PDA

View Full Version : Hotrods crank install

Andrewcordle
10-13-2006, 12:01 AM
So there I was parting together two motors for a buddy of mine and I was taking the crank out and realized that the timing marks on the crank and counter-balance gear didn't mesh. I suppose it could have slipped when I took it apart. Is there any reason that these marks would be aligned differently than stock parts?? I would hate to find out I jacked this install up the hard way!!:mad:

1fst400
10-13-2006, 07:36 PM
what brand motor, crank, year.

Andrewcordle
10-16-2006, 11:55 AM
It is a 2004 trx 400 (well it is now a 440). I am putting in the hot rods crank and rod. Not a stroker crank, just the stock replacement. Thanks for any help.

bwamos
10-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Perhaps the stock counterbalancer was always out of alignment (factory screw up) and is the reason you're replacing the crank now? Just a random thought (I don't know jack about the transmission/crank assemblys).

mad440
10-16-2006, 02:24 PM
i would take the crank back out and make sure that the one marked tooth on the counter-balancer is in between the two marked teeth on the crank, is you continue to put it together with that timeing off your motor is basically going to vibrate itself to destruction

Andrewcordle
10-16-2006, 03:18 PM
When I re-installed the crank and counter ballance the markings meshed the way they should. I was just unsure if there was a reason for it to have been off when I removed it. It could have slipped a tooth when I took it out. I just didn't want to screw this up and was unsure if there would be a reason for the hotrods crank to have a different marking on it. Thanks for the help!!:)