PDA

View Full Version : different grab bar and new rear plastic

bigsled
10-10-2006, 11:00 AM
hello, i'm new to the boards. i only have a limited time on internet with no computer at home. any help would be great . does anybody have links to replacement plastics for a 04 400ex ? i like the front but the rear plastic is kinda sad looking the way it droops. i just bought it. i see newer 450's ( not sure on the 400's) flare up in the back also the yamahas 450s and the suzuki z400 and 450's do. i want to stick with red . i'm not sure if the seat pulls apart from the plastic. i want to keep the honda logo on the seat. and keep the front end plastic.

and i'm looking for a little bit bigger grab bar on the rear for tire repair kit and still keep it sporty looking. not a cooler or anything. i still want to be able to tip the quad up on end. is this possible with aftermarket grab bar. the dealer didnt have any photos or know what the hell to look for ?? thanks...

tim colston
10-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Welcome to the site first off. Second I have a prm desert grab bar. Brand new in the box never mounted. 60.00 shipped to ya here is a pic.

jeepcj469
10-10-2006, 11:26 AM
I also have the PRM grab bar and I like it I would recomend it.

tim colston
10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by jeepcj469
I also have the PRM grab bar and I like it I would recomend it.

I agree all of the prm products are top notch./

bigsled
10-10-2006, 11:47 AM
so you can stand up quad on end w/this bar ??
also it looks like the plastic is either from laker or maier is this correct ?? i want to keep my stock headlights and seat.

tim colston
10-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by bigsled
so you can stand up quad on end w/this bar ??
also it looks like the plastic is either from laker or maier is this correct ?? i want to keep my stock headlights and seat.

Yes you can. That was important to me as well. I stand my quad up to wash it. I have the exact same one on my quad. I had accidently purchased two at 70.00 ea and they were going to charge me a restock fee so I just kept it to sell.

BigFish
10-10-2006, 01:28 PM
You can't stand a 400 up on it's stock grab bar/subframe????????????

:confused:

tim colston
10-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
You can't stand a 400 up on it's stock grab bar/subframe????????????

:confused:

Catch up we are not talking about the stock grabbar, (by the way you can stand it up) We are talking about an aftermarket grabbar.:rolleyes:

10-10-2006, 01:44 PM
I have an 03 400 EX and the stock grab bar is integral to the subframe.

How in the world would you mount an aftermarket grab bar?

Edit: From the pic above it looks like its rigged to the stock grab bar, but that looks hokey to me.

BigFish
10-10-2006, 01:44 PM
I don't see why tipping it up is such a big deal? Why would having an aftermarket grab prevent you from doing that? If u want an aftermarket grab bar, why not do the grab mar mod?

10-10-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't see why tipping it up is such a big deal? Why would having an aftermarket grab prevent you from doing that? If u want an aftermarket grab bar, why not do the grab mar mod?

Most of the dirt / mud is on the underside of the fenders, skids, etc and its easier to wash the motor with it standing up, both in directing the spray and seeing the dirt.

tim colston
10-10-2006, 01:49 PM

Well for those of us who clean the crap out of our quads. Tipping it up is a must. As for the other part of your question i have no idea what you are talking about.

tim colston
10-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by garandman
I have an 03 400 EX and the stock grab bar is integral to the subframe.

How in the world would you mount an aftermarket grab bar?

Edit: From the pic above it looks like its rigged to the stock grab bar, but that looks hokey to me.

Actually it works great and gives the quad a nice finished look. IMO. it is also nice to have something to lift up on or tie down something.

BigFish
10-10-2006, 01:57 PM
I know what a grab bar is for:)

Here's how u do it right...

BigFish
10-10-2006, 01:58 PM
:eek2:

tim colston
10-10-2006, 02:01 PM
THat does look kick ***. Very clean. Nice looking ride you have there. I want my plastics like yours. How did you do that if you don't mind me asking.

BigFish
10-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Plastics are lakers,

Grab bar mod for a 88-89 250r/04-05 450r grab bar:

you cut the stock grab bar off, weld a piece of roundbar to the end of the subframe (makes for the rear mount for the new grabbar) make some tabs out of the round bar for the front mounts and weld them on. Then just tap them out for some bolts. It takes alot of measuring and squaring, but it is worth it.
If u don't have the means to do it, any fabricator/welder can do it since its pretty simple if u have the tools.

Also, I'm sure there is alot of info on this if u search, prolly even find a much more in depth how-to w/ exact measurements. I believe it's a fairly common mod (if ur hard core into the 400s)...

Franky G
10-11-2006, 08:18 AM
I got just about the same setup has BigFish but I run a Z400 grabbar on my bike.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j295/FrankyG_1/2.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j295/FrankyG_1/636f892a.jpg