PDA

View Full Version : Any Thing wrong with the 05's?

Sjorge450R
10-14-2006, 06:24 PM
I am looking to get an 05 left over from my dealer and I was just wondering if there were anything wrong with them when they came out. He wants 49 for it but I think thats too much. How much do you guys think its worth brand new?

honda350r
10-14-2006, 07:20 PM
If you don't mind the engine blowing up in a few months ,buy it ..

I would spend the extra cash and get a new 07 !!

watts16
10-14-2006, 08:34 PM
I have about 18 races and a 6 hour race on my 2005 this year. Never let me down (knock on wood). Just has to last the Ironman and then shes getting torn down.

d3ktrix
10-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
If you don't mind the engine blowing up in a few months ,buy it ..

lol what?

How u come up with that? :P

exrider44
10-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Thats funny my 04 hasnt had any problems, why would you say it will blow up every couple of months?

pelphrey
10-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
lol what?

I was thinking the very same thing? Please explain?!?!?!

Architects
10-15-2006, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty sure hes refering to the crank bearing issue some 04/05's have.

d3ktrix
10-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Architects
I'm pretty sure hes refering to the crank bearing issue some 04/05's have.

Only late 04's and early 05's had that problem.

I doubt any dealers still have 05's that old.

Sjorge450R
10-15-2006, 05:27 AM
well my dealer has about 5 '05's left because they got a **** load from honda. But other than that bearing there are nothing wrong from the factory?

tltcracing
10-15-2006, 06:08 AM
actualy in many ways the 05 is better then the newer versions honda has out. it has more power potential and has a better handleing frame geometry. i love my 05. i got the first 05 my dealer had in so i gess that would fall under the "early 05" area. mine has never had one prob, ever, and i do ride it more then one hour every weekend on a mx track.

honda350r
10-15-2006, 04:48 PM
lol what?

My customers don't think it is funny ! I have had three crankshaft bearing failures this week alone !!

I too was thinking that all this talk about honda engine was BS but now I can't keep up with the failures!!

CHEVYZ
10-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Save up and get a newer model, you will be happier in the end!

B450r
10-15-2006, 05:11 PM
I've had my 05 450r for bout 8 or 9 months and she's still runnin in perfect condition........nothin wrong ....... i got mine for $5200.
Brand new.....

Sjorge450R
10-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
Save up and get a newer model, you will be happier in the end!

im a 16 year old kid that needs a bigger bike to race in A class. I think the 05 will be fine since I will be modding the bike slowly, but I will be able to keep an eye on things.

Dave400ex
10-15-2006, 05:51 PM
There are pro's and con's of both models. If I was doing it now I would buy a 07 kicker and put the 05 spindles/front end on it. That way you don't have e-start problems and have the better handling front end...

Sjorge450R
10-16-2006, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
There are pro's and con's of both models. If I was doing it now I would buy a 07 kicker and put the 05 spindles/front end on it. That way you don't have e-start problems and have the better handling front end...

yeah I really dont want e-start anyway. I would rather have kickstart. But e-start with kicker backup would be really nice.

BVRLVR
10-16-2006, 07:28 AM
i bought my 05 back in june, i paid 4600 (it think it was 4900 OTD), i havent had any problems with the R, as far as the diffrence between the years, the changes are so small you'll never be able to tell a diffrence. go for the 05 kick start!

Elduner
10-16-2006, 08:43 AM
I have an 04 and yeah its true that damm crank crap is crap......:mad:

My engine took a dive not to long ago due to the crank rod bearings... The crank got replaced with a new oem crank with newer style bearings... Its been holdin up to the beatings I have been putting it thru,,,,

also has a 15 shot of funny juice.

d3ktrix
10-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by quad_rider
I have an 04 and yeah its true that damm crank crap is crap......:mad:

My engine took a dive not to long ago due to the crank rod bearings... The crank got replaced with a new oem crank with newer style bearings... Its been holdin up to the beatings I have been putting it thru,,,,

also has a 15 shot of funny juice.

What month was ur bike made?

I'm really wondering if only a few months of the 04/05's were affected or what.

I'm still thinking about getting the extended warranty on my 05.

Elduner
10-16-2006, 12:18 PM
What month was ur bike made?

I'm really wondering if only a few months of the 04/05's were affected or what.

I'm still thinking about getting the extended warranty on my 05.

dont know the aswer to that question... but here are some carnage pics...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/elduner/engine%20pics/IMG_1003.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/elduner/engine%20pics/IMG_1002.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/elduner/engine%20pics/IMG_0994.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/elduner/engine%20pics/carnage3.jpg

d3ktrix
10-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Ouch, rod came right through the front of the cases?

What was the parts bill on that one?

Elduner
10-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Ouch, rod came right through the front of the cases?

What was the parts bill on that one?

it came out the front and back. Dont remember exactly what was the total cause I got a lot of the stuff on ebay,.

crank from dealer $299 (ran out of time)
both cases $290
piston $240
Gaskets bearings $80
Cylinder $100
2 new KW intake valves installed $90
Timing chain $32

and lots of beer for the install... lol

d3ktrix
10-16-2006, 12:57 PM
ugh

Really sucks when repairs break a grand doesnt it?

The tranny in my truck went few weeks ago and cost me $1700.
Now I'm in the process of replacing the radiator / hoses / thermostat / thermostat housing & rail / belt / plugs / wires.
Also need a windsheild and new tires soon.

I'm reallying thinking about getting the extended warranty on my 05.
All I have to do is put my stock pipe on and I'm covered by the warranty.

Honda warranty would cover a failure like that as long as the motor wasnt modded right?

Elduner
10-16-2006, 01:06 PM
yeah it should...

but when it happend I had the following.

12.5:1 HH piston
Ported polished head
HRC cam
Eseries POS pipe

CHEVYZ
10-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by BVRLVR
i bought my 05 back in june, i paid 4600 (it think it was 4900 OTD), i havent had any problems with the R, as far as the diffrence between the years, the changes are so small you'll never be able to tell a diffrence. go for the 05 kick start! I disagree. The difference between the years is more than easily visible. Both bikes are entirely different. Between the two of mine, I can find only a few similarities in performance.

BVRLVR
10-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
I disagree. The difference between the years is more than easily visible. Both bikes are entirely different. Between the two of mine, I can find only a few similarities in performance.

srry, yes there is a diffrence in the quads, but not enough to cover the price diffrence. if you can ride, it makes no diffrence, your skill is what matters, and if you take that money you saved, you can put it back into the bike (a-arms, shocks, stem.....). look at the pros they ride 05, 06's and 07's..... just go out and ride!

Sjorge450R
10-16-2006, 04:46 PM
that must have been a mess on your motor. Maybe the head wasnt ported right and that led to the problem. I wont be bumping the compression/piston up for a long time so I think I will be alright. We are going to talk to the honda dealer at both dealerships to see if there is anyway for them to sponsor me a little. (the one dealer sponsors alot of dirtbike races and I figured he may help me out)

Steve

Elduner
10-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
Maybe the head wasnt ported right and that led to the problem. I wont be bumping the compression/piston up for a long time so I think I will be alright.

Steve

tell me your not serious.... :bandit:

what would porting have to do with that?? lol

Stock motor with no compresion bump?? sorry to tell you but if you do get sponsored a little it wont be for a long time.. lol Holeshots are no where on your horizons...

Compresion BABY!!!!!!!!!!! Heck I run a 14.1 Bladwin on Nitrous.. lol but then again I can take apart my engine and rebuild it back myself... Good luck.

Sjorge450R
10-17-2006, 04:31 AM

what would porting have to do with that?? lol

Stock motor with no compresion bump?? sorry to tell you but if you do get sponsored a little it wont be for a long time.. lol Holeshots are no where on your horizons...

Compresion BABY!!!!!!!!!!! Heck I run a 14.1 Bladwin on Nitrous.. lol but then again I can take apart my engine and rebuild it back myself... Good luck.

well if you are trying to say that I cant rebuild motors you are wrong. I Just had to replace the countershaft on my 300ex. Had to split the damn cases and install everything myself with a little help from my friend when I needed a third hand. I know my engine like I know how to walk.

I will eventualy upgrade, but not until I have enough cash. It will prob be like a 12:1 or maybe a 13:1 because I already run 50/50 av gas and premium. The first thing will be the damn stock shocks, they will be sent to Colby for revavles. Then a Rossier or Sparks pipe, then other stuff will slowly be added.

wanta450
10-17-2006, 08:16 AM

obviously you dont know to much either because you can easily pull holeshots on a stock motor hes racing harescrambles not fourmula 1 cars:macho

Elduner
10-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by wanta450
obviously you dont know to much either because you can easily pull holeshots on a stock motor hes racing harescrambles not fourmula 1 cars:macho

hahahaha easy there turbo!!! guy wanted to blame my porting... lol :eek2:

I see you know lots with all the mods your scooter has... lol

But then again I dont know squat about nothing.. lol I have been doing all the wrong upgrades... I need to get me some of what your sporting.. :devil:

BIG GUN EVO X
ITP Holeshot XC frts and XCR rears
PRM swingarm and full skids
PRM Desert bumper
GT THUNDER XC link
IMS heel guards and footpegs
AC nerf bars
Hertz P brake block off
SRP muscle steering stabilizer
TAG handle bars
CYCRA probends
SPIDER grips
ONE Industries graphics
My own Powder Coating in Trans. Blue and black wrinkle

kyex40047
10-17-2006, 12:38 PM
I had the thrust washers on my conecting rod take a crap on me and broke apart and locked my motor up about 9 months after I bought it. It was $1200 for me to fix everything. I was running everything stock in my motor when it happened. Now I put a a 12:1 wiseco piston and a stage 2 hotcams and run it on klotz 108 race fuel and this bike has never ran better. The only problem I have had with my motor is I seem to go through rings, valves and valve seals, oh and timing chains. Just change your oil after every race and use the same kind of oil, do not keep switching brads and weights and you should be fine. I like the 05's my self. My bike is just as fast if not faster then alot of 06's and I have aftermerket suspension on it so I can tune that it any way I want to, so I would just as soon get an 05 as I would an 06 or 07. the only thing is the honda money. If you want to get money back from honda you have to be on an 06 or 07

Sjorge450R
10-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by kyex40047
I had the thrust washers on my conecting rod take a crap on me and broke apart and locked my motor up about 9 months after I bought it. It was $1200 for me to fix everything. I was running everything stock in my motor when it happened. Now I put a a 12:1 wiseco piston and a stage 2 hotcams and run it on klotz 108 race fuel and this bike has never ran better. The only problem I have had with my motor is I seem to go through rings, valves and valve seals, oh and timing chains. Just change your oil after every race and use the same kind of oil, do not keep switching brads and weights and you should be fine. I like the 05's my self. My bike is just as fast if not faster then alot of 06's and I have aftermerket suspension on it so I can tune that it any way I want to, so I would just as soon get an 05 as I would an 06 or 07. the only thing is the honda money. If you want to get money back from honda you have to be on an 06 or 07

im not looking for money back from honda, just my dealer. Oh and he is right though about the holeshot thing. I will never see a holeshot for a long time because about 10 out of like 20 races, Borich is there so yea....:ermm: