PDA

View Full Version : tapered bearing carrier ??????

sburton1
10-08-2006, 06:26 PM
got a used tapered bearing carrier the other day and looked inside and the bearings have alots of movement side to side, are they suposed to do that? their sittin in their kinda free theirs like 1/4 an inch of side to side movement.

thanks
cole

Wildbrain
10-09-2006, 01:15 AM
Spend a few $$$$ and get new bearings for it.
You will have piece of mind and know that they will work for you.
Just remember not to overtighten the axle nut or you will ruin those new bearings.

sburton1
10-09-2006, 05:02 AM
how much do new bearings run???

maxamillion
10-09-2006, 05:56 AM
tapered carriers are made to have side to side play in the bearings. They will probably even move up and down some. I just sold a nice RAD tapered carrier and it did the same thing. There is no center spacer on tapered carriers either. They will tighten up on their own when you install the axle and tighten the lock nut.

Stonewall 61
10-09-2006, 10:46 AM
correct...... thats the advantage of tapered

rummerd
10-09-2006, 01:25 PM
The advantage of tapered bearings is the strength over a roller bearing. The tapered bearings are about 6 times stronger and are easily re-packable.

Wildbrain
10-09-2006, 02:31 PM
I usually get the replacement bearing kit from Magic Racing.com They sell the whole kit. Also the stock brake caliper bracket won't fit on the tapered carrier so you will have to get a new one of those also. Just give em a call and tell them what you need {tapered bearings, seals and a new brake caliper bracket} they will set you right up. I think it should run you $25-30 for the bearings and seals.The brake caliper bracket is extra and I don't remember what that costs. Make sure that you get the little spacer washers with the bracket, you will need those but I am pretty sure it comes in the kit.
Now... put it all together and you will have the best set up you can have.
Go out, HAMMER DOWN, get real muddy, ride just under the speed of sound, and have a good time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sburton1
10-09-2006, 04:05 PM
ya i got the brake brackey already but you need spacers??? dident know i need those?

Wildbrain
10-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Ya, the spacers look like big fat flat washers. About 1/4" thick. You should have gotten them with the bracket. When you assemble it you will see where they go. Maybe, if you don't have them you could stack a few flat washers to make up the distance. They go on the two bolts that hold the brake caliper on.

oldskoolex400
10-12-2006, 07:23 PM
so where is the best place to get the bracket?

F-16Guy
10-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by rummerd
The advantage of tapered bearings is the strength over a roller bearing. The tapered bearings are about 6 times stronger and are easily re-packable.
Especially with heavy side loads; that's usually what destroys regular bearings.