PDA

View Full Version : performance ?

ltrider450
10-14-2006, 01:56 PM
there is a couple things i want for my quad a power commander, air intake kit, dasa slip on, and i have a cherry bomb.

has any1 herd anything good about the dynojet power commander or do you guys have a better suggestion for one?

the intake kit. Is it worth the money? I herd that the pro flow dosent do nething for me and i havent really saw any other designs are any of the products worth the money or should i just stick to the stock?

any suggestions will be appreciated thanks

blholtz
10-14-2006, 08:44 PM
if you are getting a K&N air filter kit it is worth it the stock filter doesn't hold up well to being cleaned. And K&N will definately flow more air.

As for the Dynojet power commander I have on and I love this little thing.

When you install the (PC) Powercommmander you can go to their websie and download MAPS for different set-ups right to your computer and then install these maps into the (PC).

You also can use the buttons on the (PC) itself to adjust the maps and fine tune them if you need to.

The web site and the disk that comes with the (PC) are very easy to understand and very informative on how to use the (PC).

IMO I think that you will like it, and it will work for you very well.

AL Elks
10-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Stick with a foam filter unless you plan on ditching the airbox entirely and getting something other than the current K&N kits that are on the market. A few of us have installed the K&N kits and have gained absolutely nothing. I even cut my airbox down and still gained nothing.

First the filters are too small because they have to fit in the airbox. 2nd since they are so small they don't flow much better than the stock air filter. Not even 1hp gain on the Dyno. If you totally eliminate the airbox they you gain 1hp. Not worth it. There is an airbox eliminator coming out that will give you an additional 3hp if you are willing to ditch the airbox.

I was VERY dissapointed in the Trinity intake and would not recommend it.

The setup coming out by the way uses a MUCH larger K&N.

I know I have the ESR intake eliminator kit on my LTZ and love it so I can't wait for this kit to come out.

Hope this helps!

PS The kit will be marketed by FUELATV and should be available in a couple of weeks.

ltrider450
10-15-2006, 12:24 AM
thanks for the info guys it will help me out alot thanks:D

hard one
10-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Stick to the foam filter like what elks said because the k&n filters do flow better but will let every ounce of dirt and sand in.Then if you put the filter cover on you are just back to stock.

Go with uni take out the screen on the plastic filter holder it will let more air in.

My shop has good thing to say about it but the only downer is that it isnt pre programed you have to hook it up to your PC then download them.

I like my white bros efi tuner it comes with 3 pre programed settings.

Have fun with the lt-r

blholtz
10-15-2006, 06:46 PM
K&N lets every ounce of dirt in?

Have you lost your ever lovin mind?

That why those type of filters are used or can be used in just about any engine application known. If they let all that dirt in there woukd be no way the multitude of Duners out on the west coast would use them in their Machines, without the airbaox on at all in most applications.

The only thing that might be true about the K&N set up is the fast the the filter might be too small to show significant dyno results, but the nature of the filtering media from the K&N or a foam filter the K&N media should logically fow more air.

Not to mention the K&N IMO is easier to maintain and oil, add an outerwears to the fiter when you install it and you protect it from moisture and it also acts as a prefilter to extend the maintenance cycle on the filter, And THAT is definately not an option with a foam filter.

Any way I also like the K&N in the LTR and not having to put grease on the filter at the base of the foam and hoping that I do not get an air leak in that area and DRAW DIRT INTO THE ENGINE THAT WAY.

Guess you could say that the large hose clamp that secures the filter to the base is a very good way to eliminate those problems, but hey I am not a super mechanic like the big and bad HARDONE

kennerz
10-16-2006, 03:20 AM
People in the know in the automotive world and in the west coast sand world know that uni is the way to go if you want to keep your engine clean.

K&N do breathe well but they also suck more dirt than others, hope you guys are oiling your k&N's properly, there ccan be problems from over oiling, or not using enough. Use foam, have an egine that last long, and the performance difference between a K&N and a uni is negligible. If your smart you will use only a well-oiled foam filter in the sand.

They are many who don't have problems with K&N, however some people really don't know engines that well, especially atv's
and end up running things because of advertising and what the parts counter guy said without any proof.

K&N = best marketing

AL Elks
10-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Most of the people I've seen have problems with the K&N is because they did not clean and oil it properly or often enough. I've had one on my LTZ for over two years now and love it. Just make sure you maintain them and they are fine. All filters let in some dust no matter how good they are. I clean and oil my K&N quite often.

armysig
10-16-2006, 04:50 PM
I have to agree with Al, if you dont' take care of your filter it won't take care of you machine.

I clean my filter the night before I go out riding every time, no exceptions what so ever.

During a race I have seen guys with 2 or 3 pre oiled K&N's to replace the one that was just used before every moto.

I just comes down to how well you maintain you equipment, If you do a preventive maintanence the day before you ride, you machine will work wonders.

BTW I us a K&N with a prefilter and I have never had a problem with a lot of dirt, dust or other objects getting in my intake.

jfarrar30
10-17-2006, 09:47 AM
if you want your ltr to breathe it definetly needs a bigger filter.the filters that are available for it are puny!i think a trx 90 has a bigger filter.i've been using the trinity 3.5" adapter with a 250r uni filter.i've also added two large (1.5" maybe never measured) holes to the very bottom of the airbox and added louvers to the sides.HUGE IMPROVEMENT!the 250r filter is no where near a perfect fit though and if you dont have patience,common sense and are good with your hands you are not gonna get it on correctly.the flange area is quite a bit larger and you have to be very careful when clamping it down it doesnt slip out or pinch in the clamp on the bottom.not an easy task but well worth the effort.i also had to do some trimming and heated the back of the box a little and pushed it out for the filter to fit.

dvx rider1
10-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Where are you guys getting a K&N that is an EXACT replacement for the stock one? I LOATHE cleaning a foam filter and can't wait to get a K&N so if you have one and hate it, pm me, I'll buy it.

Warnerade
10-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by dvx rider1
Where are you guys getting a K&N that is an EXACT replacement for the stock one? I LOATHE cleaning a foam filter and can't wait to get a K&N so if you have one and hate it, pm me, I'll buy it. Is it really that hard to clean a foam filter? I can clean a foam filter perfectly just as fast as i can clean a K&N filter... You cant jsut replace the stock filter...you need to buy a pro flow kit or a trinity kit to adapt to a hose clamp type install.

Ill stick with my foam over a K&N any day of the week.