PDA

View Full Version : Cams!!!

red426ex
10-14-2006, 01:29 PM
I am looking for some info on choosing a cam for a 2000 honda 400ex with a 426 big bore. i am debating a WEB racing cam or a HOTCAM ( stage 2 ). anyone got any advice on which way i should go? quad will be used for ice racing an oval and GP or tt ( road course ) and motocross riding a few times over the summer not much summer racing. also i heard from a friend that hotcams came out with a stage 3??? anyone heard anything about it or does my friend not know wha hes talking about, because i couldnt find anything on it...

thanks a bunch to anyone that can help me choose!!!

RACE HARD!!!!

HETZEL #228

krt400ex
10-14-2006, 05:42 PM
the stage 3 is a stroker cam for big bore strokers. i would recomend the hotcam, cuz u need hardwelded rockers with the webcam, and that is goin to cost u more.

red426ex
10-14-2006, 07:44 PM
well hardfaced rocker arms would not be a problem due to working in a weding/ machine shop i can heat treat and harden them myself.... which cam makes the most power for my dollar???

thanks a bunch

2000 400ex
Rossier full system exhaust ( 1 of a kind )
JE 426 piston
full hinson clutch
lonestar + 3 a-arms
lonestar +4 axle
houser steering stem ( red )
ct rev box
-4 swingarm for axle weight for ice racing
tag T2 bars
dg nerfs and front bumper
ported head
wave break rotors front and rear
lightened flywheel
hotrods crank and connecting rod
douglas beadlock wheels ( due to running studded tires )
K&N filter
home made and welded custom aluminum air box
home made and welded aluminum battery box
fcr carb
that sums up the most of my baby!

krt400ex
10-15-2006, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by red426ex
well hardfaced rocker arms would not be a problem due to working in a weding/ machine shop i can heat treat and harden them myself.... which cam makes the most power for my dollar???

thanks a bunch

2000 400ex
Rossier full system exhaust ( 1 of a kind )
JE 426 piston
full hinson clutch
lonestar + 3 a-arms
lonestar +4 axle
houser steering stem ( red )
ct rev box
-4 swingarm for axle weight for ice racing
tag T2 bars
dg nerfs and front bumper
ported head
wave break rotors front and rear
lightened flywheel
hotrods crank and connecting rod
douglas beadlock wheels ( due to running studded tires )
K&N filter
home made and welded custom aluminum air box
home made and welded aluminum battery box
fcr carb
that sums up the most of my baby!

i am not sure there. the webcams costs only $112 after u send hem ur core, and the hotcams cost $150, so u can decide. many pros use both brands so....

red426ex
10-15-2006, 08:51 AM
alrighty well thanks for the help krt400 ill take ur advice and put some thought into it and make my decision

2muchquad
10-15-2006, 10:52 PM
well hardfaced rocker arms would not be a problem due to working in a weding/ machine shop i can heat treat and harden them myself....

Why not weld up and regrind your own camshaft?Theres only one way to learn right?;)

mad440
10-16-2006, 02:29 PM
im runnin a megacycles mx cam it is my stock cam just reground im not sure what there cantact info is

PismoLocal
10-16-2006, 02:46 PM
I bought a stage 2 hotcam, it was a night and day difference on my 440. I can't really say anthing about the other cams though, every body raves about the HRC cam, its expensive but its rumored to provide the best power gains.

tar
10-16-2006, 02:54 PM
I am pretty sure they don't make the HRC cam for the 400ex though but I could be wrong.

yellow400ex05
10-16-2006, 03:33 PM
hey, i dont want to make another topic and this goes wit the thread. do you have to absoulutely HAVE to get a high comp piston? if you have to get a high comp piston, is there a cam that u could buy that u dont have to put anything else to have it work with it? Like i just want a cam only!

PismoLocal
10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by tar
I am pretty sure they don't make the HRC cam for the 400ex though but I could be wrong.
Im positive they do i almost bought one. I not sure they make them any more but you can still buy them from some places. PM quadjunkies about it I think she is running a HRC cam in her 440ex.

PismoLocal
10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by yellow400ex05
hey, i dont want to make another topic and this goes wit the thread. do you have to absoulutely HAVE to get a high comp piston? if you have to get a high comp piston, is there a cam that u could buy that u dont have to put anything else to have it work with it? Like i just want a cam only!
I know plenty of people that have an aftermarket cam running stock bore/stroke/comp ratio and they say its an awesome upgrade. Personally I wouldn't get a cam unless you already have an exhaust and an aftermarket airfilter too.

krt400ex
10-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
I know plenty of people that have an aftermarket cam running stock bore/stroke/comp ratio and they say its an awesome upgrade. Personally I wouldn't get a cam unless you already have an exhaust and an aftermarket airfilter too.

exactly right. at least get a slip-on first.

BigValvedEX
10-16-2006, 07:07 PM
If you go with too aggressive of a cam with a stock compression piston you will lose more bottom end due to the intake valve being open longer on the compression stroke causing the compression to go down because of fuel/air escaping back into the intake port. With the high compression piston it will make up for the loss on the compression stroke that a long duration cam causes.

yellow400ex05
10-17-2006, 05:12 AM
ok thanks, and yea I'm getting an HMF slip on and a twin air airfilter so it'll be all good. and the 400ex has enough bnottom end it will hardly be noticable.

Oh, and one more quick question!

would it be better to bore it to a 440 with the slip-on and airfilter or just put a cam into it? Thanks alot!

krt400ex
10-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by yellow400ex05
ok thanks, and yea I'm getting an HMF slip on and a twin air airfilter so it'll be all good. and the 400ex has enough bnottom end it will hardly be noticable.

Oh, and one more quick question!

would it be better to bore it to a 440 with the slip-on and airfilter or just put a cam into it? Thanks alot!

if u bore it u will need to put a full system and a cam into it to allow the motor to breathe correctly. so it will be a more cost effective and a better investment to do the cam and a full system first, cuz then u will be all set to do the 440 once u have the money or get bored of the power.

GPracer2500
10-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Just to clear up the HRC cam question: it's an XR400R cam. There was an HRC Power-Up kit for the XR400R and that's were that cam comes from. Since the XR400 and TRX400EX engines are nearly identical....

cals400ex
10-17-2006, 10:25 PM
actually, they did make a HRC cam for the 400ex. however, i do not believe it is still being made. the xr400 cam is one that is slightly more aggressive than the stock 400ex cam. however, i think it is less aggressive than even the stage 1 hot cam if i remember correctly.

cals400ex
10-17-2006, 10:26 PM
yeah basically what you said GP. lol