PDA

View Full Version : Gun Holsters?

tom400ex
10-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I have a smith & wesson m&p .40cal and I'm looking for a good holster. I don't know that much about holsters. can anyone give me so good pointers on what to look for.
is there a big difference between soft and molded?
and whats a good site to get one from?

I know there is alot of gun experts on here that can help a noob out... thanks!

dopeyferree
10-10-2006, 09:15 AM
I am in a similar situation. I just bought a Taurus Raging Bull 480 with 8.5" barrel and cant find a holster for it. Any idea where to get a holster for this beast?

10-10-2006, 09:35 AM
For hard formed (plastic) holsters, Fobus is teh way to go. $35

Leather, look at Desantis and Galco. $65+

For nylon / soft, Uncle Mikes $20

Depends on what you want to use the holster for. Let me know that and I can give more specific answer.

Concealed carry?

To protect the firearm?

Hunting?

dopeyferree
10-10-2006, 11:40 AM
I am looking for just to carry/hunting. The problem with the taurus is the heigth of the barrel It will not fit into standard holsters for that barrel length.

tom400ex
10-10-2006, 12:54 PM
would it be a pain if I said all of the above?
mostly to protect the firearm and just have on my hip. I would like the option of carring concealed but I live in NY near the city so there are a lot of grey areas as to f you can carry concealed. Its like you can but you can't.
My licenses says "Sportsman/Residence"
form what i hear with a soft case if you wear it on the inside of your pants its a pain to put the gun back in your holster. but with a hard case its always open

tom400ex
10-10-2006, 03:38 PM
bump

Pappy
10-10-2006, 03:41 PM
I usually use a formed leather holster for CC and have been using a few of the fobus units for my glocks.

Try www.midwayusa.com

tom400ex
10-12-2006, 08:49 AM
hey pappy thanks for the link

what do you think of this holster
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=164309

monson
10-12-2006, 09:17 AM
ive got a walther p99 .40 cal and i have an uncle mikes and ive got a blackhawk drop leg tactical holster. i love it and have never even used my uncle mikes. the blackhawk is a little expensive (approx. $60) but IMO it is worth it. they make all kinds of different holsters too. www.blackhawk.com

edit ** i just looked em up and they are having a huge close out- $34.98 for the nylon drop leg

Pappy
10-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by tom400ex
hey pappy thanks for the link

what do you think of this holster

similiar to what ive been using. the only issue i have with the polymer holsters for CC use, combined with carrying a glock, is it can easily be taken from you and fired. Other models have a safety(mechanical) and can offer you that second you may need to pull a back up, take back the firearm or run:D

the biggest thing is what you intend to carry for. If its concealed carry, open carry or general usage. If its for general usage i would suggest a holster with a holding tab. open carry, same thing. concealed it comes down to personal preference, comfort and safety. I had a holster allow my 357 to fall out of my holster and i ran it over with the tractor. it was leather but had no way of securing the weapon.

if you have a local gun shop, go see what they have and ask to handle as many as you can. the good thing about todays holsters is that the better ones fit!

tom400ex
10-12-2006, 02:58 PM
I agree with you about the holding tab. I was thinking if I'm wearing it and moving around a lot it could fall out. this holster has a tab that secures the trigger. I don't need to draw my gun really quick (well I hope not) so having a open holster i don't think I will need.
unless I challenge someone to a shoot out and sundown:D

Woodsrider
10-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Here is my CC in its holster. Its an Old World, out of Oregon ccity Oregon. I think I paid $40ish for it a few years back. Hmmm that reminds me I need to go renew my permit. I wonder how much they're going to ding me for this time.

tom400ex
10-13-2006, 07:04 AM
nice firearm! the wood handle is awesome looking