PDA

View Full Version : Dual Purpose? How ManY Switch setups?

ITSTOCK
10-08-2006, 07:37 PM
I just hit up Rausch Creek today (first time at an MX track, I ride all trails). I have LSR longtravel +2's and Elka zps shocks.

The LSR's were for sale, as I ordered Houser +.5's for the woods. HOWEVER, after riding MX, I like it just as much as the woods. I was talking to Bob from Hardcoreatv.net and he told me that the long travel suspension is going to soak up the jumps just as well, whether it's +2's or the +.5's. The stability/width is obviously different.

My question is, I was wondering if any of you switch setups on the bike? For example, I will have the Houser .5's and the LSR 2's, as well as my RPM +1/+4 axle. Is it uncommon to switch out setups within the bike, pretty often??? Or should the .5's be plenty enough? (I won't know untill I try obviously). BTW, I am going cheap and keeping my 19.5" Elka's. I am not getting them revalved (revalved for my weight for MX), and I am going to try them in the woods with the +.5's. If I don't like them (they felt good with the +2's in the woods, the +2's were just too wide), I will probably be looking for some Axis shocks.

Thanks
Steve

Flyin-Low
10-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I wish I could toss around the coin like that... :ermm:

-Martin

pudamac12
10-08-2006, 11:21 PM
steve what offset rim are you running. Maybe try getting ahold of a 4:1 front rim and see what you think with the plus two's then. It would be a total of 2" wider then stock. Just something to think about

ITSTOCK
10-09-2006, 05:31 AM
My 4:1 hipers should be here this week, along with the housers. I have read that the 4:1's are better in most aspects anyway, compared to the 3:2's. I still think that although I would fit through the trials with that combo (I'm literally about 2 inches too wide on most of the trails I go on, I have to ride up the tree's), it would be too tight and slow me down too much. Since I ride with dirt bikes for the most part, the smaller the better.

I read your other post though, and I will give the houser's a try at the track. If they feel stable enough, I'll definately sell the 2's.

Thanks a lot for your replies,
Steve

Dave400ex
10-09-2006, 10:14 AM
The only problem is that the Houser arms are made for a 18.5" shock. I'm not sure how good the inch longer shocks will work.

ITSTOCK
10-09-2006, 01:42 PM
I didn't get the slicast or the Max ground clearance, I got their regular +.5 version long travel arms, which are meant for 19.5" shocks :) I wanted the MGC's, than found out I couldn't use them. After I found out the slicasts wouldn't work, I settled for the plain jane houser LT's :(

Originally posted by Dave400ex
The only problem is that the Houser arms are made for a 18.5" shock. I'm not sure how good the inch longer shocks will work.