PDA

View Full Version : strange problem

YFZ450Ridr
10-08-2006, 12:42 PM
2 weeks ago my throttle cable broke on my yfz while i was riding so i repalced it no problem and the throttle is soft as ever. i started it let it warm up and it did fine with the choke on at my house.

yesterday i took it riding and again it started fine but had a little trouble idiling so i just worked the throttle to get it warm. once its warm and the choke is off it wont idle in when i pull the clutch in or in nuetral unless i crank the idle screw up extremly high.

what could the problem be? it runs fine but just wont idle? it was the original throttle cable so is it possible that it was stretched out and now i need to adjust my needle or somthing? i need to mess with the cable adjustment and the idle but as of right now im stumped! can anyone help :confused:

rooster300ex
10-08-2006, 01:16 PM
You have to get the right amount of slack between the thumb throttle and the carb.

1fst400
10-09-2006, 10:14 AM
there is soposed to be slack in the throttle cable. or eltse when you turn left usually it will pull on the cable a little and rev the motor up.

when you crank in the idle adjustment screw does it then idle? If it does then whats the problem?

RRP
10-09-2006, 03:28 PM
I learned the hard way about the proper slack in the cable.When I took my carb off to rejet it,I let the jam nut where the cable hooks to the carb move.Put everything back together and didn't think anything of it until I started it.Run fine as long as you gave it some gas but no idle.took the carb back off thinking I did something wrong with the jets but all way fine.It was then I realized the the nut wasn't where it was the first time.Readjusted the cable and everything was fine.

YFZ450Ridr
10-09-2006, 04:55 PM
went out tonight and messed with the carb, and i found the problem. where the throttle cable hooks into the carb on the side, there are 2 little slots for it to go. well i had it on the wrong one and i guess it was throwing it all off. such a stupid mistake! thanks for the help anyway guys.