PDA

View Full Version : I want to ride this thing sometime soon...

stuntman_12
10-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Ok i have now owned my 400 ex for over TWO months and it hasn't rolled. LONG story... i'll leave it at that. Ok, here i am... I just rebulit the top end... and Bought the 450r carb. THe quad came w/ the Edlebrock carb, but it was adjusted so far out of the park hat it will prob never be right. I have not heard this thing run. I am wanting to ride so bad i can't see straight...

It will fire every now and again once, then cycle, cycle, cyle, and fire again... just every now and then. MY mods are in my sig, The carb has a 48 pilot, 118 main(I think), the needle came in the third clip position, and i STILL do not know where the A/F screw is on this carb.
PLEASE HELP... all i want to do is ride... all of my buddies have been goin every weekend! I have to sit at the house and work on a non rolling quad.

firefighterjosh
10-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Try this...

400 450r carb jetting (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231507)

stuntman_12
10-09-2006, 11:03 PM
I've been al through it, but that doesn't answer some of my questions... thanks for the help though!!!

firefighterjosh
10-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by stuntman_12
I've been al through it, but that doesn't answer some of my questions... thanks for the help though!!!

NP Free Bump

400eXr1d3rZ
10-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Try about a 210 main and 48 pilot, i'm not too sure where the air/fuel screw is, sorry.

Ncboost
10-10-2006, 03:50 AM
Have you tried adjusting the valves?

stuntman_12
10-10-2006, 03:06 PM
No i haven't.... i just thought about that... this is my first four stroke. I get the engine set to TDC via the "T" mark on the crank and make sure that the valves are closed, correct? This should be the compression stroke, Then pull all four circle covers off of the top of the engine and make sure that there is "some" movement in the vavles.....

**What is some movement??? How should i know when they're set correctly?****

Thanks guys!!!:D

c.mcd
10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
make sure there is some movement but also get a fillergauge and check the clearence between the valve and the rockers... the intake valve should be about 2 to 3 thousanths not sure though check with dealer or hopefully someone will clear things up on actually clearance and the exhaust valve should be about 2 to 3 thousanths more then intake cause exahust valve gets hotter and will expanded

so to make it easier to read then the really long sentence above

get fillergauge...borrow one if nessacary and measure

intake valve- 2- 3 thousandths of an inch

exahaust valve- 5- 6 thousandths of an inch

the valve should move but barely when you shake them

hope this helps

PismoLocal
10-11-2006, 10:50 AM
A 118 main jet is rediculously lean for a 416 w/ a 450r carb you quad most likely doesnt start up because you aren't getting nearly enough gas. It you read the 450r jetting thread you will notice that most people with 416's are running a 180 or higher.