PDA

View Full Version : Changing tires.

Ncboost
10-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Has anyone changed there own tires. I had the front ones replaced and was $25 to mount each tire. Now I go back to the same place to have the back ones replaced and they tell me $40 for each tire.... Money is not a problem but I cannot willing get raped that bad. Anyone have any tips or tricks to do it your self. Thanks.

400exMO
10-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Try someplace else, I've had them mounted for 10$ for all four.
But trying to do them yourself might be alittle difficult. I've never done it before.

underpowered
10-12-2006, 05:37 PM
breaking the bead is the problem. you need a beadbreaker to do that. Honda Wheels tend to be teh toughest too for some reason. once teh bead is broken all you need is some tire spoons, a little muscle, and some dish soap/water dilution.

$40 a tire is steep. at the shop i work at we charge 15 a tire, or half price if you buy four tires. the only time we charge 40 is if someone is too lazy to take the tire off teh quad and bring it to us, then we charge $40 for that.

m36indiana
10-12-2006, 05:39 PM
i put my tires in a visr to break the beads than use tire tools to get them off and back on, then use soap to pop the beads back on

gotwarrior
10-12-2006, 05:46 PM
If you can get a hold of some tire tools you can do it your self. I have not tryed it yet but some people say to break the bead on them "hard one" is to back over them with a truck. Let all the air out and back over them with something... Keep in mind I have not tryed it yet. But just somthing to think about.

underpowered
10-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by gotwarrior
If you can get a hold of some tire tools you can do it your self. I have not tryed it yet but some people say to break the bead on them "hard one" is to back over them with a truck. Let all the air out and back over them with something... Keep in mind I have not tryed it yet. But just somthing to think about.

backing over them with a truck sometimes works. also another trick is to us a bottle jack to break the beads. once you break one side down, put a pound or two of air back in the tire to make breaking the other side easier.dont put it back on the bead, just add a little air to keep the tire from folding over.

Ncboost
10-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all the ideas ill let yall know how it goes tomorrow.

Xplocivic
10-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Believe it or not, your local Wal-Mart tire and lube can do it!! I get mine done for $5 a tire there, had them do it a bunch of times! I used to pay $25 a tire at the cycle shop until I found that Wal-mart can do it!! Call some local wallymarts and ask!

Ncboost
10-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Ill give them a call in the am thanks.

Ncboost
10-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Well it wasn't all that bad. I broke the bead with a jack while jacking up my truck and that was the hardest part. But these new tires have a ton of grip. I used to be able to steer with the throttle and now you have to hold on a lot more cause it hooks up a lot better and now tends to wheelie were it used to slid in corners.

ITP Holeshots.

krt400ex
10-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Ncboost
Well it wasn't all that bad. I broke the bead with a jack while jacking up my truck and that was the hardest part. But these new tires have a ton of grip. I used to be able to steer with the throttle and now you have to hold on a lot more cause it hooks up a lot better and now tends to wheelie were it used to slid in corners.

ITP Holeshots.

that is why i love the razr tires. they allow u to throttle steer when u want, rail when u want, and they give u awesome forward and braking traction. my tire of choice forever.