PDA

View Full Version : 250 R problems.

Johno88250R
10-10-2006, 07:21 PM
I just bought a 250r last week. I bought it from a friend. I am having some problems with it. It likes to get hot, it is fouling plugs all the time, and it is down on power from when i first rode it. This is my first 2-stroke .

I pulled the reeds out to look at them, there was a gap between the two fiber parts of the reeds. The reeds were really oily as well.

He rode the bike a lot harder than i do, we were talking about it today and thinking maybe it is jetted to fat for the way i ride. Could all the problems be fixed with just changing to a smaller jet in the carb.

Oh the bike has a FMF gold series pipe and silencer, boysen rad valve, its 60 over with a wiseco piston, hot rod crank and rod.

Any help would be apprciated.

86250rrider
10-10-2006, 09:07 PM
first get new reeds ,then i would do a compression test. then document the number in your owners manual along with the date.depending on number, then get some fresh plugs and start looking at the jetting.the reeds should have no gap between them and the cage. good news .....its gonna get quicker!!

GT300
10-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Sounds like it needs a new top end. Especially if he rode it hard. Do you lug the motor a lot?

Johno88250R
10-11-2006, 10:58 AM
It was just rebuilt like 2 months ago. I don't really lug it. I know it isn't really good for them to be lugged. I will check compression and post the numbers here in a few mintues.

86250rrider
10-11-2006, 11:09 AM
let me know ..k . can those reeds be flipped?

86 Quad R
10-11-2006, 11:56 AM
in most cases the reeds can be flipped over and re-used however, if they've started to frey on the corners, it's pointless. i personally recommend you get the fiberglass versions. they last 10 times longer.

sounds like you are running your jetting on the phat side. once you've gotten the reed issue ironed out i'd do an "across the board" plug chop.

what are the signs that it's running hot?

Johno88250R
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Well found the problem. The coolant level was low (I didn't think to check it until it ****ed up.) and it was getting hot (overflowing from overflow bottle. and in turned burned up the rings. The reeds are taking care of. So i guess all that needs to be done is a rering becuase the cyclender and piston look great.

Oh compression was only 40 or so.

I do have one question can I mill the stock head and get a good performance gain and if so how much.

86 Quad R
10-11-2006, 01:51 PM
something lead up to the piston/ring failure.......

can you be for certain that the head gasket wasnt leaking and allowing cylinder pressure to excape into the cooling system? was there any signs of coolant getting into the cylinder? what caused the low level of coolant? where did it go?

if at all possible i'd check the deck of the head and cylinder for proper gasket seal.

as for milling the head i wouldnt bother. get yourself a OEM 3 layer gasket and use the thinner outside one along with a gasket sealant and it will give you about as much compression as you need for pump gas.

Johno88250R
10-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the tip on the head.

The low level of coolant was from just filling the radiator and not filling the system. (previous owner) From the last time it was ringed. He rode it a combined 2-3 hrs before i bought it and was never more than around the block.

The head gasket was sealed, it hasn't been off the cylc. for the last 2 times it was ringed he said.

What coolant do i put back in the bike? Just antifreeze or is there some special stuff i need?

On the the head gasket do i just grind the brass rivets off and spray the thin black part with gasket sealant then. Does it need to be a new headgasket?

Sorry to sound like a total newb to working on things I assure i am not, If this was a mustang if could have it fixed and running again by now. :D

86 Quad R
10-11-2006, 03:40 PM
regular coolant will be ok. most run it 50/50 so a gal of 50/50 will be fine. for future reference. when ya fill the system, you can squeeze the hoses and get the air out or start it, let idle and then cap it off but, usually the air will work its way out.

the 3 layer gasket i referr to is a three layer metal gasket that is held together by the two end tabs w/flare rivets. the gasket can be used over en over again provided that it is cleaned and coated after each use. i've had the same one for 7 years.

iamjasyn
10-11-2006, 06:46 PM
If the head was fine before, now that it's been overheated, you better check the head and barrel for warpage. Last time I overheated my top end I had a bit of lapping to do to get the parts back within tolerance. No kidding.

Johno88250R
10-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Ordered a new set of rings today. Should be putting it back together next week. I am also going to use just one of the thin parts of the head gasket. So hopefully when it goes back together it will run a little better and i will get some coolant for it.;)

707trx250r
10-12-2006, 07:21 PM
I would check your cylinder and head with a strait edge. It doesn't take much to warp the alunimun. I went through this and just ended up buying a new ct cylinder. I would really check it and use a torque wrench on assembly.
later \
Adam

395Rider
10-12-2006, 10:45 PM
This will atleast help you get the most out of your pipe. I got my used also and missing parts of the exhaust.

Johno88250R
10-13-2006, 07:13 AM
I am having the cycl. and head checked today. I don't have anything that i trust to be straight. So I am running it by my buddy at the machine shop.

zach450rnut
10-13-2006, 08:49 PM
was the cylinder and head warped hope not man i talk at ya later i got the money for u

Johno88250R
10-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Nope it checked out fine.