PDA

View Full Version : Laeger's or Arens

crazedape
10-14-2006, 05:51 PM
I am looking into getting an aftermarket frame and I wanted to know the difference between a Laeger's frame and and Arens frame. I was wanting a Laeger's frame to build a full Laeger's bike but the price for an Aren's frame is so much cheaper. Any advice is much appreciated.

deathman53
10-14-2006, 06:11 PM
you pay for what you get. Leager's frames are much better. Aerens I am told are a pain to put together, its hard to get stuff to fit.

matt250r21
10-14-2006, 06:57 PM
I would go with the Laeger's if I were you. I think it is one of the best out there, next would be Walsh and Roll.

250R-Dee
10-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Quality wise, they are the same. Arens' frames uses a '96 CR250 rear brake pedal and you will have to make a bracket to get the pipe to fit properly.

Used Arens frames can be bought as cheap as $350 and the cheapest used but undamage Laeger's frame I have seen sold in the high $400's.

John Arens supposedly still makes parts for his frames but I think he is mainly concentrating on 4 pokes and pitbikes.

There are probably 10 people in this section that have Arens framed 250R's.

kustomfab2003
10-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Laeger's frames aren't built in house anymore, they are contracted out. When Mark and Suzie ran the business they were built in house. Now that they are just advisors and handle the books they are no longer built at theirfacility in Temecula. How do I know?? I sell them all of their welding supplies... I also deal with Roll, X-Factor, Rhino Craft etc.

Josh

quadracer12
10-15-2006, 07:06 PM
there is a guy on hear selling a lonestar frame for $800 shipped. hell of a deal!

quadracer12
10-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
you pay for what you get. Leager's frames are much better. Aerens I am told are a pain to put together, its hard to get stuff to fit.

i built one in 99 and it went together perfect

hang1p
10-16-2006, 01:44 AM
mine seems to be ok I have never had any problems with things fitting

wilkin250r
10-16-2006, 01:55 AM
It's been a while since I've heard anything from old Jnine. Is he even selling 250r frames nowadays?

250R-Dee
10-16-2006, 03:35 AM
I ran into John Arens the other day and remembered I needed to ask him about stuff for you. He still builds everything but with the 4 strokes he only sells a frame here and there. His other stuff is still available new if you want it. I'm not sure what all he has in stock but I think he will always build 250r stuff.

This is a PM I received a couple months back when I was looking for a set of Arens' arms to match my frame.

Gasman
10-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Most of my bike is Arens! It was Pete Bengel's, who I guess helps John building frames or some such thing. Frame, arms, stem, A2 fatbars, and swingarm are all Arens on mine. My A-arms are the only set they built that take Laeger's ball joints too. Trying something different I guess. I have never had a problem with quality or fitment of any parts on mine. They do take the '96 CR250 brake pedal, but as far as I'm concerned that's neither good or bad. Pete told me recently that they have been known to build and ship 250r-style frames with no motor mounts, for the guys who want to build hybrids, but even that is dying. I understand they also do the chassis and arms for the Cobra MX minis that all the kids are winning on.

iamjasyn
10-17-2006, 03:49 PM
From what I've heard Arens prides themselves on their strict engineering background and close fit of OEM parts to their chassis... I don't own one, but that's what I've heard.

BLACKeR
10-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Pete Bengel's

havent seen him around in a long time. used to post quite a bit on rriders, back in the day. good guy...he got hosed on some steerign stems, wish he still had them. i could use one now

gimp419
10-20-2006, 08:39 AM
I've got an Arens frame I've raced nationals on since 2001. I have to say it iis probably the toughest frame I've ever seen. The only place I've ever had to weld it is by the left foot peg. As far as everything fitting, the only problem is the pipe bracket. You'll have to rig up a bracket for the pipe, the silencer fits great. Remember that the Arens frame is true 250r geometry, no CR500 linkage or flip top subs. It is a direct replacement for the stock 250r frame and everything fits just like it would on a stock frame. I think I gave $1500 for mine brand new back in 2000, and it was the best purchase I ever made for my R. I've rode the wheels off of that frame and it's never complained once!

MX450
10-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Any of the bigger names are going to have good aftermarket frames, Lonestar frames are probably going to be easier to find though, and you can still buy them brand new.