PDA

View Full Version : yfz or trx 450r help quick!!

parts eeter
10-11-2006, 10:52 AM
I am wanting to upgrade to a faster more stable quad and all of my buddies went with the Honda 450rs some e start and some kick.However I found a great deal on a tricked out yfz up the street from me.It is an 04 model.I have heard alot of pros and cons like the honda guys dawgin yamis and so on.But I have heard of some serious reliability problems from this year yam.Is it hype??Or just Yami bashing.I have 4 gs to work with and want a new quad.So to all u guys in the know.Please share your knowledge.thanks.

ghott
10-11-2006, 12:18 PM
The YFZ can each be made to go just as fast as the other. But....Mod for mod...the YFZ is faster. It takes just a bit more modification for the R to keep up.

I've heard very little reliability problems with YFZ's. Some 04/05 R's have crank bearing problems. Some 06 ER's have had electric starting cam decompression issues.

I own both a modified 05' YFZ and modified 05' R. It comes down to which is more comfortable to you.

In my opinion, the YFZ is geared more toward true MX. While the R is geared slightly toward MX, but is better for the woods/trails.

Bottom line, which is more comfortable? I'm selling my YFZ because my R is much more comfortable. This could be due to the fact that I'm 6'5", and the R is more comfortable to bigger riders.

Ride both quads, see which on YOU like!

parts eeter
10-11-2006, 01:12 PM
I am gonna ride the yfz this weekend and have ridden several hondas with many different mods.The odd thing is that the fastest r I rode was box stock.I rode some with slip ons and full pipes and air box mods but none with any internal work,other than jets.I havent ridden any yfzs yet but they are cheaper to get as all of the hondas are kick only until like 06 and up.so I think I might end up with the Yami but I havent rode it yet.realistically I wont need any more power than either offers in stock form.I just want electric start and plush stable suspension,with a reliable motor.I found a YFZ up the street for 3500.00 that is an 04 and the guy mostly rode it with his kids on their eton 110s so if anything the clutch might be smoked from riding it so slow.It has full skids,slip on,and jetting with razrs.It sounds like a steal.I figure I can sell my 416 EX,Gt Thunder,Houser,Pro Circuit,Maxxis Ex for prob around high 2000 region on ebay.So I should get most of my money back.thanks for your help.its really helpful.

ghott
10-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Just as long as its in good shape and has been well maintained....oil changes and etc.

And me may have geared it down by going with a smaller sprocket up front, or with a larger sprocket in the rear so that he could "putt" around without wearing the clutch.

Maybe something you should ask.

Good Luck!

parts eeter
10-12-2006, 10:57 AM
I see u r in the WV.Where you located I am in the 26554 area close to Morgantown,Clarksburg and Bridgeport.always lookin for more riders.The guy with thee YFZ ran Amsoil full synthetic from day one and disassembled quad for greasing when it was new and every so often.he maintained it very well.I cant wait to ride it.I have been watching the Ex on ebay and I have seen much lesser machines than mine bringin 2500 or so.I should do Ok with mine.I tried to give it to my girl but shes scared of it.Oh well mo $$$ Fo me:D

ghott
10-12-2006, 11:01 AM
I live in Capon Bridge, WV...its in the eastern panhandle, very close to Virginia. But I go to college, and stay in Shepherdstown, WV (also eastern panhandle), which is very close to Maryland.

I have many many friends that live in Morgantown. Most of them actually go to West Virginia University. I usually visit them several times a year to hang out.

I'll have to let you know the next time I venture down there, we might be able to do some riding.

Flodies400ex
10-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by ghott
But....Mod for mod...the YFZ is faster. It takes just a bit more modification for the R to keep up.
damn I guess you dont have a good bike because my bike has some work to it and I can smoke a yfz anytime Mod or no Mod and I think you just dont have good bike that I can tell lol:devil: :devil: HONDA are good bikes it just depends how well you take care of it and what kind of riding style you are but
I have rode a yfz and they are way to low for me so yea if you like low that seems like everytime you turn your going to fall off then go for the yfz but if you have a chance I would go with "honda" but they are both great bikes

ghott
10-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Flodies400ex
damn I guess you dont have a good bike because my bike has some work to it and I can smoke a yfz anytime Mod or no Mod and I think you just dont have good bike that I can tell lol:devil: :devil: HONDA are good bikes it just depends how well you take care of it and what kind of riding style you are but

I was referring to the 04/05 YFZ's & R's. If you would have read the original poster's question, it was asking about a "2004" YFZ. I compared the 04/05 R's to the 04/05 YFZ's because the YFZ's are indeed faster mod for mod. 04/05 stock YFZ has approx 3 more HP than the 04/05 TRX. Why do I know the out come of this situation? I own BOTH. Do you?

The 06/07 TRX makes maybe 1 more peak HP than the 06/07 YFZ.
Stock for stock, and mod for mod, the outcome will be directly relative to rider weight and rider skill. The power both engines make is too close.

I also do not appreciate you bashing my bike. Its an 05' with many mods. It does just fine for what I use it for. And I've also whooped a couple 06' HRC bikes, and have been whooped by even more modified 06' TRX's.

Now sit.

parts eeter
10-13-2006, 06:19 AM
Just add that dude to your block list man.these forums are a great assett to all, and people always have to say some stupid stuff and piss off the very people that make this a great tool.Hit me up anytime u r in Motown.The weekend is almost here and my chance to ride that yfz.Dude works out of town and comes home tonight!! Cant wait

Flodies400ex
10-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ghott
I was referring to the 04/05 YFZ's & R's. If you would have read the original poster's question, it was asking about a "2004" YFZ. I compared the 04/05 R's to the 04/05 YFZ's because the YFZ's are indeed faster mod for mod. 04/05 stock YFZ has approx 3 more HP than the 04/05 TRX. Why do I know the out come of this situation? I own BOTH. Do you?

The 06/07 TRX makes maybe 1 more peak HP than the 06/07 YFZ.
Stock for stock, and mod for mod, the outcome will be directly relative to rider weight and rider skill. The power both engines make is too close.

I also do not appreciate you bashing my bike. Its an 05' with many mods. It does just fine for what I use it for. And I've also whooped a couple 06' HRC bikes, and have been whooped by even more modified 06' TRX's.

Now sit.

sorry about that because it just every day we have these posts and it just mamme lol but yea I bet your bike is fasttttttttttttt

450rJam
10-13-2006, 09:29 PM
the 06/07 has more than "maybe 1 peak hp more"
its more like 3-4 and I can see where readers could missunderstand your post. saying the yfz is faster mod for mod is a pretty generic statement. you may want to make ref. that your talking about 2-3 year old quads.
IMO mod for mod the R closes the gap
04/05 with pipe,cam,filter, etc. will be very close to a 04/05 yfz with pipe,filter,cam,etc.
If you can get the yfz for good price (sounds like it is)
you wont be sorry............and it dont mater what your friends ride as long as you can all have fun.
if everyone rode the same thing there wouldnt be as much competition.

mstrav1
10-14-2006, 01:59 AM
ok I have an 04' honda 450 bought new sep 2 2004 with all the mods listed below, no batteries starts first or second kick everytime

before this bike I had one of the first 04 yfz450 quads. it was a dam lemon!!!! electrical probs, 3 batteries , water pump diaphram a,d chain roller. I dont jump, I drag race and am anul about the care I give my bikes.

if you are going yz get an 05' or newer. They are both equally fast, but based on the year you are looking at buy a newer!!!!

KrazyKeith
10-14-2006, 05:02 AM
I would stay away from that YF I never owned one myself and do not care to. Out of the 10 ppl I ride with there are 3 YF's, a LTR, and 6 450r's. 1 of those yamaha's still run. One of the others has all kinds of problems and is about to be parted out. The other has some sort of elec. prob that makes it pop like krazy on uphill climbs and sometimes it dies alltogether (not a jetting problem). Not to mention He needs a backpack to carry home all the parts that fall off it while we are riding. I don't wanna sound like a yf basher but from the experiences that I have saw I would stay far far away. Im sure there is some yamahas that do hold up and run good and are dependable but I havent seen it. Us Honda owners have not had any troubles what so ever. Keep lookin for a R and you will better off in the end. In my opinion you would be "pritty stupied" to buy a yf. Good luck with whatever you decide.

450rJam
10-14-2006, 06:09 AM
a yf ? is that like yfz ?
just currious because you didnt call the honda a tr lol.
I have had good luck with all my honda's so thats what I stick with, but I havnt heard of alot of problems with the yfz's
the early 450r's had bearing prob's, the 06's have starting issues
nothing is perfect yet.

MAD450r
10-14-2006, 06:48 AM
I have the 3rd 04 my dealer got in. As for bearing failures they were late 04's and early 05's. Even that was few and far between.

I usually stay out of these threads but im getting sick of people that hear half the story and bash a quad. No matter what brand if you maintain it well it'll hold up better.

Dont take this statement the wrong way please. Of all the guys we ride with around here only 1 has a yfz. He has no more problems then the rest of us do if we dont maintain things.

These newer higher performance quads cant be ridden like the 400ex. Its more than an oilchange here and gas it up.

If you dont want thngs to wear out regrease more often clean the air filter more and just check you quad over more often. No matter what color/brand you ride.

10-14-2006, 01:29 PM
My dad can beat up your dad!!