PDA

View Full Version : October 14 & 15 Flattrack District 17 @ Taylorville

Kfslovetoride
10-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Two days of racing with ATV classes offered both days. Racing on the big track. District 17 points awarded.

Saturday, Oct 14 Sign-up @ 10, Practice @ noon, Racing to follow.

Sunday, Oct 15 Sign-up @ 9, Practice @ 10, Racing to follow.

Camping available on grounds. Showers, bathrooms, bike wash, & concessions also on grounds.

Same place as ATV Extreme Nationals were held but on the big oval.

Any questions, contacted me @ kfslovetoride@yahoo.com

For those of you who came to Paducah Kentucky this weekend, thanks for a GREAT show! You all put on an awesome show.

Kevin Snyder

yfz450xc
10-14-2006, 09:37 PM
I hope they dont run the Mini quads with the bikes likem they did for us.
See Below

The dark Side of racing
Based on a true Story
This weekend I and my son go to a local race in district 17we have been calling our home track for almost 5 years now and was awaken to the fact that all the hard work so many of us have done for promoting ATV racing, still have a very long road ahead of us.
I myself am an AMA district 18 officer and an officer in a Chartered
District 18 AMA club for over 20 years now and make it a point
and my business to see that ATV’S are treated in a fair manner.
With that being said we attended a race this weekend to race for our “prestigious Points” in the youth mini atv hare scramble series which we have been in for the last 3 years now. We have moved up to a 70cc now to keep up with the competition and he is ready for the challenge
At this weekends race we were informed that we would be racing with the mini bike class and we were not informed of this until we were at the starting line.
Knowing the rules like any good representative should I stated the rules from the AMA 2006 rules book, Chapter 4, section P paragraph 2 which states that “The promoter shall specify the format in all advance advertising and at the riders meeting. No Combination of ATV’S, minicycles or motorcycles
may be run at the same time on the same course “
The promoters score keeper told me “this is not a AMA race and therefore does not apply”, correct as she was I asked her “Do you not host numerous ATVA events here and follow their rules” she kept silent at this point.
We went on with the race and blew it off worried as I may have been I concentrated what was on hand and that was the safety of our riders, bike or ATV.
While walking with some of the parents of the Bike riders who were not happy about all this either, one stated to me that “if one of them Quads knock my boy over I am going to yank him off his quad” being older now and representing ATV riders everywhere I swallowed what I would have done in
past; and instead of me knocking him to where he would have to sit down to swallow his food; I simply informed him I was one of those “Quad parents”and I slapped him in the shoulder and told him’ How about we wait to see what happens before we start yanking kids off their bikes? He said sorry and we went our way, thinking to my self this would be one good reason why
we should keep bikes and quads separate because neither knows enough about the other.
As the day went on there were one or two small instances where a quad got hung up with a bike but, no one hurt no harm. Towards the end of the race I noticed both quad riders were at best riding at 60% and really not even trying to compete with each other. It was then I saw both of them on the
back stretch pulling over and letting the bike's go by and waiting.
I approached the other parents of the quad racer and asked them if they had told their son the rule of “rider courtesy” where if there is one rider faster than you then pull over and let them by; they informed me that no they had not
but the score keeper had told them” the quad riders if a bike comes up behind you move over and let them by”.
Well they took it as though they had to pull out of the way completely and let them all by every lap; needless to say they feel like they are not real racers because they can not compete with others.
Rather than making a scene like so many of us have scene before I elected to do it in a story, not pointing fingers or names.
I feel so let down as a racer, an officer, a promoter, and a follower of our home track, I was going to pull out all the stops in this one but did not want my son to be exposed to the “ Dark Side of Racing”
We will return to this track I do not know but the best I can pray for is that we all realize we are racers whether it is ATV or Bike, all deserve the same respect. The late 1980’s scare is over and we don’t need to be promoting animosity among the ranks, there is enough of that to go around.
It would be so much better if we all knew more about each other rather than taking one for granted trying to hide our lack of preperation to course setup.

Thank You
Scott B Johnson

Good luck up there and hope it all goes well for you all.

moto50
10-24-2006, 07:58 AM
AMA district 18 officer
Don't you mean Alternate?