PDA

View Full Version : I Have $400

ShiftFMX
10-11-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm Going to pick up a 450r Saturday. It's bone stock except for AC Nerfs and Bumper. I have $400 to spend on parts when I get it. What Would you Do with it.

I'm thinkin I want a Tag T2 kit then Save up for a Sparks Pipe/Jet Kit/Filter.

MR.BIG
10-11-2006, 10:17 AM
I would get the hrc kit!

xsr_racing28c
10-11-2006, 10:36 AM
I would get a full system exhaust , and take the air box lid off..

MAD450r
10-11-2006, 11:53 AM
In the future I would get a full system. The hrc really wakes up the 04-05's topend.

After the hrc and pipe i'd look into suspension.

ITSTOCK
10-11-2006, 12:00 PM
skip the power mods for now, save up, and get full (or at least front) suspension/a-arms. For right around $400 (maybe a little more)you can find some real nice aftermarket used shocks :eek2:

ghott
10-11-2006, 12:12 PM
We need to know what you'll be doing with it before any mods can be suggested.

TT, XC, MX, Trails, Drags?

We also need to know what year R it is. My recommendations for performance mods vary greatly between the 04/05 and 06/07 machines.

ShiftFMX
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
It's an '04, I plan on doin mostly Recreational riding with friends, riding around the house and trails. Nothing too serious, Power isnt a serious issue for me, I'm more concerned with handleing.

gbcap
10-11-2006, 12:36 PM
revalve and link on the rear suspension. worst part of the suspension by far. the fronts are pretty good. esp if you are between 175 and 200lbs. or close to that. the rear sucks on the other hand.

then i would get a dampener. even for a rec rider they are worth it. hours of trail riding is bound to wear you out. as you get tired you are more likely to hit something and without a dampener it cand quickly become an issue. even if its a cheap stick style i would get one. but if you can put 450 into a precision it is worth ever penny.

Martin Blair
10-11-2006, 12:39 PM
I love when people do this, I mean its so open ended, I vote that you give the $400 to me, I am obviously a great addition to any quad, however I will never see you or your quad, but giving the $400 to me would be your best investment, I will make you a sticker and mail it to you that gives you 50 biazilian hp.

Martin Blair
10-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Here is a diagram of how it works, just repleace the car with you quad.

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/b/b1/Ricer.JPG

ghott
10-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Martin Blair
I love when people do this, I mean its so open ended, I vote that you give the $400 to me, I am obviously a great addition to any quad, however I will never see you or your quad, but giving the $400 to me would be your best investment, I will make you a sticker and mail it to you that gives you 50 biazilian hp.

Don't bash.

The guy is open for suggestions.

He isn't going to throw $400 away. Obviously he feels that a wide variety of opinons will help him in his decision.

And...I highly doubt your above comment is a valued opinion.

Martin Blair
10-11-2006, 12:44 PM
My personal favorite, is get the body kit but dont paint it, that is this ticket, like 150 extra hp

Martin Blair
10-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by ghott
Don't bash.

The guy is open for suggestions.

He isn't going to throw $400 away. Obviously he feels that a wide variety of opinons will help him in his decision.

And...I highly doubt your above comment is a valued opinion.

Its a little humor, I appologize if it offended anyone, In figured most would laguh at it, but take my sugesstion very lightly, or just ignore them

ghott
10-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Martin Blair
Its a little humor, I appologize if it offended anyone, In figured most would laguh at it, but take my sugesstion very lightly, or just ignore them

I took it as bashing.

I apologize for getting on you for lightening things up.

Carry on. :macho

ShiftFMX
10-11-2006, 01:30 PM
So, Out of 13 replies, about 3 ofthem were serious. Thanks guys. I asked for help from people that already have 450's and hoped they could tell me where Improvement was needed most...I guess I'm on my own on the this one.

ghott
10-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
So, Out of 13 replies, about 3 ofthem were serious. Thanks guys. I asked for help from people that already have 450's and hoped they could tell me where Improvement was needed most...I guess I'm on my own on the this one.

Haha, don't get upset.

I would second the shock revalves someone stated earlier. That would be a great starting point.

If you were looking for mild performance mods, buy yourself the HRC jet kit, and remove your airbox lid. Thats a horsepower or two just for the price of a jet kit, which you will probably need down the road regardless.

Pred_003
10-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Just recently picked up my 04 and if your looking for handling .... you better get on the a arms and front suspension.... don't think for 400 you can get ALL that you need but i've noticed that the 450r is MUCH narrower than the ltr450 and close to the YFZ.... Just my 2 cents and thats the direction i'm going....

JRP
10-11-2006, 01:44 PM
hey man, i wish i would of gotten aarms and suspension first before i spent any of my money. I would deffinately get suspension and aarms first, or atleast suspension.

tltcracing
10-11-2006, 02:30 PM
because you said you would be doing mostly rec. riding, i say get the shocks revalved. first by the rear linkage (gt thunder would be good) and rework the shock for the link (also send it off to gt thunder for the work). then the front shocks, they arnt as bad but it still helps with the revalve. then see how much money you have and go from there. if you have enough buy a steering dampner. any one helps but, if you can, buy a higher end one such as the precision one. replace tires only after they have worn out. and the handelbars are fine, just buy new ones whan you bend the old ones. if you ever want more power then i strongly suggest the HRC kit. huge gain over stock power. it costs about the same as a slip-on pipe but gives more then a full top-dollar pipe jetted perfectly, it is a very very awsome kit. good luck with your decisions.

ShiftFMX
10-11-2006, 03:05 PM
I think I'm gonna save up a little bit more and send my suspension to GT Thunder.

Revalve and respring all 3 shocks with a new rear link - $740.00

That sounds way better than buying all new shocks!

exrider44
10-11-2006, 03:24 PM
good call man the rear linkage is horrible I would defintely invest in that first if you have the coin for the front thats cool to.

quadman 05400ex
10-11-2006, 03:30 PM
if i were u id got to the tiddy bar :blah: BUt im not old enof:devil: jkjk but the hrc kit would be a good idea or some tires

hoopd450
10-11-2006, 08:51 PM
have gt thunder do the suspension then get a good set of tires.

Pred_003
10-12-2006, 05:55 AM
I've heard they do good suspension work as well.... You may want to check them out before you make your move... i think they'll set your suspension up for XC for about 100 cheaper than GT Thunder.... Does anyone have any other input about DeRisi's set up compared to GT Thunder... I'm going to do this also and would like the best bang for my buck....

Flyin-Low
10-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Wow, seriously guys... I do MOSTLY hill climbs, and FAST trailing and my suspension is good enough for that. I turned the compression down a bit and they work fine.

Spend the money on a good exhaust and a jet kit. Theres as much power as your ever going to need for what your doing.

Later, if you find that the suspension just insnt good enough for ya... then get the rebuilds. Later if you dont like your a-arms get some of those Slicast Max clearance a-arms. They are MINT for trails.

Also, get rid of those dinky plastic skids on that 450 and get some serious armor. If theres any rocks or stumps on the trails you ride the stockers will cumble.

And the Trail Tech VAPOR computer I have on my 450 is amazing. Good for everything... And not too pricey.

Just my oppinion.

-Martin

10-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
I think I'm gonna save up a little bit more and send my suspension to GT Thunder.

Revalve and respring all 3 shocks with a new rear link - $740.00

That sounds way better than buying all new shocks!

It was the best mod I did to my quad. Well worth the money.

ShiftFMX
10-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
It was the best mod I did to my quad. Well worth the money.

Do you have close up Pics of the shocks? How do they compare to say...elka triple rate after they have been redone?

n2deer
10-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Not trying to jump on your thread. But when you do have these mods to your suspension done how does it effect the ride and say climbing hills or the various trail type riding. Not saying it doesnt just very interested. The stock 450r suspension is all I know, so I dont know any different. thanks

j_cyrus3
10-12-2006, 10:55 PM
SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION. That's all I can say. Screw more power(for right now anyway) get used to your quad and make sure you can handle a stock one. You don't need too much power, then you won't be able to hang on to what you have. My buddy is going through this right now and isn't even finishing races because his quad has too much power for him to handle. Get revalves from GT Thunder, that's the only way to go. After suspension, I say tires, skids, then some handlebars, then a good dampner. That's about all you need for a basic trail rider.

MAD450r
10-13-2006, 05:14 AM
more power or suspension

99% of the racers will tell you its suspension not motor pipe or other stuff adding power. Yes they usually do both, but first is handling then power.

I had a fully elka suspended 416ex before I got my hrc equiped 450r and let me tell you the handling sucked in stock form no matter how I set it up it was worse handling and felt tippy compared to my ex.

So I widened it like my ex then had derisi do my suspension. The best mod I did to my R was suspension it made me faster.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/pf5d51cf10ee289d3211c45ef9b7bf035/ef9d53fd.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/p0b0e186e13740f6aeaa1dbeaf0685461/ef9d5401.jpg

Soon i'll pics of my new frontend. Still have the derisi shocks but I switched from a burgard +2+1 arms to lonestar +2.5+1's had them coated by bkperformace to firered bottoms and chrome pc on the uppers.

Coolidge
10-13-2006, 07:06 AM
I'd vote for HRC kit + filter. (thats the only thing Ive done so far...) The results were nothing short of amazing.