PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Vs. Reliability ?? Getting A Little Scared...

chapds
10-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi guys...

I'm new to the 450R world. I recently purchased a new old stock 05 450R & love it. My plans were only HRC kit & slip on. After reading alot of posts about the HRC kit, i'm a little scared. Seems like if you install the kit, you are going to sacrifice reliability for power. I took my 450R out this weekend & for me, it's fast as hell ( 5'4", about 140 lbs and using a GPS & a vapor computer, my friend & i clocked ourselves between 60-67 miles per hour). I'm SO Not a racer, as I just go to the desert with my friends & tear it up. I dont want to kill reliability for speed, period. I want to keep this quad for a long long time & have fun, not be wrenching it all the time ( minus usual maintenance ). I have a couple different options. I definetley want more sound, so I was just looking at the HMF sport slip. Would probably give me a very slight blip in power, but should retain all the the reliability I want. Also, Alba makes there full system kit with K&N, pipe, silencer etc. Not sure about the reliability, but Alba is right down the street from me, so having them service it up wouldn't be a problem. I'm also worried a little bit about warranty issues, as I have the 4 year extended warranty on my quad. Please let me know what you guys think. I would appreciate it.

Thanx
Chap

Martin Blair
10-09-2006, 12:18 PM
First off, if done and installed right the HRC will not hurt reliablity. I have had a 13:1 JE piston and Stage 2 Hotcam in my bike that I installed and setup myself for a little over a year, and not one hint of a problem. Light modifications that dont involing boring the cyclender, or bottom end work should not afeect reliablity at all. Boring and bottom end work, if done correctly should have no effect as well.

Just take your time, and dont hurry, a manual will be a must for anyone doing engine work for the first time, or you can give it to a shop and they can do it for you.

chapds
10-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanx for getting back. Is the difference that much noticable with the HRC ?? I would have a dealer install it ( probably Alba ) & whenever I get engine work, I usually have it dyno'd, as I like to see the difference ( I know, crazy, but i'm one of those guys that likes things on paper ).

Thanx
Chap

K-Dub
10-09-2006, 12:24 PM
I have a 04 R with HRC kit and Rossier full system. Ive had my bike for a year and half, and have not had to do anything to the engine but change the oil and filter on a regular basis. I ride my R 3 to 4 days a week and atleast 1 of those days average around 70 miles (rode 150 miles yesterday with utes). So in my opinion the HRC kit will not hurt your reliabillity as long as you do the regular up keep to it.

chapds
10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanx K-Dub. That 15 hour piston change was scaring the absolute hell out of me. My wallet cant take that upkeep. I'm a stickler for usual maintenance. Gonna have my first service done at the dealer, but after that, do it myself.

Thanx for getting back.

Thanx
Chap

Martin Blair
10-09-2006, 12:28 PM
I dont run the HRC kit, or persoanlly know anyone who does, but I have read on this forum that the HRC kit and DR.D slip on are a great combination. From what Ive heard, the HRC kit takes a little power away from the bottom end, which the Dr. D brings back, and it adds 2-3hp on top. I love my 13:1 and stage 2 hotcam, I dynoed it at Little Sahara (thier is some contraversy concerning the acuraccy of thier dyno but that another story) it ran 46.7 at the rear wheels and was runninga bit lean.

I think you would be very happy with the HRC kit and a good pipe just to give it a little extra, if you do alot of woods riding, a 13T front sprocket is a good, and common modification. I am running 13/36 gearing with my modifications and love it, its a little lower then stock but a good combination.

And welcome to ATVriders.

chapds
10-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanx Martin. I'm pretty much a straight desert rider. It's all up in the air now, but with all the help on the forum, I know I'll you guys will help me make the correct decision. I'm going to wait awhile anyway until the engine is good & broken in before I do any mods ( was thinking probably the february time frame, but i'm impulsive, so who knows, it might be tomorrow ).

Thanx
Chap

Martin Blair
10-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Hey no problem. A good place to start is always a hi flow filter and exhuast system. The yoshi is the best for the 450r on the dyno at little sahara it pulled nearly 1 and a half more then the sparks. I am very impulsize as well. Im trying to save up some money to work on this project bike. I woods race, but am really interested in desert racing. I want to build a desert quad and race the 2008 baja 500, so far thiers 2 of us, me and a kid I race with in Missouri.

chapds
10-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanx Martin... Check this one out & tell me what you think...

http://store.albaaction.com/shop/PIPE-TRX450-BK-05-KIT.html

This place is really close to my house, & might go over & check them out today. No, not to buy, just to look. Want to get a steering stabilizer first & skid plates.

Thanx
Chap

kbass24emtp
10-09-2006, 12:48 PM
The HRC kit and HMF full system is also very good on power. This is what I have and love it.

Martin Blair
10-09-2006, 12:52 PM
That kit acutally looks really good for the price, looks like you would just need to buy jets. I would cut your lid like an HRC lid as well, that will take you to prolly a 185 main with the cut lid and that kit. But for 460 that pipe, filter kit is not a bad price, and should give you a quite noticable difference. Im off to work to pay some bills, but ill check in on this post when I get back

chapds
10-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanx Martin. It comes with the jets. I had them work on my blaster awhile back & they did a top notch job. Hard to find a mechanic you can trust...

Thanx for your help.

Thanx
Chap

DieselBoy
10-09-2006, 01:30 PM
if you're satisfied with the power of your quad then I would scrap the idea of buying an HRC Kit. OEM, hands down, is significantly more reliable. When you start to modify the engine you may or may not get lucky (doesn't matter WHO did it!). the 450s are not one for being known to get long, smooth, trouble free hours without regular motor overhauls. they're built for power, and speed, that's pretty much all.

and for the sake of having the warrenty i would keep it close to stock. ofcourse, thats if you value a warrenty without headaches.

chapds
10-09-2006, 01:52 PM
which is why most of me is just leaning towards getting a slip on for sound & that's it. the power is great for me. thanx for you help diesel...

thanx
chap

DieselBoy
10-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by chapds
which is why most of me is just leaning towards getting a slip on for sound & that's it. the power is great for me. thanx for you help diesel...

thanx
chap

No problem :D

450rJam
10-09-2006, 05:06 PM
get the hrc kit (it adds top end for sand)
if you need a little more on bottom drop a tooth (to 13) in front.
none of these will void your warranty.
for sound just get a slip-on but keep your stock can so that if there is a problem you can "put it back stock" for warranty work.

K-Dub
10-10-2006, 04:14 AM
When I was running the stock pipe with the HRC kit I had to run a 13t front sprocket, but once I put on the Rossier I had to go back to the 14t. I could not hit the throttle and keep the front end down at all with the 13 and the Rossier and I wiegh 370pounds. It pulls me just fine at 14/38 and the Rossier.

DieselBoy
10-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
get the hrc kit (it adds top end for sand)
if you need a little more on bottom drop a tooth (to 13) in front.
none of these will void your warranty.
for sound just get a slip-on but keep your stock can so that if there is a problem you can "put it back stock" for warranty work.

almost positive if the dealer don't install it your warrenty is gone poo.