PDA

View Full Version : crank problem

rea
10-11-2006, 02:07 PM
I was riding yesterday and my R seized at first i thought the piston but noooo!So i tor the whole thing apart and its the left side of the crank binding on sumthing.Im guessing its the bearing but not sure i havent ever taken the crank out does anyone know how without taking it to a dealer or happen to know what it might be

AtvMxRider
10-11-2006, 02:26 PM
You have to totally disassemble the engine meaning the cases have to be split.

rea
10-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah the cases are split every thing is out just the crank in the left side of case need to know how to get it out

AtvMxRider
10-11-2006, 02:32 PM
tap it out with a rubber hammer.

rea
10-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Thats it

Rich250RRacer
10-11-2006, 03:07 PM
DO NOT TAP ON THAT CRANK! If there's a chance that it's good you will knock it out of true. The proper way is to press it out of the left side. I can't tell you how many times I've told this to people, I should just let it go and let them learn for themselves, but I hate to see somebody damage good parts.

AtvMxRider
10-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
DO NOT TAP ON THAT CRANK! If there's a chance that it's good you will knock it out of true. The proper way is to press it out of the left side. I can't tell you how many times I've told this to people, I should just let it go and let them learn for themselves, but I hate to see somebody damage good parts.

Knock it out of true with a rubber hammer???? I don't think so.

rea
10-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah well it dont matter taping on it with a rubber hammer doesent work its still in there.My guess is it has to be presed out

86 Quad R
10-11-2006, 03:45 PM
try freezing the unit then slightly heating the bearing up with a small propane torch.

Aceman
10-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer

I can't tell you how many times I've read you telling people not to do this!:D

rea
10-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Well for curiositys sake what would happen if your crank was struck untrue and how would you find out

86 Quad R
10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by rea
Well for curiositys sake what would happen if your crank was struck untrue and how would you find out

what a costly "what if" experiment that would be.:rolleyes: it's a crap shoot fellers. a 50/50 chance............ why risk it? even with a rubber mallet. if the crank will not come out willingly i see no reason to force it out, even with a rubber mallet. some cranks fit looser than others. i say try my lil suggestion and if that dont work then have it pressed out like the good book says. :blah:

DPR250R
10-11-2006, 09:17 PM
The crank has to pressed out of the left side case.

You can hit it with hammer without knocking it out of true if you set up the case/crank assembly properly... but I would not recommend it and it probly will not come out without some serious shots....

That will be the easy part... the tough part will be if the left main bearing siezed or spun on the crank... at that point you will have to use a bearing splitter or cut the bearing off...

DPR250R
10-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by rea

Vibration and premature bearing wear...

To diagnose you need V-blocks and a dial indicator...

rea
10-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Well i just had it pressed out.To have it pressed out new bearing and seal installed only cost me 50 bucks.Well worth it to have it done right