PDA

View Full Version : ITP Steel Rims

rooster300ex
10-11-2006, 10:32 AM
I have a pair of rear 20-12-9 kenda trakkers on 9x9 steel rims. I got them from a guy that owed me. Man them things are really heavy all mounted up.I don't even wanna try running them up there in waynoka. I was thinking about what I wanna run at lil sahara next week, and I thought about putting them 20-12-9 kenda's on a pair of stock 300ex rims 9x8.

Do ya'll think switching out the rims for the 300ex aluminum will make a big difference on the total weight of them. I'm thinking it will make them alot lighter.

300exOH
10-11-2006, 10:35 AM
I think you're right. It should make a notable difference. I don't know the exact weight but my wifes quad had steel rims with stock tires and we changed them for aluminum rims and aftermarket tires and they were much lighter than the stockers.

rooster300ex
10-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Do ya think it will make a huge difference. And i'm also taking a razer blade and cutting 2 paddles off each side. I've seen alot of people do it at lil sahara that thought they had to many paddles and I think I do. There is 8 paddles on them and I think 6 will work better.

300exOH
10-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Do ya think it will make a huge difference. And i'm also taking a razon blade and cutting 2 paddles off each side. I've seen alot of people do it at lil sahara that thought they had to many paddles and I think I do. There is 8 paddles on them and I think 6 will work better.

I would think so. I never weighed the wheels but there was a big difference just judging by holding the two. I would say there would be at least a couple pounds between the steel and aluminum rims. I don't know much about sand tires but it sounds like you could cause a balance issue by cutting off paddles. It would help with the weight though. I was told that losing 7 lbs is equal to adding 1 HP so every pound counts.

rooster300ex
10-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I would think so. I never weighed the wheels but there was a big difference just judging by holding the two. I would say there would be at least a couple pounds between the steel and aluminum rims. I don't know much about sand tires but it sounds like you could cause a balance issue by cutting off paddles. It would help with the weight though. I was told that losing 7 lbs is equal to adding 1 HP so every pound counts.

For sure in the dunes. The lighter the better. Especially stock honda wheels. They are light as hell. Ligther then any aftermarket .190 aluminum rear rim. I think. I guess i'll just have to try them and see how they work. I've never really heard anybody complaining about cutting paddles off. I've seen it done so many times too. I think if anything it will allow my tires to spin alil more, and you need some tire spin in the sand.

300exOH
10-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
For sure in the dunes. The lighter the better. Especially stock honda wheels. They are light as hell. Ligther then any aftermarket .190 aluminum rear rim. I think. I guess i'll just have to try them and see how they work. I've never really heard anybody complaining about cutting paddles off. I've seen it done so many times too. I think if anything it will allow my tires to spin alil more, and you need some tire spin in the sand.

Yeah I'd give em a try and see how they work. It can't hurt. If anything maybe you'll use a tad less fuel. I wasn't sure about the cutting off paddles but if that many folks are doing it it may not be too bad. It almost sounds like a sand tire is too much in the dunes for a 300. It sounds like an agressive trail tire would work just as well since you need the wheel spin for the sand. Just a thought. Like I said I've never rode the dunes but I have seen many pics of guys riding with trail tires in sand.

rooster300ex
10-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Yeah I'd give em a try and see how they work. It can't hurt. If anything maybe you'll use a tad less fuel. I wasn't sure about the cutting off paddles but if that many folks are doing it it may not be too bad. It almost sounds like a sand tire is too much in the dunes for a 300. It sounds like an agressive trail tire would work just as well since you need the wheel spin for the sand. Just a thought. Like I said I've never rode the dunes but I have seen many pics of guys riding with trail tires in sand.

Yea at first I was thinking about running my dads stock 300ex tires, and dropping a tooth up front. I'll prolly still bring them, and try em. I buffed alil off of the top of the paddles to the depth of skat traks gliders. Thats what they recommend for a 300ex. Skat trak glider 20-10-8 6 paddle for 300ex. Since I only goto the dunes twice maybe 3 times a year. I'm just gonna wear out what I got. Thanks for your replys man.