PDA

View Full Version : loud winding noise ltr450

ltrider450
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
i just got my ltr and after im riding for a while when i slow down at a fast rate or when im just cruzing around at a slow speed i think it is my clutch but it makes a loud winding noise. when it happens i try to hear where it comes from i cant direst where the noise is. but when i hear it i tried poping the clutch and it stops the noise most of the time. but i dont no where it is coming from. does neone else have this problem? can anyone help me out maby? thanks alot

AL Elks
10-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Right now your guess is as good as ours. There have been a few transmission failures and quite a few transmissions wining. First thing is make sure when you change your oil to always put in an extra 200ml. This is highly recommended not only by members here but some of the quad magazines as well.

I got it once and it sounded awful. It was bad enough that I purchased the 4 year extended warranty just to be on the safe side.

I'm sure others will chime in on this.

vaughn best
10-12-2006, 08:59 PM
After having the noise myself, I couldn't take it so I was out for a cure. I tryed the extra 200ml of oil, it helped but didn't cure problem. The sure fire way that I found to get ride of it, and have a smoother shifting tranny is to go to you local napa or schucks auto parts store and buy 100% petroleum heavy duty oil stabilizer called Lucas. Follow the directions and you'll be amazed how well it works. I know I was. The web site is www.LucasOil.com if you want to check it out.

bbrad mulvey
10-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Ha I knew you couldnt take it! You had to BLOW the secret you *******!

4TraxRider
10-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Mine made that noise about a month after I had it. I was changing the oil at 3 hour intervals with 10w-40 Maxima synthetic blend. Switched to motorex 10-40 and have been changing and inspecting after every hour and a half or so and haven't heard it since. I don't know if it was coincidence that the oil cleared it up or if it was a one time thing, but I as well went back and bought the extended warranty.
I never heard of the extra 200ml though, but if Al Elks says it I know it can't hurt anything.

ltrider450
10-14-2006, 01:17 PM
thanks every1 ill forsure try the 200ml and the lucas oil my next oil change.

I also read that using synthetic oil has take care of the problem but some people say synthetic isnt nessary unless its a full race quad.

what do you guys think should i switch to synthetic?

my dealer said the extended warrenty is 400.00 is that a good deal or should i look around?

thanks again

AL Elks
10-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Just make sure that that it's 48 months for that price. I think I paid either $422 or $442. Not sure which off the top of my head right now. Synthetic is fine as long as it does not have friction modifiers in it.

Best way to tell is make sure on the Donut (the round symbol either on the front or back of the bottle) that it does not say "energy conserving" across the bottom. As long as it does not have that wording in the bottom portion of the donut it is fine to run. As a matter of fact I am switching back to synthetic on my next oil change. I have the oil, just need to find the time to change it.

ltrider450
10-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by AL Elks
Just make sure that that it 48 months for that price. I think I paid either $422 or $442. Not sure which off the top of my head right now. Synthetic is fine as long as it does not have friction modifiers in it.

Best way to tell is make sure on the Donut (the round symbol either on the front or back of the bottle) that it does not say "energy conserving" across the bottom. As long as it does not have that wording in the bottom portion of the donut it is fine to run. As a matter of fact I am switching back to synthetic on my next oil change. I have the oil, just need to find the time to change it.

thanks ill keep an eye out for that when I switch it might help with the winding noise i been hearing but the guy did say it was 4 years so ill have to go get that i think that noise dosent sound healthy

thanks for the help al :D

Maxxis96
10-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Mine made the same noise at Steel City National and as I pulled off track I went directly to Suzuki's tent and had one of there Tech's listen to it...He told me that it was normal and just to change the oil....Im gonna try some kinda additive next oil change....It just doesn't sound normal to me..haha

berge75
10-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Maxxis96
Mine made the same noise at Steel City National and as I pulled off track I went directly to Suzuki's tent and had one of there Tech's listen to it...He told me that it was normal and just to change the oil....Im gonna try some kinda additive next oil ch

ange....It just doesn't sound normal to me..haha

At the IL national, you should have went over to that same tech and asked him ,after Gust crashed when his tranny locked up in mid air over a table top jump, if that's normal.:huh

Maxxis96
10-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Yeah I just had my friend bring his LTR up the shop that I work at (BARKLEYMOTORSPORTS.COM) and he lost a couple gears and couldn't get it into neutral...We tore the right side case off and found inner case had broke right were the clutch rod comes through...A whole case replacement is now in process...This isn't the first one of heard of doing this either...There is a piece that some people are now making for $30 to prevent this.

AL Elks
10-16-2006, 08:06 PM
It's been said that the replacement cases are also beefed up where the breakage occurred. Tell the mechanic about it so they can let customers know. Most mechanics will just slap it on and not notice the beefed up area.

Maxxis96
10-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah, Were going to install one of these metal brackets on it to help prevent this from happening again...

dixie1
10-17-2006, 07:51 AM
""Yeah, Were going to install one of these metal brackets on it to help prevent this from happening again...""

...hey maxxis96,,could you please elaborate on this bracket...is it available to purchase,who carries it ,how much...or anything like that,, Thanks

Maxxis96
10-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Yeah VPS is making them...but it will be about two weeks before they get made...

I think Cernics have them also...Ask for Kyle...

dixie1
10-17-2006, 08:14 PM
thanks for the info maxxis...whereabouts pgh are you ?

AL Elks
10-17-2006, 08:23 PM
ATP Racing has them also.

According to Yoshi Hinson supplies the brackets to the Suzuki race team.

Maxxis96
10-17-2006, 09:42 PM
im located about 45 min north of Pittsburgh....Irwin area..

wazza35
11-12-2006, 07:22 PM
hi guys im new to this forum i picked up my 07 LT-R450 last week and up untill now its got about 5 houres on it
wen i wos out riding yesterday i started hereing the same winding noise you guys are talking about so i took it back to the shop thismoring and of corse thay no nuthing about it so i also took a print out of this topic with me.
any way to cut a long story short thay took it for a spin and herd the same noise so its at the shop and having the gearbox pulled apart.
i dont no if there doing this becaus thay think it might be a major problem or if there doing it becaus i told them to eather fix it or thay could have it back lol
any way i hope its all well .

Quady
11-13-2006, 05:08 AM
Please keep us updated, coz mine only has 15 minutes and planing to have additional 10 hours this weekend! However my dealer is not selling anything with Warranty!!!! I mean there is no warranty with mine!!!!

hondaracer31
11-13-2006, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Quady
Please keep us updated, coz mine only has 15 minutes and planing to have additional 10 hours this weekend! However my dealer is not selling anything with Warranty!!!! I mean there is no warranty with mine!!!!

What do you mean, no warranty? They ALL have a 6 month warranty from Suzuki. Plus you can buy an extended warranty, too. Sounds like you need to have a talk with your dealer.

wazza35
11-13-2006, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Quady

mate that sounds verry strainge becaus wen i got min i thay told me it had the six month warenty and i also got the extended warenty.
if i were you i would be going back to the dealer and haveing a good chat with them if you get no were i would ring suzuki.
during the chat i had with my dealer this morning he told me it didnt mater if the etire gearbox flow apart it wos under warentey and would be bixed.
im from australia and wen you by a bike or car or anything like that you get a warenty dusent matter if its on road or off road.
good luck and i will keep you all poasted as to wot hapins with myn but uther then the noise i couldent be happyer with it .

Quady
11-14-2006, 11:35 AM
I’ll definitely call the Japes…. Yah, really thanks for the advice.

Can I clarify the winding noise sound? Is it like the sound im hearing in this clip? When/during the rider talks??

here is the link please take a look:_

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5353190354877317943&q=LTR450&hl=en

hondaracer31
11-14-2006, 02:47 PM
No. The winding noise only happens when the quad is moving. The noise is from the tranny for sure, not the motor.

wazza35
11-14-2006, 03:18 PM
my quod only dus it wen the bike is moving.
wen im screaming along in 4th or 5th and pull the clutch in to slow down that is wen it dus it
but only wen you pull the clutch in never wen your on the gas

HOMOJO
11-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Ya that's when my brothers does it when he is slowing down with the clutch in. he brought it to the dealer they said they couldn't get it to make that nose. So they told him the factory warranty last until February so if it blows they will replace it;)

wazza35
11-15-2006, 04:10 AM
got my quod backtoday
thay told me that thay had inspected the cluch and gear box and could find nuthing at all rong with it .
so wile i wos there thay rang susuki australia and asked them about it and the guy on the phone sed that it wos normal to make that sound becaus it is a constant mesh box im stuffed if i no wot that is but sum one might
if he hadent been on speaker phone i dont think i would have beleaved my dealer but i herd that with my own ears.
i asked if it wos anything to wurry about and thay told me no there is nuthing to wurry about becaus aparentley it is normal .
i gess i will wate and see wot hapens if the trans flyes to peaces ile take evrey part of it and throw it throw a window one peace at a time

hondaracer31
11-15-2006, 04:21 AM
Constant mesh gearbox means that all the gears turn all of the time. What I don't understand is, all atv's are constant mesh but this is the only one that whines.?
I didn't figure they would find anything. It's tough to find an intermitent noise. I personally think it's the clutch, but that's just my opinion.

Maxxis96
11-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Yeah I Totally agree that the Noise is in the clutch....I personally think something is expanding when its getting hot and then not meshing like it should....I think this is why when people are adding more oil then recommended it stops the noise...

slick-cat
11-15-2006, 02:03 PM
You guys are only kidding yourselfs! This is a HUGE PROBLEM
that Suzuki will not admit to . I had problems with mine to the tune of 2900.$$$ ....it all started with a whine....just like you say .
There were no upgrades to the 2007 models on the tranz failures! The dealers know this problem by now trust me ,they want to wait out your warrenty and keep there fingers crossed!

I have owned MANY new dirt bikes/atvs[mostly hondas] and NEVER had this kind of trouble ... Il let you all know how the Yamaha treats me for 07 :confused:

hondaracer31
11-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Who's kidding who here? I've got a 5 year extended warranty. If it's gonna break, it's gonna break in that time frame! I know it's a big problem, that's the reason for the long warranty!

Maxxis96
11-15-2006, 03:10 PM
EXCATLY, GET A 5 YEAR WARRANTY.... FUNNY HOW EVERYONE JUST BAILS ON THE SUZUKI AND GETS THE YAMAHA....THEY ALL BREAK IF BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THEM....ITS CALLED MAINTENANCE......CHANGE UR OIL...

Quady
11-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Purchasing additional Warranty is probably best solution, I also have been told that you should perform proper operation "Break in period" for up to 10 hours in order to get max life of your "Brand New" Quad! Now my question to you people who got problems already is, "For how long have you driven your quad easily shifting through all gears (no full throttle) for? lets start answering by giving number of hours riden easily on a new quad from 1 to 10 hours.

Coz im about to write a letter to Suzuki Head office in Japan!

ltrider450
11-19-2006, 04:11 PM
i switched synthetic oil and used the lucas oil additive along with the 200ml more oil and i havent herd the noise ever since. so it seem to be working for now but ill let u know otherwise.

kp

wazza35
12-22-2006, 06:49 AM
ok so if you have red this thred you will no that i have had a problem with my ltr making this noise since the day i baught it well let me tell you if yours is making this nois make or force you dealer to fix it and fix it quick
i here you thinking y am i saying this
well becaus the gear box in my 07 ltr loocked up wile i wos in 5th at full throttle along a fence line and spat me into the fence ive only just goten out of the hospitle after spending 2 weeks in there.
i dont rember mutch but after the box locked up all i rember is the the egin stoping and being hit with a fence poast and uther then that i rember the ambulance ride sort of.
my mates told me one minit i wos screaming along and then went side ways into the fence aparentley i took out like 5 mettle fence poast and a heap of wilre my helmit has a masive gouge on it so thats not good and my bike is well lets just say its not good my dad tood it to the dealer and told them wot hapined and its there at the moment i dont no wots going on with it at the moment nor am i interested to tell the truth i dont real give a **** if thay fix it or not all i no is i will never ride it again .

so yeh if yours is making a noise do sumthing about it and do it now .
if yours is ding it then its a deth machean in the making it nearley woz for me.
dont hink i am new to the racing quod game ive had a cuple of banshees befor i got this one but this is the first 4 stroke ive had but hay a racing quod is a racing quod thay are all bilt for the same perpis .

have fun and pleas bee safe