PDA

View Full Version : N00Bie & lookin for upgrades - lots of $$

ChvyCruzen
10-13-2006, 09:23 AM
I like this site, its very nice and informative. I've been looking around and decided to join.

I am in the Upstate NY area and I ride trails. My 88 250R is mainly stock except for FMF pipe and silencer, mild porting (forget who did it, could be hand ported :ermm: ) and boyseen reeds.

I'm looking to put in a lot of money to make this thing comfortable on the trails. I sometimes go to Northern PA and ride on the mountainous trails there or the flat trails around my house. I jet accordingly when I change in temp or elevation.

What suggestions do you guys have as for upgrading my 250R to a better trail worthy atv? I've been looking at stuff like a 35 or 38mm Air Stryker carb, maybe a bigger motor like 265 or something? Whats a "powervalve"? I've seen em but dont know what they are like and how the perform on trails. Anything else you guys would suggest? I'm looking at shellin out around $1000 to improve this atv.

elchankoblanko
10-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Well a powervalve is a vlave by your cylinder that sort of changes your porting to get a smoother powerband so you dont have that big hit. Somebody on here can defiently explain it better than I can but you get the gist of it. That would definetly be something that will increase your rideability in the woods that or some aftermarket shocks like PEP Axis or Elkas will really help smooth things out

ChvyCruzen
10-13-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm planning on buying shocks, but im not sure which kind is good for trails either. I wonder how the +2 a-arms work as well in the trails.

As for the powervalve, you say it doesnt make it "hit" so hard and smooths up the powerband. When you say that it makes it sound like the powervalve removes power.... I'd like more explaination if someone else can.

I wanna improve power/response and make the suspension trail worthy.

10-13-2006, 10:15 AM
powervalves make it run with more bottom end power, so it dont "hit" so hard for better control on the track and trails....id say you shoudl get a powervalve if its thta important to you...but for trails get shock first and dont bother with +2 a arms if the trails r tight...

ChvyCruzen
10-13-2006, 10:24 AM
I knew I would end up buying shocks but what kinds are good quality and not too expensive? Anyone have a link to some good stores for that?

I'll consider the powervalve later. I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

10-13-2006, 10:32 AM
you can spend anywhere from 200-1000 on shocks...they can be very expensive, i got my stock length elkas for 330 witch ws an alright deal, look around and compare prices, elka, pep, all those big names are good shocks

look at part at rockeymountainatv.com ...i dont knwo about the prices of shock but tires they r the cheapest i ever found

BLACKeR
10-13-2006, 10:59 AM
since you have a fairly small budget i would start hitting up ebay for some suspention upgrades. i would recoment some +2 or +1 a-arms dependign on how wide the trails you ride are. +1 = 2 inches wider total, +2 = 4 inches wider total. then get some descent aftermarket shocks. personally i think you can find some great deals on the old bodied PEP's and TCS shocks. they perform well and are very reasonably priced. also a 38mm airstriker would be a great improvement. thats just about a grand, with whats left i would get some pro peg style nerfs trust me there for more than looking cool, a steering damper and some protaper bars to cut down on vibration a bit.

ChvyCruzen
10-13-2006, 11:48 AM
I didn't know there were +1 a arms out there. The trails I ride are a little tight, maybe I'll go with +1 if I find a good deal.

The 38mm AS carb wont be "too much of a carb" right now? I've heard that it can be too much of a carb and lose a lot of bottom end -with a stock motor. Again the seller told me the R was ported but I dont know how much and how well it was done.

I already have AC or DG nerfs.

10-13-2006, 12:18 PM
how are your tires?? thats another things to look into and it isnt a bad idea to have about 200 saved just incase something breaks or goes wrong

10-13-2006, 12:20 PM
another thing to look for, is to look at your break pads to see if there is still some life left in them, basic things that just wear out liek those are important to keep up and keep your 20 year old machine decent so it dont end up like your typical tecate or rustd out trikes in the weeds that so many people have

ChvyCruzen
10-13-2006, 12:55 PM
I bought my R from its original owner. The pads are still in great shape. He only rode about 3-4 times a year at first then it sat for like 10 years in his garage. He started it once in a while and maybe rode it for a few minutes in his backyard, but thats it.

I have ITP holeshot tires on the rear right now. Still in good shape. Front tires are some generic brand and still in good shape.

The R has been maintaned very well. It came with lots of extras and all stock parts.

I have more than 200 dollars saved in case something breaks. I wanna shell out a grand right now to get the quad a lil more power and better suspension.

mxduner
10-14-2006, 07:53 AM
I would recommend for tight trails saving your money on a-arms and if you want it a little wider buy front rims with the wide offset 3+2 versus2+3. as far as shocks go if u could get elkas as cheap as honda86 did go with those or get works triple rates mx non rezis.they do help a bunch but they r by no means the best:D they get about 300 bucks for them, but watch ebay for sure.stick with a 35 air stryker or stock for them tight trails and that will keep the response good and bottom end where you need it.

10-14-2006, 09:35 AM
yup and if your really into traisl u could mess with the gearing a lil bit, and get some shocks front and back, and maybe a cool head if you like, drop the compression a il bit and run a lil better fuel and itll give u some more power

ChvyCruzen
10-14-2006, 12:24 PM
I was begining to wonder how a 38 would perform over a 35.

I plan to get a 265 Powervalve, will 35 still work well with the 265 powervalve?

I also thought of the cool head and maybe running a 20cc dome and octane booster. Would that work ok? What kind of booster should I buy? Or is there some kind of mix that is better?

I've messed around with my gears some already. It was 12/38, I put on 13 front. 1st, 2nd and 3rd were too short on 12/38.

250Renvy
10-14-2006, 04:01 PM
I started with an all stock 88 250R with no porting and I ride trails mostly and open fields. $1000 unfortunately isn't a ton of money for the 250R but here's my 2 cents.

A 265 powervalve is great but very expensive even used. So #1 SHOCKS buy new shocks or if you get used ones get them serviced and valved for your weight and riding style - it's important.
#2 BEARINGS - unless it's incredibly low hours the bearing are old, put new ones in the swingarm, wheels, linkage, axle.
#3 If you want more power just get a used cylinder and get it bored to a 265 and ported for woods.
#4 If you have money later +1 A-arms are good because they don't widen the whole quad, they just move them out as wide as the rear end then keep a stock width axle.
#5 I'd also recommend going up a size in tires 23" fronts and 22" rears for more ground clearance

Skid plates are good and antivibe steering stem are also good. An oversize tank is good for long trail rides.

ChvyCruzen
10-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Ok, so maybe inxay on the powervalve.

I thought $1000 would be a good amount to spend on mods... I guess not.

The R has very very low hours. It sat for about 10 years in the dude's garage before he decided to sell it. He didn't ride it too often when he did ride, so engine bearings should be in great shape. I do plan on replacing chasis bearings and wheel bearings, they seem to be worn out.

It already has skid plates, I should have mentioned that. It came with quite a few stuff on it already. I am looking to improve the performance and rideability for trails. Shocks and a ported 265 sounds like a good way to go. I also agree with the larger tank.

Anyone know what size is stock gas tank on 88 R? What would be good for trails? I dont want too big of a tank.

707trx250r
10-14-2006, 06:24 PM
I just built a ct 350pv and love it. It is great on trails since it has 4 stroke torque. But it is $1500 for the top end kit.
later
Adam

mxduner
10-15-2006, 09:51 AM
i think the stock size was 2.6 gallons the clarke gas tank i believe holds about 4 gallons.there is one 4 sale a couple of threads above this one for 100 bucks.

ChvyCruzen
10-15-2006, 07:22 PM
There isnt anything around 3 gallons to 3.5 instead of 4?

250Renvy
10-15-2006, 07:43 PM
IMS makes a 3.6 gallon tank. It doesn't stick out as far because it's built to form around the stem.

Probably won't find it used though. $220 NEW

ChvyCruzen
10-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the IMS 3.6 gal tank? How does it hold up against abuse and wear over time?

BLACKeR
10-16-2006, 05:14 AM
how long do you plan on riding at a time and for how far? i can get a couple of hours of time on my stock tank with a 310. IMO a larger tank isnt needed unless you ride long distances. also never, never put front wheels on with a wide 3-2 offset. your just asking for spindle issues, it also kills your handling.

ChvyCruzen
10-16-2006, 06:30 AM
Sometimes I'm gone for 3 hours and thats about when I start running low on gas and need to refuel - Thats when I ride trails locally. When I go to PA for Majestic Trails I have enough gas because the trailhead is pretty much in the middle of all trails.

I wont do the 3-2 offset wheel then. I wasn't planning on it, but now I know not to ever do it.