PDA

View Full Version : hybrid help

georgedoggy
10-11-2006, 09:54 PM
i have a arens 250r with all the gear, and im thinking of getting rid of my 310 powervalve and putting in a yfz450 motor to maintain competitive, but my local parts supplier is warning me against it and that i should just buy a 450r new. i have too much invested in the 250r and i love the way it handles.
do you guys have experience in changing the frame and problems encountered? what about fabricating a pipe to fit? i would of thought that a 250r with this motor would be the best of both worlds?
i thought putting a yamaha motor is easy, but any help you can give me to make up my mind is appreciated.

duneflyer1
10-11-2006, 10:08 PM
it just depends on how much fabrication you want/can do. It will take a lot of work, but i think it will be worth it. If you are going to put another motor, you might want to think about a bike motor. They are set up for more power and torque.

georgedoggy
10-12-2006, 12:59 AM
i herd the gearing in the bike motors was not suited to quads?
i read an article in dirt wheels about tim farrs 426yz and they had problems with the internal gearing?

duneflyer1
10-12-2006, 10:03 AM
I will agree that 1st gear it a bit tall. But just like anything else, you gear your bike accordingly with the sprockets. Also, it depends on what type of riding you will be doing. I ride mostly in the sand, so I can gear my hybrid down to where I dont notice first gear. When I goto the desert, I jump up a couple teeth in the front. The only real time I notice the gearing is when I start. I have to slip the clutch a bit. As far as the other gears go, I havent had any issues.

georgedoggy
10-12-2006, 03:17 PM
ive read a little bit about how the back of the yz motor should go thru the swingarm like an 86 250r motor, is this right? i have a laeger no link rear. is there a way around this or do you have to machine out your swinger?

duneflyer1
10-12-2006, 05:42 PM
on mine, I have a no link houser swinger that connects right to the motor. On my brothers, which is in a modded 400ex frame, it also goes right through the motor.

2muchquad
10-13-2006, 05:51 AM
have a arens 250r with all the gear, and im thinking of getting rid of my 310 powervalve and putting in a yfz450 motor to maintain competitive

Your 310 shouild be faster than most 450s:confused:

10-17-2006, 11:11 AM
You could do this with your pipe depending what your running.
I shortend it and put it on back words and after that it was possisond right.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/4wheeler187.jpg

IS EASY

It wouldnt take as much work as you think. It should only take 3 new new mounts (welding). The 2 bottom motor mounts and the top head mount (if wanted I dont run that mount and its holding up good)
Then front motor mounts need to be made. You all ready have the 250r radiator mounted down.

The pivot area of the motor i think is fatter than the bolt so you eather need to make a sleave and slide it in the motor mount or drill out the 2 holes on the frame wider and put a fater bolt in.

You would need to add a oil tank and weld mounts for it or w/e or else make it a wet swomp.

I dont know how good the sprockets will line with the 450 motor. The motor needs to be mooved over to the left side far as possable. If the sprockets are still not lined up good enough then you have to grind the right side of the pivot area on the swinger thinner so you can slide it over to the left to get the sprockets lined. then would have to adj the axle if its adjustable.

You may need to notch the frame for the carbs intake tube. Not sure if it would be needed. If you do then you need a gesset their for support.

You might need a new intake tube. I kept trying differant intake tubes and The best thing i found was that thin dryer hose(hose dat blows hot air out side of house). It bends any angle needed and works perfect but is thin so a stick could puncure it but not lickly for a stick to get up their.

you could build the hybrid in 1 day if you have all the parts needed.

georgedoggy
10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
thanks slow but fast,

that makes sense, but what would help would be a photo of someones 250r with the 450 motor in. maybe a photo of the swingarm section.