PDA

View Full Version : what exhuast for 250r?

tants
09-04-2002, 07:05 PM
i want a good low/mid exhuast for my 250r for mx.
im thinking about the ESR trx6, or the LRD adjustible
thanks

ESR250R
09-04-2002, 08:18 PM
if u want adjustablity u should go with the lrd. if u want a good bottom end pipe from what ive heard there is none better than the esr trx6 and bills pipes. i like my esr trx 5 pipe alot.

09-04-2002, 08:19 PM
LRD!!!

Bean
09-04-2002, 08:37 PM
ftz or lrd, im gettin rid of my fmf for one of them, or i might try out that sst pipe deal

ESR250R
09-04-2002, 09:25 PM
fmf sucks and ftz is an all top end pipe.

09-04-2002, 09:28 PM
lRD is best I've seen so far ..JMO....

mc250r
09-04-2002, 10:21 PM
I have a Curtis Sparks mx pipe on my 86. It has awesome low to midrange power.

airheadedduner
09-04-2002, 11:39 PM
FMF does suck, I had one and several friends had one and we all hated them. I love my LRD pipe, it is awesome. Other then LRD I would go with sparks or CT. I rode an R with a PTR trx6 pipe and it sucked. Good low end and mid but no top or overrev at all.

Teufel
09-05-2002, 09:14 AM
Don't over look the Paul Turner pipe, I love the type 6 for woods,
I have the Lrd adjustable also, it is a good pipe, but I wasn't happy with the fit. IT has a tendecy to leak at the slip joint. You can't just simply adjust it you have to disassemble it clean and reseal it. Justr my opinion but for the price it ain't all that. :D

airheadedduner
09-05-2002, 09:44 AM
I can see where the type 6 is good for the woods. It might have been this guys porting too, I don't think it matched the pipe that well. What are you useing to seal your LRD pipe?? I use regular high temp silicone(orange) and can adjust it a few times before it starts to leak.:huh

Teufel
09-05-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
I can see where the type 6 is good for the woods. It might have been this guys porting too, I don't think it matched the pipe that well. What are you useing to seal your LRD pipe?? I use regular high temp silicone(orange) and can adjust it a few times before it starts to leak.:huh

I use the orange hi-temp also the pipe wasn't concentric when I got it, and yes it was new. I was a little disappointed in the general fit of the pipe. **** for the price it should snap on. I like the performance.
You made a good point about the porting, you have to be sure to match components to reach the perfered outcome.

09-05-2002, 03:45 PM
YUP.hi temp red is good stuff
pipe was out o round a lil here too ...
but easily pushed into place & sealed...9 out of 10
times seals ..easily now..
trick is to put nice even beads ( of sealer) on both surfaces...

Also I added these lil aluminum spacers to support the tabs ..:D

R-Crazy
09-05-2002, 06:03 PM
thats one nice looking bike from what i can see, 2-Rs- Rider.
i am a thumper, but i have buddies with the FMF and the bills. the FMF seems really good, but i dont really know. the person with the bills runs awsome, but doesnt sound very good. i like the sound of the FMF, but maybe i am wrong.

dave

300exazzkikr
09-05-2002, 07:36 PM
I have a Klemm exhaust....has anyone ever heard of it cause i haven't. It hauls *** so i'm good..

tants
09-07-2002, 07:32 PM
im leaning on the lrd adj. right now, still now sure
im looking for a low-mid pipe for mx. i really dont care about top end, lrd all the way???
also can you guys post pics of your exhuast's? (thanks 2'rs!)

trx400ex
09-07-2002, 07:44 PM
lrd is the best 250r pipe for mx, that and the duncan pipe, i have the lrd on my banshee, and my only complaint was the price (700$ shipped) has never leaked around the silicone, i just put some on the first day i got it, waited a couple hours and rode on it, also, i was told to spray high temp automotive paint (white) inside the pipe which i did, they say it helps the chrome from turning blue

NICE BIKE 2RS!!!

400exRacerX
09-07-2002, 10:04 PM
LRD, i run them on both bikes.

mrusk
09-08-2002, 09:28 AM
Nasty dont fall into the LRD pipe BS. The best pipe for the 250r is made by ESR. The trx5 and trx6 pipes are the best available for the R. Dyno charts back it up. Just because the LRD pipe is adjustable, it doesnt mean its better.

If you dont want the ESR pipe the next best thing is the Sparks.

matt

09-08-2002, 09:30 AM
JUsT curious whos dyna's ESR"s ???
or independent testers...??

buckNbanshee
09-08-2002, 10:08 AM
Get an LRD

09-08-2002, 11:06 AM
HHHmmmm,...:D

MX26
09-08-2002, 12:24 PM
I'll throw my .02 in here.

I'd go with ESR. I've seen far too many "adjustable" LRD's leaking, only to be sealed by JB Weld. If your "adjustable" pipe is JB Welded, don't guess it does much good.. Right?

A friend of mine has an ESR TRX6 on his 265, it feels great, but I really don't like his motor porting. It's all topend, with a low end pipe.. Makes for a really weird feeling ride. All in all, fit & finish of the TRX series is great. They look awesome, shine-up very well, and hold up great. The only complaint I have is that the 6 likes to kiss my leg a little too much, and leave burn marks on my boots and pants.

Of course, when you're WFO, balls to the walls, hanging off the side of your quad railing the loamiest berm ever, it doesnt even seem to hurt.

mrusk
09-08-2002, 03:23 PM
Dave at MP RACING dynoed all of the top pipes. The charts are on his web site motomallusa.com

matt

Blake24
09-08-2002, 03:26 PM
DITTO..........LRD

MX26
09-08-2002, 05:59 PM
Gee, is this a chat reunion?

tants
09-08-2002, 06:25 PM
the trx6 is for low-mid
the trx5 is for all around, i plan on doing mx and some woods, what is an all around beter mx pipe? ill probly go with the trx5 because my track does have some top end parts

MX26
09-08-2002, 06:38 PM
Either/Or man. The decision is really yours. I've had many guys tell me that their drag ported R has alot of low end with the 5, and it would only get better with the 6. Around here, the tracks like the SuperCross setup, so low end is a big thing.

One thing you might consider, ESR sells and adjustable exhaust flange. The longer the flange, the more low end. I don't think you could go wrong with a TRX5 and that flange. You won't regret it.

09-08-2002, 07:17 PM
A real good pipe you guys left out was the Paul Turner. Curtis Sparks is as good as Lrd too. I'd go with Paul Turner. Them pipes have alwyas been one of the top pipes for R's.

Canidule250r
09-08-2002, 07:45 PM
the ESR trx-6 works great for me, thats all i can say.....but its true that they burn the boot.....theres plastic all over the pipe and all the plastic on my boot is burned....

stocktires
09-08-2002, 10:38 PM
I bought a new chrome fatty and turbie core (cuz sound is a factor).
But Im gonna get another exhaust for when Im racing...that'll be a sparks because his exhausts are quality (like the ESR's are) and my cuz sells sparks stuff and is good friends with Curtis and I love his pipes and silencers!!!

airheadedduner
09-09-2002, 12:00 AM
LRD pipe BS??
hmmmmmmm how many national champianships has LRD won in XC and MX?? How many has ESR won?? I can't really judge the ESR cause I never rode one, and it is most likly a decent pipe but the LRD is time tested and proven, the ESR is not(YET). Dyno numbers and peak power don't mean jack. A lot rides on rider preference.
My top 3 picks
1.LRD, I believe it is the most well rounded(except in shape:p ) of them.
2.Sparks TT
3.CT
JMO

Stocktires- If sound is an issue sparks will build you a quiter pipe, they offered it to me if I wanted it. According to CT their pipe useing a FMF turbine core silencer is quiet enough to meet OR's strict dune sound levals. LRD sells a quiet silencer attachment that adds 2hp to the topend(with no loss of low end).

stocktires
09-09-2002, 12:03 AM
Ahhh crap then..
I was told sparks wouldnt do such.. well that was a waste of $350
thanx airhead, I might try and sell the fmf

airheadedduner
09-09-2002, 12:22 AM
LOL I did the exact same thing.
Paid $200 for a new FMF pipe, used it for 2 months and hated it, sold it for $50:grr Sparks told me $289 for the pipe(no silencer) and they could make it quieter to pass sound with the use of one of there standered silencers or something of the sort, i'll see if I can dig up that email again.

09-09-2002, 03:48 AM
here my choice,...... LRD... ,LRD ,LRD!!!!

holeshot19
09-09-2002, 04:45 AM
well one pipe not going to please everybody.ya lrd boys have engines that go with those pipes ive looked at all the 250r pipes **** i have most of them in my shop. just pick one and be happy. most people think a pipe is the key they need to look at the whole set up

tants
09-09-2002, 04:16 PM
im going with esr trx5...

ESR250R
09-09-2002, 05:23 PM
you can bad mouth the esr pipe and praise all u want about the lrd. lrd pipes have been around for a long ***** time and esr has only been in the 250r market for about a year. now that all the top 250r riders are switching to 4 strokes u wont hear about anyone running lrd or esr.

400exRacerX
09-09-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by holeshot19
well one pipe not going to please everybody.ya lrd boys have engines that go with those pipes ive looked at all the 250r pipes **** i have most of them in my shop. just pick one and be happy. most people think a pipe is the key they need to look at the whole set up

A pipe has a lot to do with a 2 stroke,,, unlike with 4 strokes an exhuast system isnt as much of a wake up in power increase.

Like I said My vote is in for LRD.

airheadedduner
09-10-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by ESR250R
you can bad mouth the esr pipe and praise all u want about the lrd. lrd pipes have been around for a long ***** time and esr has only been in the 250r market for about a year. now that all the top 250r riders are switching to 4 strokes u wont hear about anyone running lrd or esr.

LOL How Ironic:rolleyes: Everyone is switching to thumpers.

I think next time I am going with Sparks TT anyway. I need more midrange!!!!

Extremeracer167
09-10-2002, 02:37 PM
If any of you guys out there want the BEST 250R engine work out there, dont go with these big name guys that you rjust paying for the name. Give DBY racing a call. He did my engine, and ill tell u what that thing HALLS!!! He builds the national champ Micro sprint engine. ANd about 25 other top dogs so he knows EXACTLY what hes doing with R engines. He is the Nicest guy to talk to. Ask for Darrell. Tell him that Chad Willman sent you. I can garuntee once u get something done from him, u will NEVER go anywhere else!!!! Just give him a call, and see what he will do for you!!!
1-724-548-7871
Dont forget to mention my name, he might work with ya a lil better.

Extreme

Oh by the way......Paul Turner makes one of the best pipes out there, with the porting i had with my type 6 pipe i got 16 hp gain at the rear wheel!!!

kicken250x
09-10-2002, 05:10 PM
how do you adjust the LRD pipe? i know that it is in the middle where the 2 springs are and thas all i know. what do you have to do?? later...

400exRacerX
09-10-2002, 06:00 PM
You make it longer or shorter and that changes the powerband.

tants
09-10-2002, 07:08 PM
im still confused about pipes...

the esr sticks out a lot by the nerf bar and burns your boot???

that sucks...
can anyone list any pro's and what pipes they ran? cause they probly ran the best, yall said most ran LRD??
thanks

stocktires
09-10-2002, 07:19 PM
Well, pros really dont matter, cuz they are sponsered and they get free pipes. And anyone who is gettin a completely free mx set-up 250r isnt gonna just say "no, I wont ride it cuz I dont like your pipe"
So dont look at pros and thinks its the best! Go with what getst he best reviews and what you feel is the best for your buck (sparks, lol)

airheadedduner
09-11-2002, 12:00 AM
Buying a pipe should be easier then this, it is a good sign cause it shows how many good product choices we have on the market.

kicken250x
09-11-2002, 02:53 PM
i still dont quite understand how to adjust the LRD pipe could some1 explane it a little better. making it shorter or longer??? huh...:huh :confused:

tants
09-12-2002, 04:59 PM
bump

09-12-2002, 04:59 PM
:huh

Bean
09-12-2002, 05:18 PM
ok, u screw these screws around, messes wit pipe legthn, longer is bottom, shorter is top

kicken250x
09-12-2002, 06:36 PM
oh ok when he said make it longer or shorter i was thinkin like you had to take a piece of the pipe out and replace it with a longer or shorter pice but i got you now...later...

tants
09-13-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"

:confused:

MX26
09-14-2002, 11:33 AM
So, when are you ordering the ESR?

tants
09-14-2002, 11:43 AM
hopefully soon. the 250r is all apart now.
im getting the frame and swingarm powdercoated.
im ordering aarms, and shocks for christmas, and order the exhuast next pay check, and when i sell my quadracer, ill get the normal things like nerfs, bars, axle, bumber, grabbar, plastics, seatcover, kill switch, ect.
Then i will do my motor sometime in january right befor the spring racing season so its still fresh (have a little time to brake it in in feb. and beg of march)
hopfull it doesnt snow this winter :)
me and my dad are making a 2 way swinging door from my garage, to a room in my basement we call the shop, which is heated:) :) so i would be able to work on it in the warmth.
i think im gonna go with the esr trx5

Pappy
09-14-2002, 11:59 AM
tants...JMO....but unless you are running the esr set up....stick with the LRD. sorry fellas..im just funny that way:macho

beerock
09-14-2002, 04:53 PM
heh, listen, most of you are talking out of your umm mouths?..... some of you are swearing by pipes LRD :rolleyes:

some of you are swearing fmf sux :huh

and blah blah blah.....

how bout letting the dyno do the talking.....

paul turner hi rev: 36.7 hp 28.4 torque

paulturner 89 race pipe: 36.5 hp 29.6 torque

paul turner type 46: 36.5 hp 28.9 torque

curtis sparks tt: 37.8 hp 28.8 torque -MOST POWER

pro circuit: 36.3 hp 28.5 torque

:rolleyes: lrd "tem" pipe: WOW 34.5 HP 28.1 torque

:rolleyes: lrd 330bb: 34.0 HP 27.1 torque

ftz 250r: 37.6 HP 27.4 toque

FMF FATTY 36.5 HP 27.6 torque (beats the lrd)

esr trx 5 : 36.1 HP 27.6 torque

esr trx11 : 35.3 HP 27.5 torque - if anyone has ever seen this pipe nicknamed "the zepplin" you would think the pipe would kill anything......

first, I must let you all know that all these pipes have unique characteristics.

just because a pipe has more power then another doesnt mean its better. The"characteristics" of the pipe is what you really have to keep your eye on, other wise known as the powerband.....

if you have a pipe that makes awesome top end... like the best one out of these pipes: the curtis sparks tt pipe at 37.8 HP and 28.8 torque. YAY Thats great but, how fast will it tire you out?

I can tell you form riding a bike with this pipe that the power band is up top and it hits VERY abrutly, you can sort of see that in this graph with porting the dip in the power band is more abrupt and is torture on your body when your on and off the gas.

http://www.motomallusa.com/thefacts/PIPES_ON_Stock/IMAG0003.JPG
Is it alot more profound in real life...

The reason they have powervalves is to give an electric like powercurve...

so when looking for a pipe you should look for the smoothest powerband....

like the fmf or the ftz

http://www.motomallusa.com/thefacts/PIPES_ON_Stock/IMAG0007.JPG

notice the ftz makes more Hp then the fmf but LESS torque

http://www.motomallusa.com/thefacts/PIPES_ON_Stock/IMAG0011.JPG

i think either of those two pipes would be the best pick...

you also have to consider that this is all on a stock cylinder trx250r.

EVERY port job, I dont care who does it, will act different with the same pipes...(even the same company port job will have its own slight unique characteristics)

a even powerband is the best way to "see the future"- for your port job

if the powerband is smooth it says the flow of the pipe is even on the top end and bottom end.if it isnt smooth (like most of the pipes) then when you get into porting the cylinder the dips in the powerband can complicate things....

its very hard to explain, lets just say, if you open up the cylinder for porting and have a dip in the power band with the stock cylinder and chosen pipe, if the port job isnt designed to compensate for that dip(this doesnt mean opening it up) it will be more profound of a dip....

which makes the power band even more "choppy" which in the long run tires you out......
and hence makes you slow down after a couple of laps on the track....maybe even lose positions....

if everyone knew about facts, they might not be chanting lrd.

oh and by the way, the lrd adjustable pipe BLOWS- if you want a mid to high pipe buy one, if you want a low to mid buy one, dont buy that pipe.

to let most of you know, the top pro riders all have custom pipes, NONE of them are what you have on your bike.(unless your a pro)
My friend dan was sponsored by lrd, and he said you could only get the pipe he had if you were sponsored by them and had a lrd engine (you really need to tune the engine with the pipe)

if you dont believe the numbers I wrote look here:
http://www.motomallusa.com/thefacts/PIPES_ON_Stock.html

09-14-2002, 10:45 PM
i knew beerock would pull threw...

i understand what your saying, so fmf and ftz have the smoothest powerband? do you have any dynos on esr? if not where can i see them?

thanks a lot beerock for your help

MX26
09-15-2002, 12:04 AM
Hmmm.. FTZ is a drag pipe. FMF is lame.

Dave(MP Racing) did dynos of the ESR pipes, but somehow beerock forgot to mention those? I believe that the TRX5's powercurve was very similar to the FMF's. They both peaked out about the same.

In beerocks own words, a ported motor and a stock motor are 2 VERY different creatures. Send your 250R cylinder to Dave(MP Racing, which happens to be where beerock pulled those dynos), and have him do some port work to it, then bring it back home, put it on your cases, and do your own comparison. See which pipe has more power. ESR TRX5, or FMF. I'd wage my 250R that the ESR will pump gobs more HP over FMF.

Once again beerock, you make reference to the TRX11. That pipes sole purpose is to be put on a drag quad. Sorda like the FTZ. They call it "the whale" because it has such a large diamater at the expansion chamber.

beerock
09-15-2002, 11:46 AM
i put the link for all the dynos at the bottom :rolleyes:

I also put the dyno results of the trx 5 on my post are you blind (I typed it?)

here is the "pic" of the trx5 dyno..

http://www.motomallusa.com/thefacts/PIPES_ON_Stock/IMAG0010.JPG

they do call the trx11 the zepplin.

they call CT's drag pipe the whale....

that ftz pipe doesnt look like no drag pipe on the dyno, and I dont think it is... not with a dyno powercurve similar to the fmf.

mx26 I guess you dont understan what im saying, hmm do you like lrd too?

if you have a pipe with dips and peaks, it will affect the way the motor acts after porting. if you have a very even and smooth power band you can tell what the pipe will do with porting.

like I said its to hard to explain.

and if you really think the fmf is "lame" after looking at the dyno results then BOY I guess I should take someones word for it when they tell me they have a lamborgini diablo in there garage?

NOT I wanna see the diablo...

just like id rather see dyno results...

MX26
09-15-2002, 12:26 PM
No, I don't like the LRD pipe. I think its pretty useless to buy an "adjustable" pipe that you have to seal off(making it non-adjustable) just to work right.

You say that the FMF pipe has a good power curve. Maybe on a stock motor. Stock 250R motors are TAME.

Where does the FTZ pipe make the most power? On top end.(note the dyno's power curve) Where do you need power in Motocross? Definately not top end.

So I will stick with my statment. Go with a TRX6, or TRX5(and adjustable flange if possible)

beerock
09-15-2002, 02:22 PM
I guess you cant read a power curve correctly, or understand what i said about seeing the future of a motor through the power curve the pipe gives out on a stock motor..:o

MX26
09-15-2002, 03:08 PM
I guess you cant read a power curve correctly, or understand what i said about seeing the future of a motor through the power curve the pipe gives out on a stock motor..

And I guess you STILL think a cast piston is better than a forged one?

Bean
09-15-2002, 03:32 PM
lol, its a pipe, ftz is a tt pipe, so its the sparks, if u mx'n, the fatty will work wonders, i like mine, it hits kinda hard (might be my porting, carb, ect), and will tire u out, but its a good pipe that makes good ppower, name brand stuff isnt always the best

airheadedduner
09-16-2002, 12:11 AM
good infor beerock.........strait to the point no BS.

For mx I still thing LRD is the best. It depends on your preference but IMO it has the smoothest powerband. I like mid-top so the LRD is not the best for me (sparks tt :D ) cause it does not rev, and I like a pipe that revs. The lrd has awesome low-mid.

airheadedduner
09-16-2002, 12:13 AM
I was really impressed with the PC. It puts out solid low to mid too.

beerock
09-16-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by MX26
I guess you cant read a power curve correctly, or understand what i said about seeing the future of a motor through the power curve the pipe gives out on a stock motor..

And I guess you STILL think a cast piston is better than a forged one?

yes your right I do, the cast pistons work better with a two stroke because of the expansion/contraction rates.

airheadedduner
09-16-2002, 12:38 AM
CT recomended me a cast piston, it lasts longer. They have been trying to develop one for my engine kit. Anyone know who where else I can get a cast piston??

MX26
09-16-2002, 11:16 AM
beerock,

If you warm your bike up properly, there shouldn't ever be that much expansion/contraction. Why do cast pistons expand/contract? Because they're not as dense as a forged piston. Density = Mass, Mass = Strenght. If you take the time to warm your bike up, and let the forged piston get up to operating temps every time you ride, the forged piston will last longer than the cast. Its very obvious to me that you, as well as I, are very stubborn about our different opinions, so there's really no point in arguing.

CT recomended me a cast piston, it lasts longer. They have been trying to develop one for my engine kit. Anyone know who where else I can get a cast piston??

Pro-X pistons are cast. But they don't make a 300cc(295) piston.

beerock
09-16-2002, 11:28 AM
very true mx26.

i guess ct is on my side as well.

forged pistons do last longer, they are also harder then cast correct.cast pistons have silica in them which has some lubrication properties.

but when the rings wear down, the forged piston wears the bore out about 7 times faster then a cast piston with worn out rings(the silica helps to keep the wear down)

forged are awesome in 4 strokes but 2 strokes like cast. IMHO

I think you might be able to get a piston from nix pro-x they dont list all the pistons they make so you may have to call.

I'm pretty sure they make one otherwise ct wouldnt have told you to go for a cast piston..

MX26
09-16-2002, 02:35 PM
Well, Pro-X is just about the only reputable cast piston builder I'm aware of. If I were you, I'd just get back with Allen and get a new piston from him. Or go forged.(wiseco)

OH yeah, the PC pipe is nice too. Good power delivery.

beerock, I don't like to run my pistons long enough to wear out. I believe the solution to not having a problem is fixing it before it evolves.

beerock
09-16-2002, 03:34 PM
two things

1: not everyone does what you and I both do. which in turn makes the forged more of a problem....(wearing out the bore, oblong wear makes the bore have to go up two sizes) I can go through 4-5 pistons and ring of the same size without a new bore.

2: pro x is NOT the only reputable cast piston maker.....
honda, yamaha, kawasaki-(i think) and suzuki-(I think) are all built by ART - by the way, ART makes pro-x pistons...

I'm positive that ART makes honda and yamaha pistons, but im not sure about kawie and zuki.

MX26
09-16-2002, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I know that, but do they make overbore sizes too?

beerock, I must admit. I thought you were just some spode that didn't know crap about motors and started running his mouth, but its pretty obvious you know you're facts. I'm glad we have a common-ground between us. Keep the rubber side down.

stocktires
09-16-2002, 04:44 PM
Beerock indeed knows his $hit

ART pistons are very high quality pistons. As far as I know they make a two overbore sizes for the R (stock cylinder).
I am 100% sure ART makes honda pistons.
I also like cast pistons, but bee is right, Most people could care less if their top-end is going bad.
pro-x doesnt make 300cc pistons? do they make 302 and up?

MX26
09-16-2002, 05:02 PM
If I recall correctly, LRD and CT use ProX 350cc pistons, and I think that's just about it.

stocktires
09-16-2002, 05:04 PM
Pro-x makes 302 cylinder kits and Im sure they would make overbore sizes for it

airheadedduner
09-17-2002, 09:22 AM
Perfect, my next overbore will put me at 302.

Bean
09-17-2002, 04:13 PM
personally, i run forged (wiesco) because i want to, lol, also, since i figured out wiesco has a stubborn break in and warm up thing, i am very carefull about breakin in my stuff and warmin it up (dont bring up my latest 2 breakdowns, not related to piston or rod choice), and i hav yet to hav a wiesco go out, but thats me

09-17-2002, 06:08 PM
blang blang

kickass pipe

ESR250R
09-17-2002, 06:12 PM
i am on my stock cylinder with a .60 over bore what does that make my cc's

Bean
09-17-2002, 09:22 PM
i think like a 265 or 260 or something, cant remember all this cc stuff anymore

ESR250R
09-17-2002, 09:28 PM
hey how do u like the 38 mm airstyker carb? i just sent my cylinder out to lrd and when i get it back i am gonna need a new carb. they told me i would see the best performance out of my new porting with a 38 mm airstrker carb? send me a pm on your opinion about it, is it difficult to tune, etc. thx

SandTrix
09-18-2002, 07:44 AM
Too bad you sent your cylinder out to LRD. Our motors run much harder and we charge alot less.

ESR250R
09-18-2002, 05:24 PM
well i asked on here and other 250r forums about who to have port and bore my cylinder and noone replied to my post so.... it was a decision between lrd and esr and i choose lrd because they seem to know there stuff about motor building. i also choose them because they have been working on 250r's for many years and esr has only been in it for a few years but i still like my esr pipe better than a lrd.

Bean
09-18-2002, 05:48 PM
the 38mm is real easy to tune, fast and quick, runs good, hits hard, it hits a lil high for an mx track for me, but i make due, its a sweet carb, i would get it or the 39

ESR250R
09-18-2002, 06:20 PM
ok thanks i am going with the 38 airstyker and i am switching to race gas when i get my cylinder back together.

Bean
09-18-2002, 06:21 PM
one more thing, it will guzzle gas alot faster, but o well

ESR250R
09-18-2002, 07:51 PM
hey how many cc's is a stock cylinder 60 over

MX26
09-18-2002, 08:18 PM
Hmm. .80 is 265cc's, so I'd say .60 is around 257 or 260.

ESR250R
09-18-2002, 08:20 PM
ok thanks

stocktires
09-18-2002, 08:28 PM
ESR has been around much longer than ya think...

MX26
09-19-2002, 12:15 PM
ESR has been around much longer than ya think...

Very true. ESR has been making bike parts for many years, but just haven't been as popular as say FMF or Pro Circuit. They have the history, knowledge, and good customer service to be an even better company than they are now.

tants
09-19-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by KILLER250R
blang blang

kickass pipe

if i havent lost the respect and trust in you, i would of bought that pipe off of you

beerock
09-19-2002, 07:27 PM
hey guys I dont want to seem like an ***** but your all wrong about the cc of the motor.....

my piston is 67.50mm which means its on its 6th bore..

with every bore being .25mm over

when a real engine builder says one bore or 2 bores over they mean either .25 over for one bore

or .50 over which is 2 bores.....

soem mechanics bore to the 10th, which means they bore .10 over stock...

so if your bore is .60 you are only at 66.60mm which is 2 and .10 bores over stock

I will show you the formula:

first to let you know the bore of a stock cylinder is 66mm and the stroke is 72mm

how to figure bore size out:

divide piston size by 2 (66.60mm(my piston = 33.3mm)

then convert to centimeters(move the decimal point over a place) 3.33mm

multiply by stroke converted to centimeters (72mm= 7.2mm)

3.33mm x 7.2mm = 23.976mm x Pie(3.14) = 75.28464mm x 3.33(bore size = 250.6978512)

your bore size is a whopping 250.69:huh

here is mine:

how to figure bore size out:

divide piston size by 2 (67.50mm(my piston = 33.75mm)

then convert to centimeters(move the decimal point over a place) 3.375mm

multiply by stroke converted to centimeters (72mm= 7.2mm)

3.375mm x 7.2mm = 24.3mm x Pie(3.14) = 76.302mm x 3.375(bore size = 257.51925)

beerock
09-19-2002, 07:33 PM
esr has been around 2250r engines for a long time, they build race motors for the go carts..... and just recently started doing it for the quad....

so yes they know the 250r motor...

oh ya and I would go with the 39mm keihn carb.

the airstryker is oval shape and cant be bored out for more power, the 39mm can....

for 250 bux you would have gotten a lrd/ curtis sparks killer if you went to B+B :o

Bean
09-19-2002, 08:55 PM
esr has been around R's since the beginnin of 3wheelrs i belive, they know their stuff, they jus dont hav a rider to help em out like lrd, or so on has, but if Farr started usin esr, everyone and their grandma would hav one

RideRed04
09-20-2002, 09:52 AM
My friend has a trx6 pipe on his 250r. It is a very hard pulling pipe, big difference over stock. It is deffinately a mid to top pipe. I would prefer more bottom end, but that thing flies! You just need to shift more, but it is probably one of the fastest pipes if you know what you are doing.

MX26
09-20-2002, 12:58 PM
I believe that is the very 1st time I've ever heard anyone call the ESR TRX6 a "mid to top pipe"

Are you sure he's got the 6.. and not the 5? The 5 is the topend pipe, 6 is MX(low)

RideRed04
09-20-2002, 02:31 PM
Yeah, that might be it. I am not up on the pipes...lol. I know it is the esr mid/top pipe. That thing pulls pretty hard!

Bean
09-20-2002, 03:12 PM
i hav watched some ESR riders, their pipes sound really good and they seem to hav a sweet pull, guess i might hav to try one somday

MX26
09-20-2002, 03:37 PM
i hav watched some ESR riders, their pipes sound really good and they seem to hav a sweet pull, guess i might hav to try one somday

ESRs ring in at a whopping 102DB.

beerock
09-20-2002, 04:03 PM

ESRs ring in at a whopping 102DB.

it depends on the silencer...

all the pipes are loud, it depends on the silencer, I think the best deisigned muffler is the power core.

the lrd end can get hit and close the whole exhaust system off not a cool thing.....

though there quiet system is pretty cool....

tants
09-20-2002, 04:26 PM
the esr trx5 is an all around pipe the the trx6 is mid-top

airheadedduner
09-20-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by beerock

it depends on the silencer...

all the pipes are loud, it depends on the silencer, I think the best deisigned muffler is the power core.

the lrd end can get hit and close the whole exhaust system off not a cool thing.....

though there quiet system is pretty cool....
Thats my big fear about the LRD quiet setup. Not to mention I had to remove my taillight cause I beat the crap out of it with my caliper. The LRD silencer mounts close to the same place as the tail light:grr

ESR250R
09-20-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Nasty250r
the esr trx5 is an all around pipe the the trx6 is mid-top

nope your even wrong. the trx 5 pipe is a good all around pipe, the trx 6 is a bottom end pipe and the trx 9(i believe) is a all top end pipe.

Bean
09-20-2002, 09:55 PM
make up yo minds!

beerock
09-22-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ESR250R

nope your even wrong. the trx 5 pipe is a good all around pipe, the trx 6 is a bottom end pipe and the trx 9(i believe) is a all top end pipe.

correct

Bean
09-22-2002, 01:11 PM
i was goin to look it up, but to lazy

09-22-2002, 02:39 PM
look what pipe is on this Champ's quad .,,,..

Bean
09-22-2002, 03:52 PM
lrd i belive

MX26
09-22-2002, 04:02 PM
I wonder how much "the champ" gets paid to run that pipe? I do believe we can all agree that Doug Gust runs DG pipes, and everyone knows they suck.

Bean
09-22-2002, 04:04 PM
but he ripps on dg, jus goes to show, its the rider, not the pipe

ESR250R
09-22-2002, 04:12 PM
doesnt tim farr ride with a dg pipe

Bean
09-22-2002, 04:18 PM
sure does

400exBro
10-10-2002, 04:23 PM
dana creech, jimmy elza run lrd team b on their 250rs......

jj runs i think crutuis spark mx pipe.
how are those pipes ???
when i get my r i am going to get a pipe, most pipes up here are fmf which blow so, i am going either with the trx5 or lrd team b or the crutusi sparks mx or tt .
thanks
Bro

10-10-2002, 05:03 PM
lrd

stocktires
10-10-2002, 05:43 PM
fmf blows?
ha, someone needs to get his facts straight :rolleyes:

MX26
10-10-2002, 06:13 PM
I still run FMF on my R. The way I see it; If it aint broke, dont fock with it. My 250 motor pulls like none I've ever ridden, and I absolutely LOVE it. So why change?

Dyno's, seat-of-the-pant dyno's, and other things have proven that the FMF isn't the top pipe anymore. A stock motor(as BeeRocks dynos are) is totally different than a mild/wild ported MX motor. Different pipes will make different curves. The motor Dave(MP Racing) tested those pipes on had a 38(or 39)mm carb, correct jetting, and pretty much all stock than that.

When people say something about DG, I think of Dollar General :)

400exBro
10-10-2002, 07:20 PM
it is a personal opion, i feel that fmf doesn't make the same qulity of produces for atvs as they do with dirt bikes.
also i am planning on putting a power valve kit in as well this winter seeing if i get one, and a mid range porting job and a pro desgin cool head, if there isn't one on there already.

Bro

stocktires
10-10-2002, 07:22 PM
Bro, Buy the quad first :rolleyes: :D

400exBro
10-10-2002, 07:37 PM
will do!!!

tants
01-20-2003, 06:12 PM
FAQ worthy?:D

airheadedduner
01-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Tants
FAQ worthy?:D

I think so:p

cjpoole1
01-21-2003, 08:00 AM
I wonder how much "the champ" gets paid to run that pipe? I do believe we can all agree that Doug Gust runs DG pipes, and everyone knows they suck.
Doug Gust also runs a four stroke where the pipe isn't that critical as does Tim Farr also

Evan
02-02-2003, 02:17 AM
I have a Pro Circuit on mine, is it as good as a ESR, Sparks, etc, prolly not, but I like it, it was cheap frm RMATV. Proably should have left that brand new FMF on there but o well I thought the pipe was causing my loss of lowend, but it was my motor. I have a shortend FMF turbine,, sounds sweeter than any R i have heard, kinda loud, nice bark to it. I plan on gettin a ESR pipe and silencer oneday, maybe a powervalve.
LRD pipes may look good on paper with the fancy adjusments so called 3 pipes in one, but the best plans fall through in reality, gotta remember that. Keep It Simple Stupid simple is better.
ESR has been around along time, back when 250rs first came out they were making stuff for em, then they kinda dropped out of the ATV scene for a while, now they are back, I trust them as much as I trust sparks, since both have been around longer than almost any other company. If money and wait wasnt a factor, I would choose Sparks all day long, cuz they are dedicated to MX, where as ESR is all around, more drag racing. JMO......

SandTrix
02-02-2003, 08:50 AM
Ive tried just about every pipe out there. I would rate ESR first and Sparks a close second.

tants
02-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
I think so:p

i guess not... :o

tants
02-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SandTrix
Ive tried just about every pipe out there. I would rate ESR first and Sparks a close second.

im going with the ESR :blah

SandTrix
02-13-2003, 06:23 AM
I have used almost every pipe in this shootout on many different style of motors. I totatlly think the ESR trx 5 and sparks TT stand way above the rest for mx motors. The FMF isnt bad, it just gives up on top end to those two. And yes the FTZ and ESR trx 11 are for complete drag motors only. if you have ever used either of these you would know as well. they have a lack of bottom end power compared to most pipes, but they will far out rev and make more hp on top end than any of the others as well. I wll agree that the LRD pipe isnt all that impressive.

tants
06-20-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by SandTrix
I have used almost every pipe in this shootout on many different style of motors. I totatlly think the ESR trx 5 and sparks TT stand way above the rest for mx motors. The FMF isnt bad, it just gives up on top end to those two. And yes the FTZ and ESR trx 11 are for complete drag motors only. if you have ever used either of these you would know as well. they have a lack of bottom end power compared to most pipes, but they will far out rev and make more hp on top end than any of the others as well. I wll agree that the LRD pipe isnt all that impressive.

how would a sparks tt do on a semi-stock motor...
well, i have bored .80 over, ported, cr head gasket, uni filter, and soon to come a rad valve...

i cant decide either the sparks mx or tt pipe...
my local track has some nice strait aways...

thanks ;)

Blake24
06-20-2003, 04:17 AM
This thread is old........4 months from the last to the second to last post..........:huh

tants
06-20-2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Blake24
This thread is old........4 months from the last to the second to last post..........:huh

:confused:

Blake24
06-20-2003, 04:39 AM
SandTrix posted on 2-13-03 and YOU! (tants) was the next reply at 6-20-03 which is today..............Im pretty sure people dont like it when you go to like page 6 of the forum and bring topics back up to the top.......search or ask again......

sly400ex
06-20-2003, 05:09 AM
SandTrix posted on 2-13-03 and YOU! (tants) was the next reply at 6-20-03 which is today..............Im pretty sure people dont like it when you go to like page 6 of the forum and bring topics back up to the top.......search or ask again......

No we, don't like it when people like you butt in for no reason!:mad: Tants was just updating the post because he had more questions and info for it. BTW Tants, I have the TRX 5, AWESOME pipe!!! :D But, I don't really have too many to compare it too.:ermm:

tants
06-20-2003, 05:21 AM

are you serious?

who are you to say that people like or dislike when a post is bumped to the top, when you've only been here for a matter of your 200 posts?

wow.

stocktires
06-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by tants
are you serious?

who are you to say that people like or dislike when a post is bumped to the top, when you've only been here for a matter of your 200 posts?

wow.

ooooo, tants laying tha smack down! :eek: :p lol
The only time bringing up an old post is a bad idea is in the classifieds section IMO

Blake24
06-20-2003, 11:57 AM
Sorry guys, I got this board mixed up with another board. At www.slpeng.com (camaro ss and firehawk forum) they get kinda upset when old topics are brought up..........sorry for being a complete moron, but I feel it really was a simple mistake.....:ermm:

stocktires
06-20-2003, 11:59 AM
Sorry guys, I got this board mixed up with another board. At www.slpeng.com (camaro ss and firehawk forum) they get kinda upset when old topics are brought up..........sorry for being a complete moron, but I feel it really was a simple mistake.....:ermm:

understood, this forum is a lil more "layed back" than most. ;)

tants
06-21-2003, 03:18 AM

mistakes happen,

;) :D

RuffRyder400ex
06-21-2003, 03:41 AM
lrd