PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about jetting

cgndhhh
10-13-2006, 12:45 PM
I've been looking for a while but can't find the answer, when jetting your bike for the main jet, i know you have to have the bike at WOT and then kill the engine and cruise to a stop(from what i've read) but do u have to go all the way to top gear at WOT and kill the engine? or can i just be at WOT in let's say 3/4 for a couple seconds then kill the engine and cruise to a stop? sorry if it sounds like a dumb question just didnt know if it mattered what gear you were in at WOT any help is appreciated thanks

johnsls
10-13-2006, 12:52 PM
WTF :huh :huh :huh

Usually jetting depends on your mods, engine, exhaust .....

I've never heard you need to take it WOT

300exOH
10-13-2006, 01:00 PM
I think usually 4th gear is used for a WOT plug chop. You don't need to go all the way to 5th(or 6th). 3rd gear might be okay though.

Rancher2005
10-13-2006, 01:14 PM
the idea is to put the engine under load to get a good plug reading. this means pull in the clutch and kill the engine just right after you put it under load. It would be easiest to do this in 5th because your lugging the engine. You could do it in 3rd or 4th but lug the engine slightly uphill.

cgndhhh
10-13-2006, 01:35 PM
thanks guys, i know jetting depends on my mods, my question was whether you needed to put the bike under load all the way to 5th gear to do the plug check to jet it correctly. thanks for ur responses

cgndhhh
10-13-2006, 01:38 PM
johnsls i noticed ur sig you have practically every engine mod im looking to get in a couple months, how do u like the setup? have you had any blown head gaskets? did you do the HD studs? hows the powerband with the stage 2 you have? what compression are you running? and are you running a mix of 50/50?

johnsls
10-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by cgndhhh
johnsls i noticed ur sig you have practically every engine mod im looking to get in a couple months, how do u like the setup? have you had any blown head gaskets? did you do the HD studs? hows the powerband with the stage 2 you have? what compression are you running? and are you running a mix of 50/50?

Well its my first 400ex,, it had a 440 in it but it was cracked when I bought it.. I though I'd be safer bringing it down to a 426
From what I've read though its more on how and who builds it that matters.

No I do not have the HD studs, BUT I've heard for the money its worth it. I've had NO problems.. No headgaskets blown but I also don't run WOT

As far as the power band,, its powerfull, but I may need to adjust my fuel screw.. At idle I can't stab it,, it dies. But if I rev it and take off,, I do just that whaaaahhhhhh later.... I like it alot.

BUT,, I've read a lot on here and I think the poll says that the 416 is more popular. :confused: :confused:

I run straight super gas,, 93 octane,, I think my compression is 11:1 but I can't remember.