PDA

View Full Version : Finally Took Out My New 450R...

chapds
10-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Wow is all I can say. I purchased a new old stock 05 450R about 1 month ago & took it out to Ocotillo/Plaster City in Socal this weekend. I upgraded from an 05 Blaster. It took me a little bit to get used to the power of this thing, but by the second half of the day, it was just awesome. I'm relatively new to quadding & I must say, the power, the torque, & the overall control of this thing is amazing. I do want a steering stabilizer as soon as possible, but for now, I cant think of much else. I will eventually get the HRC kit as well as a pipe, but this ride was fantastic. Pulling it up in second was simple. My friend who I ride with ( an ex-racer ) had never ridden a 450R ( he has a balls out 250R ) & was just amazed at the stock power of this thing. Thanx guys for helping make my decision. I think I made the right one.

Thanx
Chap

MR.BIG
10-09-2006, 12:27 PM
That's awesome they do run good but they are really restricted so put a pipe and cam in it and it will run really wake it up. Good luck

chapds
10-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanx bro. I just posted another thread about Speed Vs. Reliability. I'm not a racer at all, and was wondering about that 15 hour piston change. My wallet cant take that. My initial plans were HRC & HMF slip, but now i'm not sure.

Thanx
Chap

MR.BIG
10-09-2006, 12:37 PM
I rode mine hard for 2 years with the stock piston! I finally put a 13.1 piston in it for more power!

chapds
10-09-2006, 12:52 PM
That is what I needed to hear my friend. Thanx alot, making me feel better...

Thanx
Chap

sandmanblue
10-10-2006, 02:22 PM
The 15 hour piston change interval is for the '06 - not 04/05. Yours should go 100+ hours.

Make sure you use a good quality oil WITH moly in the engine. HP4M is my fav. Change the engine oil after ever 2 - 3 rides. Change the oil filter every other oil change.

Tranny oil can go 4 - 6 rides. Use what Honda recommends.

Strongly suggested - When you fill up the oil - fill to the full mark, then add another 100 cc's. On the tranny side, fill it to when it spills out the check hole and then after replacing the check hole screw - add another 100 cc's.

This is a recommended preventative measure from several sources. It will not hurt any seals or cause any problems whatsoever. It's really cheap insurance. :D

chapds
10-10-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm still all up in the air guys. I think i'm just gonna ride stock for awhile & see how that goes. I'm really all about the reliability right now, & for me, this thing is super fast for the riding i do, really. Yeah, maybe more power later, but like i said, i'm sill up in the air. I know I want more sound, that is a gimme, so it's more than likely gonna be a slip on for me, with jetting, & a redo of the airbox lid ( like the HRC, just to get a little more flow ). Was thinking of slip ( HMF I like & have great reviews ), an EHS lid ( or HRC lid, or templating & cutting my own ), & jets. Do you guys think I may keep the reliability, get the sound & want, & pump it up a little ?? let me know & thanx again...

Thanx
Chap

ghott
10-10-2006, 08:11 PM
You can actually mimick the HRC Kit (minus the cam) yourself for almost FREE.

You can cut your airbox lid to be just like the HRC's, or just take the whole airbox lid off. Cut the intake snorkel. Drill out the Breather-T. All of this for FREE.

The only thing you would actually have to spend money on is the HRC Needle for your carb, a 185 main jet, and the $40 HRC End Cap for the exhaust. The end cap wouldn't really be necessary if you were planning on adding a pipe anyhow.

As far as the HMF Slip-on, I've only heard good things about it. Honestly, I wouldn't waste my money on a slip-on tho. The real power gain to be had is in replacing the head pipe with a larger aftermarket one. If you are looking for sound, a slip-on would be fine. But if you plan on doing motor mods such as adding a Cam...the Full exhaust system is definitely the way to go. The larger head pipes really let the engine exhale more efficiently while keeping needed backpressure.

I would also suggest an aftermarket high flow air filter such as the Uni or Sparks. Both are foam type filters, like stock that will need to be cleaned and re-oiled regularly, but they do not utilize the restrictive spark arrestor like the stock air filter.

These are just suggestions for first steps on performance mods...take them for what you will..

Good Luck!

chapds
10-10-2006, 08:45 PM
and they've been taken brother ghott. much appreciated. i think that is the route i'm going to go. so not a racer, just like to bomb the desert with my friends...

thanx again, that was a great reply.

thanx
chap

ghott
10-10-2006, 08:56 PM
It'll turn into an addiction for ya....It definitely did for me. :)

Before doing anything, make sure you research it thoroughly, and make the best possible decision.

Good Luck!

chapds
10-10-2006, 09:50 PM
yeah my blaster was a mad addiction, & then i got rid of it. just dont want to do this with the 450. trying to get a nice happy medium i guess...

thanx
chap