PDA

View Full Version : 250r Smoking

Cr85rRida
10-14-2006, 12:44 PM
hey all, my R is smoking alot from the exaust. Its not running bad but its pissing me off and smells like **** and makes a mess everywhere so my question is what sohould i do?

to much oil in the gas?

Latemodel32
10-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Sounds like a rich cond.

TheFontMaster
10-14-2006, 03:36 PM
What pre-mix oil, and what ratio are you running it at? I ran amsoil 50:1 in my R and once it got warmed up it barley smoked at all.

deathman53
10-14-2006, 04:58 PM
I use snowmobile klotz 2 stroke oil, it hardly smokes at all, my jetting is also spot on. I'd say you are too rich or too rich on the oil mixture. I use 32:1(4oz/1g) and 114 leaded gas.

Cr85rRida
10-14-2006, 09:03 PM
im runing 32:1 with maxima 2 stroke oil.

also run regular gas in her.

TheFontMaster
10-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Cr85rRida
im runing 32:1 with maxima 2 stroke oil.

also run regular gas in her.

I would check your plug to see what color it is, and see how good your jetting is. I would also switch to amsoil dominator 50:1. If not amsoil, then some other high quality oil with that has a ratio around 50:1. When i switched from 32:1 to 50:1 it made a big difference. The motor ran a little stronger, reved quicker, and sounded better too.

EXtreme-
10-14-2006, 09:17 PM
too much erl. try 40:1 or if it's 927 you'll need to go to 50:1 with the heavy castor oil.

your buddies in the back probly hate you :grr:

250r4life
10-15-2006, 03:21 AM
better yet just dont run any two stroke oil and you shouldnt smoke anything besides your piston and rings...

dont go switching your ratios man... there is probably a reason you are smoking, and its not purely your two stroke oil and your mix... jetting and etc has to be altered when you switch your ratio, and i also dont think it is a good idea to jump around and use different types of oil...

i run yamalube at 32:1, i dont foul plugs, and i dont smoke... of course when your bike has been sitting and is cold, and all the oil has settled towards the bottom and etc... it is natural to smoke for a little bit... but after you get her warmed up and the gas mixed up it should go away... check your plugs and see where your jetting is at....

what you want to do is determine your constant, which should be your type of gas, type of oil, and ratio of oil... you need to decide what you want to run every single time, and then tune your bike in for that set up... but like i said- your 3 fuel contributors need to remain constant... dial it in from there... but dont go switching ratios, oils, etc... sounds like a good way to burn up your engine...

wooleyson
10-15-2006, 04:21 AM
Scientific thinking is the dominant way of solving all of your problems!!! 250r4life has the correct frame of mind for sure. Also if your running regular gas there is less octane in the fuel. Better gas will lead to a cleaner and more complete burn.

BLACKeR
10-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Also if your running regular gas there is less octane in the fuel. Better gas will lead to a cleaner and more complete burn.

not true. if his compression if under 180ish higher octane gas will do nothing but make his back pocket lighter. the whole cleaner more complete burn stuff is bunk. only run high octane fuel if you need it. as for thinking scientifically thats right on. your mixture likely isnt your problem. different 2-stroke oils will have a stronger smell than others. have you noticed that just lately youve been smoking? is the smoke a white color or a buue/grey color? you say its getting all over everything? you mean its blowing oil onto things? its possible your jetting is just way off, which wouldnt make sence with it running well, or you could have a bad crank seal and your getting tranny oil into your top end.

ChvyCruzen
10-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Blacker - I see you are from NY. I am in NY too. Where in NY are you? Where do you ride?

Cr85rRida
10-15-2006, 11:16 AM
250r4life im not going to be switching everything up, it hasent been ran since 2 weeks ago, my guess is ythe gas setteled at the bottom, i only ran it about 2 mins yesterday anyway. i hadda take care of other things, ill run it today and see what it does, but my guess is that it just need to be properly warmed up, ill keep you guys updated thanks for all the help!

BLACKeR
10-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Blacker - I see you are from NY. I am in NY too. Where in NY are you? Where do you ride?

rochester area. i have private land in a couple different locations. ill hit area51 a few times too.

ChvyCruzen
10-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by BLACKeR
rochester area. i have private land in a couple different locations. ill hit area51 a few times too.

Cool, I am in Rochester area too. I go to RIT for Mech. Engineering.

I've seen area 51, its more of a MX than trails right?

Maybe we could meet up one weekend?

st8jacket
10-17-2006, 05:11 PM
It may have a head gasket leak..And it may be burning coolant...250rferlife if correct in everyway about oils and jetting..

on a side note..a good freind was a factory honda mechanic back in the haydays of the R and will not run anything but honda oil in his R and wont sell me anything but it for ours..But yamalube is a good oil indeed..always ran it in my banshee and had good luck with it.

fireburns99
10-18-2006, 07:50 AM
I just went through the whole head gasket thing. what color is the smoke. If its white, you have a blown head gasket, and if its blue, than its just rich.

ShiftFMX
10-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Braaapp!

http://img1.putfile.com/main/9/26821012613.jpg

C-LEIGH RACING
10-18-2006, 10:37 AM
On a 2 stroke racing engine, the carb jetting needs to be set according to how the rider is going to use it.
Say like you have a modded engine & all your going to do is ride around the yard or trail ride some, kinda slow riding & alot of idling, well then you jetting should be on the lean side because if its set rich its getting more fuel than you will burn, BUT you need to be carefull when jetting that carb.
If you jet for that type of riding, kinda on the lean side & then you find a long fire road to blast down, more than likely about time you get the engine wound out she will seize up from not getting enough fuel.
Its all about the jetting & how you ride the bike when it comes to a 2 stroke engine smoking.

Sometimes the crank seal on the clutch side can be going bad & cause the R engine to smoke bad.
I allways overfill the transmission oil for that very reason, if the seal goes bad, the engine will suck oil, smoke like the dickins, & not mess the crank & piston up, a tattletail you could say before its to late.
Neil

Cr85rRida
10-18-2006, 01:01 PM
i think its blue.

fireburns99
10-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Then its running rich. Run some plug chops and see.

86 Quad R
10-18-2006, 02:06 PM
did ya ever get around to running it for an extended period of time?

sometimes when allowing one to set for a while, the gas gets old and simply wont burn right. try running fresh gas in it. stretch its legs out a bit and do some plug chopping/tuning.

is your float level set right?

dunny_12
10-20-2006, 07:53 PM
can i run 110 oct tubo blue in a stock 250 r im new to the 250 R and i love it the power is amazin

st8jacket
10-21-2006, 05:55 AM
yes you can,but if it is stock without porting or head work to raise the compression it is a waste of gas...

Cr85rRida
10-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
did ya ever get around to running it for an extended period of time?

sometimes when allowing one to set for a while, the gas gets old and simply wont burn right. try running fresh gas in it. stretch its legs out a bit and do some plug chopping/tuning.

is your float level set right?

yes i started a new thread because somthing else is wrong but this was the problem once she was warmed up it was fine thank you all now if you will direct your attention to the other thread "somethings wrong" lol