low cranking compression. Increasing the decomp clearance helps to increase the compression. This helps it to start, but don't get too happy or it won't turn over at all.

lumi
11-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by sdxp787
My bro's ER has been flawless. Granted, it won't start if you give it throttle. If you hear it bucking, let off the button. Honda had a bulletproof starter in the 400. I'm not sure why they changed it other than they put the TPS on it and when you touch the throttle, it wants to advance the timing and hence the bucking and no start situation. We have found that giving the decomp some extra clearance helps it to start. The ER has a low cranking compression. Increasing the decomp clearance helps to increase the compression. This helps it to start, but don't get too happy or it won't turn over at all.

couldnt have saidit better.

the bucking or tick, clunk sound during starting or when shutting off seems to be some slack in between the gears were others seem to say its kickback, which doesnt seem to be the case.

when i hear that sound during cranking i let off the e-start button immeditatly!! most people i bet keep holding the BUTTON!! :mad:

ANYWAYS NO BODY STATED TO NOT HOLD THE STARTER BUTTON FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS OR ELSE YOUR GONNA MELT YOUR STARTER!!! IT WONT HAPPEN THE FIRST OR THE SECOND MAYBE NOT EVEN THE THIRD TIME BUT YOU WILL NOTICE DOWN THE ROAD. so stay off the button once u get to a 5 second count.

another reason is the decomp like stated, having a little more comp esecially when adding highperformance parts helps the quad start faster for sure.

if you adjust valves adjust your decomp.

if u add a cam and other hp parts adjust your decomp for a bit more compression during starting.

good luck girls!

-lumi

Racer 52
11-23-2006, 08:43 PM
what year of honda 450 was better 05 or the 06

woodsracer420
11-23-2006, 09:26 PM
well lets see???

04/05- theres a good a chance of getting one with the bad crank bearings and could lock up on ya at anytime, costing ya a boat load of cash

or

06 - crappy handling, week tranny's, (compared to 04/05's) and e-start problems

take your pick!

as you can see im not to impressed with the R. Overall the quad has awsome potential but not until all the issues are taking care of.

my .02

400excracer
11-24-2006, 06:20 AM
Well, by reading that last comment, one would think that the450R/450ER is one big piece of junk. Ease up. It may not be perfect, but it is still the best race quad on the market. No the ER doesnt start as fast as the 400EX, but it still starts everytime if you try if you know what you are doing. Once you get used to it you will be fine.

jb500ex
11-24-2006, 06:30 AM
the er is not a good quad for xc racing, get the kickstart and it's fine

lumi
11-24-2006, 07:06 AM
crappy handling to each his own

e-starts, mostly user error

bad tranny's, underfill, bad fulid, plus rumors

-lumi 0.2cents

Dave400ex
11-24-2006, 08:03 AM
I think the best setup would be a '06 or '07 kicker with a '05 front end.

ridered11
11-24-2006, 09:20 AM
ok, i'm getting a 450r soon (not too sure on what year)

but can someone explain to me why giving it gas when starting it with e-start (or even kick?) is bad for it and causes problems?

thanks i'm just curious

tltcracing
11-24-2006, 10:16 AM
wile giving it gas the motor has a tendency to have kickback. this, in an e start, ruins the started gear. in a kicker the kickback may be so great that it actualy cracks the side case. just dont even put pressure on the gas wile starting and u should have no probs at all.

ridered11
11-24-2006, 09:41 PM
alright thanks

joedirt
11-25-2006, 08:58 PM
An ER won't start if you touch the throttle while trying to start it. A safety feature Honda has so it doesn't kick back and break something.

Good deal on Kick start parts for ER Click Here (http://www.thequadbuilder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=302)

sammy5x
11-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by hemp450r
IT'S NOT A BANSHEE LOL

:eek2: Now that is damn funny! :D :D

mustangflyboy
11-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Well Heck .... I've been thinking I was going to trade up from my stock '01 400ex to a 06 450ER for Christmas. But now I'm not sure if I should....YET.... Seems they haven't got the bugs worked out yet. I also like the low end grunt of my 400ex. maybe I should just build my 400ex for now and wait for Honda to go with fuel injection.
I ride at the dunes and also trails and a little hill climbing and occasional hunting trips. Do you guys think a 450r will be up to the various types of riding I do or would I be disappointed in some area.
I'm prepared to spend $1500+ to build my 400ex, but I just keep thinking how sweet new 450r would be at the dunes..............
wait , but what about when I go to he mountains.......HHmmmmm.

Can the 450r be modded for more low end torque? other than dropping a tooth on the front? cam?
Thanks for the input guys