PDA

View Full Version : Choices

Architects
10-13-2006, 02:49 AM
I've narrowed it down to these 2 revalves. I ride all MX. Ive noticed some differences between the builders and am trying to distinguish what will suit my riding style best. Is one offering me something not needed? Where are my suspension gurus!? Feel free to post pics of your setups.

Gt thunder

- dual rate up front
- single rear
- Added 7/8 shaft travel

Derisi

- tripe rate fronts
- dual Rate rear
- ZPS

Im looking for unbiased answers as you seem to get a lot of that between the Laz and Derisi debate.

PS - Does anyone have good articles that really get in depth on suspension and what everything does. Something explaining spring rate. Compression and rebound and how to set everything up

Colby@C&DRacing
10-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Our rebuilds are similar to the Derisi but we can also add the 7/8" more shaft travel.

10-13-2006, 08:33 AM
I'd love to see this answered too.

Colby@C&DRacing
10-13-2006, 08:53 AM
A triple rate sag control front shock is functionally a dual rate that allows for lowering the ride height. A dual rate shock that lowers the ride height is closer to a single rate spring ( this is cheaper to make because you only have two springs and one crossover).

The 7/8" shaft travel on our setup lengthen the shock and gain travel ( this is a plus for mx type setup)

Our rebuilds come with new interal valve bodies that flow and perform better than the stock units allowing us to use a two speed rebound stack for better handling in the breaking bumps.

bradley300
10-13-2006, 09:06 AM
the ssd is not extremely needed tho, alot of shock builders (gthunder included) can get th right amount of sag, w/o a SSD spring
the double rate/tripple rate dosent mean squat either, its one builders opinion vs. another. ssd isnt always better than non ssd, and trippe rate isnt always better than dual rate.

the fact is that between derisi and gthunder, you wont be dissapointed with either

cop292
10-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Both are great! Make sure you consider price and MOST IMPORTANT customer service.

F-16Guy
10-13-2006, 11:32 AM
If you're going to race MX with a 450R, I would go with someone that modifies the travel. The compressed length of the 450R shocks is a little long, especially if you are running anything but MX tires. The increased sag is going to eat up a little travel too (unless you're coming down from a jump, of course; then you would have all of the travel the shock can offer).

Architects
10-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Price is no concern. I just want the best Stock revalve possible. These will also be used with +2 arms

Few questions.

Is there an advantage to running multiple springs like in Santos Revalves Vs Laz's dual front and single rear?

What exactly is Zps and what are the benfits? Any negatives?

Do you gain travel when adding +2 arms or am I thinking about this wrong?

Ive heard Sag mentioned. What exactly is this?

Architects
10-14-2006, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing

Our rebuilds come with new interal valve bodies that flow and perform better than the stock units allowing us to use a two speed rebound stack for better handling in the breaking bumps.

Any prices? Also Ive noticed you guys do not use a rear link? Is there any resoning behing this or it's just not included in the price.

F-16Guy
10-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Architects
Price is no concern. I just want the best Stock revalve possible. These will also be used with +2 arms

Few questions.

Is there an advantage to running multiple springs like in Santos Revalves Vs Laz's dual front and single rear?

Theoretically, you should be able to get the same rate of progression using a single progressive rate spring or a combination of springs, but with multiple springs, you are able to fine-tune the rate of progression by using different springs or by using crossover spacers to initiate the next stiffer spring either sooner or later.
ZPS is a very light spring that allows the suspension to sit lower in the travel, but keeps tension on the other springs at full extension. This allows for a lower center of gravity for MX riders so they can take corners faster. A negative would be the reduced ground clearance, but most MX tracks are so well groomed that it isn't a problem.
That's a good question about the +2 arms. I would think that if the arms were straight all the way to the ball joints, you would gain that much more ride height and travel, but the position of the tire relative to the frame when fully compressed would be the same. If they were bent up (gull wing design) at the point where the ball joints on the stock arms would be, you would have the same ride height as stock, and the extra travel would be at the fully compressed end. This is assuming that the shock mount location is exactly the same as stock on both style arms. I'm sure that whoever designs the arms would move the mount location slightly to correct for the extra length of the arms.
Sag is a measurement of the amount that the suspension compresses when a fully geared up rider sits on the quad. I'm not an expert on setting sag, or the effects of different sag settings, so maybe someone else can elaborate.

bradley300
10-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Architects

Few questions.

not really, it just means santo has less progression built into the valving, Laz uses the valving to dial in progession, so he doesnt need as many springs to fine tune

lite spring compresses when you are on the quad. negatives? you have that much less travel. you can acheive the same effect w/o ssd

you will gain WHEEL travel, you proabably arent going to gain any SUSPENSION travel, except with laz/s kit thats adds travel to the shock

Architects
10-16-2006, 04:21 PM
any other input?