PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Motocross Suspension for an 86 Honda TRX250R Everyone Needs to Know

395Rider
10-10-2006, 12:28 AM
My experience consists of 6 months in Trail Riding (Behind Dos Logos, Behind Canyon Lake, Wildomar, El Mirage Dry Lake), Hill Climbing (same locations), and MX Tracks (Racetown392 and Elsinore). My TRX250R is almost stock and I bottom the hell out of it on the tracks in the need for big air. My Pig weighs around 400 pounds, needs to loose weight, and gain more power. The only upgrades are the FMF Fatty Pipe, Jet Modification, Renthal Handle Bars, Zip Ties on Grips, Meaty ITP Hole Shots, and Racing Plastics.

I would like to get a suspension that is made specifically for racing on tracks and getting stupid air. I don’t know a damn thing about shocks, suspensions, centering, and width. After I took a chunk off of my leg and my friend stop laughing he said that I need to lower the Pig with a suspension and tires. This would avoid me from flipping on fast sharp turns. Here are my questions:

Shocks
1. For racing on a track and launching, do I need long travel shocks?
2. Are shocks adjusted to weight and riding area?
3. What types of shocks are good enough for getting buy in a motocross race?
4. What is the purpose of the piggy back on the shocks?

Suspension

1. There are several types of A-arms out there shaped differently, why so?
2. What is the correct width for a race track?
3. What type of ball joints are the best?
4. Does the rear linkage make a difference?
5. Is it possible to set the Pig up so it doesn’t bottom out?
6. Placing the wheels on backwards can increase and decrease the width?
7. What are the best known Motocross suspensions for an 86 TRX250R?

Centering
1. What is the proper way to center a bike for better turning?
2. Can pegs be adjusted or are there different peg designs to help centering?

Thank you for your response, I am sure everyone will appreciate this information and maybe save them time and money on their suspension.

Adam Torres 395 Rider
:confused:

elementryder
10-10-2006, 01:03 PM
ok id suggest

a-arms-
herrmann racing +3 long travel you wont regret long travel

Shocks-
custom axis compresion and rebound adj and they are set up for your weight (no advantage of piggy back just looks)

Axle-
rpm dominator

Tires-
Any bead lock on razr mx 18" (rear)
with +3 you will need 4-1 front wheels and razr mx 20"

there are no diff in shape or ball joints in a-arms as long as the ball joints are 16mm or higher

PismoLocal
10-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Here are your questions I answered them all under the originial question.
I really don't have as much experience as a lot of MX riders on this site though so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Shocks
1. For racing on a track and launching, do I need long travel shocks?
No
2. Are shocks adjusted to weight and riding area?
Yes
3. What types of shocks are good enough for getting buy in a motocross race?
Anything aftermarket its all personal preference, myself I like axis and pep for racing
4. What is the purpose of the piggy back on the shocks?
Piggy backs and remote resevoirs give the shock more room to store oil, more oil means cooler oil, cooler oil means consistent shocks that perform better.

Suspension

1. There are several types of A-arms out there shaped differently, why so?
Different shaped arms are for different styles of racing.
2. What is the correct width for a race track?
50" front and rear is the widest you can go in most races.
3. What type of ball joints are the best?
I have no idea
4. Does the rear linkage make a difference?
Yes
5. Is it possible to set the Pig up so it doesn’t bottom out?
Yep
6. Placing the wheels on backwards can increase and decrease the width?
Yep but that is the cheap***** way to do it.
7. What are the best known Motocross suspensions for an 86 TRX250R?
I think the no link rear or the CR500 linked rear is the one all the 250r guys drool over.

Centering
1. What is the proper way to center a bike for better turning?
I think better turning will be achieved through your stem, tie rods, rim, and handle bar selection. As far as lowering the bike, that is done through the type of shocks you buy look for a shock with ssd, zps, or ride height adjustability.
2. Can pegs be adjusted or are there different peg designs to help centering?
Yep Go with propeg nerfs. Its a nerfbar, peg and kick up all in one.

kyleschonert
10-10-2006, 05:09 PM
the main thing is, how much are you willing to spend? If you want to dish out ABUNCH of cash. You can look into Walsh A-arms, Roll Design. Companies like that, most expensive is not always the best, but alot of people tend to think so. Lonestar is also a good company in my opinon. Shocks, there is Axis, PEP, Stadium, Fox, Elka, Noleen. It more all depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

395Rider
10-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks to everyone that has responded and people that will respond in the future. Watch the number of views grow as people with the same question look for the answers. You guys really helped me out and will probably end up helping out a lot of people.

For everyone that responded and local riders in my area:

www.myspace.com/395rider

Here's a little skit of a stock bike beating:

We have Lift Off

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/adamadam1672/Adam3rdAttemptOvershot_0001.jpg

So Good So Far
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/adamadam1672/Adam3rdAttemptOvershot_0002.jpg

Where did the table top go?
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/adamadam1672/Adam3rdAttemptOvershot_0003.jpg

My War Cry! "HERE WE GO!"
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/adamadam1672/Adam3rdAttemptOvershot_0004.jpg

uuuuufffff!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/adamadam1672/Adam3rdAttemptOvershot_0005.jpg