PDA

View Full Version : What Carb should i get for my 400ex?

KAZZ400EX
09-04-2002, 01:42 PM
I am looking to get a new carb. I have a stock EX with some basic mods. I have a aluminum oversized airbox, K & N, jetkit, WB slipon pipe (e-sieries), and WB CDI box (rev limiter). I was looking at the edelbrock carb or keihin. i think i will get a 39, but i don't know yet. any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I am going to get some motor work done also and i would like to get the cark first. I think a 440 or 416 kit? Where should i get the carb from and what price? i have seen them at duncan racing for $ 400 to $ 470 range, also in Dennis Kirk.

Any help please!?!?!?!

Chris

RideRed400EX
09-04-2002, 01:47 PM
Just my opinion but I'd start with the motor work. If you really want the carb first get and FCR from Sparks.

09-04-2002, 03:03 PM
39 FCR

KAZZ400EX
09-04-2002, 04:34 PM
do you have a # for sparks or web address.

i know i should do the motor work first ,but i am having promlems with the needle jet holder. The jetting is messed up too. We are getting ready to go down to Little Sahara Sand dunes on the 19th of this month so i am in need of a carb that works if the parks that i ordered don't fix my problem. Thanks for your input guys.

Chris

09-04-2002, 05:44 PM
Nah.... get the Edlebrock Quicksilver.... all that golden color and shiny ness looks saweet

oynot400
09-05-2002, 08:01 PM
I did my motor work first, then put on the FCR. And let me tell you it really woke that motor up! I like the FCR for the tunablity, then again it takes a little more time to get it dialed in.
It is good to see someone else from Iowa. :D Have you been to the Little Sahara before. We are going again in November.
There is a link to Sparks web site in the links page. Be careful when ordering a FCR. I ordered one from K&K last year and all I got was a carb, no cable, jets, mounting hardware, ect.... and I paid the same price as everyone else that got everything. Just be sure that you get everything.

Big - D Racing
09-05-2002, 08:46 PM
I run the edelbrock and I love it. I bought it when my bike was stock in anticiptaion for my 440 kit. It worked good with my stock bike and diffently adde power. It works even better on the 440 kit. The float bowl is billet aluminum. There is no need to rejet with altitude changes like every other carb including the 39 and the 41FCR. Those carbs are great also, i'm just happy with the Edelbrock Qwicksilver Carb. Plus I managed to buy it brand new for $340 compared to the $479 retail price. So shop around you can find it for atleast $400, and even lower if your lucky.

Dune Surfer
09-05-2002, 09:40 PM
Big D
Where did you get your quicksilver carb? By the way I am taking your advice on a cam. I am going to wait until I can afford the 416 or 426 installed. While I save I might get the carb. It can't hurt and I don't have to open my still new engine.

Big - D Racing
09-05-2002, 09:57 PM
It's Called San Diego Sportcycles They'll sell stuff right above dealer cost if you pay with cash. When I ordered the carb it was on back order and took 4 weeks to get. I don't think they're on back order anymore and it'll only take 1 day to get it. The only way you can get it at a great price (under $400) is if you go there and pay in cash up front. They'll order from their supplier in Los Angeles and it'll get delivered the next day unless their closed. here's there info:

San Diego Sportcycles
7245 El Cajon Blvd.
San Diego, Ca 92115
(619)464-6255

Call them they'll give you a price quote over the phone, but they won't accept credit cards over the phone. They do accept credit cards, but they won't give you as good of a price if you use credit, so pay cash. Anytime I deal with them it's strictly cash. I've got dg nerfs for $105, pro circuit slip-on for $170, and more. All items are brand new.

KAZZ400EX
09-05-2002, 10:59 PM
i have been to little sahara about 5 times so far. i love it down there. We try to go once is the spring before it gets too hot and once in the fall when it starts to cool down. oynot400 you should meet us down in little sahara on the 19 thru the 22nd of this month, it will be a blast. i think there will be almost 20 of us. Where do you ride in Iowa? Bye coralville or have you tried Bussy.

I think i might just get a stock carb and then sell it on ebay for now if i can't fix the one i have for now. it drives me nuts when i can't ride on the weekends. I have to have it running sweeet befor we go down to the dunes so i'll do whatever it takes to get it running good asap. The stock carb I can get from service honda for 190 and the Edelbrock is about 470 or 400 if you get a good deal on it. I am saving up for a 440 or 465 kit, but I don't have $ 3,000 laying around to do it right from CT or Duncan or Trinity Racing.

Thanks again for the input guys
:devil

Dune Surfer
09-05-2002, 11:10 PM
Thanks Big D.
I will give them a call. I am still torn between getting the carb or getting just a JE 416 piston installed. The problem is I can't afford the cam now and I am leary of opening up the motor more than once. What do you think?

Big - D Racing
09-06-2002, 12:57 AM
You can do the piston first and the cam later with no problems to your head. Really you only have to remove your head once that's when the cylinder gets sleeved and bore. When you put in the cam, springs, and rockers you only have to remove the top head cover. That's where the cam is you can remove that as often as you want, just replace the gasket often. I heard if you take your whole head off a lot that can cause damage to the bolts, that it bolts onto. There's nothing to worry about with the head cover. So do the piston now, cam later, a carb later. The order is up to you, just make sure the cam doesn't go in until the piston kit goes in first. That's the only rule.

Dune Surfer
09-07-2002, 08:41 AM
I am getting a edelbrock for $330 from san diego sportcycles.

Krazy Kid
09-08-2002, 01:29 PM
The Sparks website is www.sparksracing.com as for the carbs. I know nohting about them!

Blake24
09-08-2002, 03:23 PM
For the money i heard Lectrons are pretty good.....i think you can get a 39mm for around 239 bux and its easy to adjust .........TC uses Lectrons so thats gotta say something

my $.02