PDA

View Full Version : block off plate help

biggie400ex
10-13-2006, 04:57 PM
I just installed a block off plate for my parking brake. When it gets pressure it leaks fluid. Any ideas? The stock gasket was too big. Thanks

Eric

JOEX
10-13-2006, 08:46 PM
There shouldn't be any fluid on that side of the caliper. The little o-ring on the shaft probably needs replacing, might as well replace all the o-rings while it's apart.

biggie400ex
10-15-2006, 05:58 PM
can someone post a pic of this o-ring. Do I have to disassyemble the caliper to replace it? Or does it just slide over the piston? If I have to take it apart, how do I do that? Thanks guys.

Eric

svahle
10-16-2006, 01:08 PM
I don't have a pic but the )-ring you need fits in the hole that the piston pin slides through. The O-ring is about the size of the end of you small finger.

You will need to disassemble the caliper.

1. Remove caliper and pads
2. Push piston out. I have found you can hammer the piston out by tapping the pin on the back of the piston. Do not hit it too hard so as to avoid damaging or flattening out the end of the pin. Try not to put pliers or channel locks on the piston itself to avoid scarring that can affect the ability of the piston to slide within the caliper.
3. Once the piston is removed, use a very small flat head screw driver to remove the old O-ring. An ice pick also works fine.
4. Clean the caliper thoroughly to remove any gunk especially where all the seals or O-rings go.
5. Put in the new O-ring. Be careful not to damage it. Be patient this is a bit tedious but you till get the O-ring to fit eventually.
6. Go ahead and replace the other seals or rings around the piston while the piston is removed. Since it is apart, do this to avoid a future tear down of the caliper.
7. Clean and grease up all the moving parts on the caliper.
8. Reinstall the piston. Try to push it straight into the caliper to avoid pinching the seals or O-rings.
9. Put the pads back on and mount it on the quad.
10. Bleed the brakes and your ready to go.

I just went into this process blind without any instruction. It is not really that hard to do. There are probably some tricks to the process I don't know, but the above worked for me. Also, when you remove the brake line from the caliper, make sure you have something to catch the brake fluid as it is nasty stuff. Also, pour all the fluid out of the caliper before removing the piston to avoid a mess.

Good luck.