PDA

View Full Version : Preload adjustment problem

svahle
10-12-2006, 08:57 AM
I have Works triple rate shocks on the front of my quad. They are well used but do not leak and operate fine with one exception. I was trying to adjust the preload using a spanner wrench. When I turn the preload adjustment the threads also turn. I have tried to hold the threaded piece in place with channel locks, screw driver, etc. but with limited success. The pieces are not stuck together because I was able to get a little bit of adjustment acomplished. Has anyone had this problem, know what is wrong, or know how to fix it. Thanks in advance for the help.

svahle
10-12-2006, 08:58 AM
I should have mentioned that only one of the two shocks has this problem. The other is fine. Thanks again.

svahle
10-17-2006, 08:29 PM
A little help here. Thanks.

NikNacs67
10-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Can't you just hold the bottom nut then knock the top nut loose?

svahle
10-17-2006, 08:49 PM
There is only a single nut on my Works shocks. Thanks anyway.

Colby@C&DRacing
10-18-2006, 08:54 AM
You need to remove the shock from the atv and disassemble the springs, so you can remove the threaded preload collar it needs cleaned and lube so it will turn freely again:)

ctheojr450
04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
the preload collar on my set of works stays stationary by a circlip type design similar to a rear axle. I tighten my proload up this morning by putting the upper shock eye in a vice (not biting on the eye itself but getting a grip on the preload collar), then taking a pro grip and compressing the bottom shock eye to vice. The circlip and upper shock eye move away from the springs as the pro grip is tightened and you can move the circlip to whatever groove you want. The lower on the shock, the more preload. The higher up on the shock, less preload.

svahle
04-18-2007, 02:21 PM
ctheojr450 - Thanks for the input but this thread is kind of old. I sold that R last fall and have since bought and sold another R. lol. Again, thanks anyway for trying to help. Maybe someone else will get some use out of your post.