PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm really stumped

brokeitin3
09-04-2002, 05:42 AM
When I got home from work I hopped on the 250ex and was going to play around for a while. But something was wrong, It was almost 100 yersterday and I had to turn the choke on to even get it to start. It idled smoothly till the engine got hot. I then turned the choke off, it died and would not start back without turning the choke on. Now this time when it starts it backfires and misses like crazy. I checked all that I know to check. Cleaned the air filter, installed new plug, and its getting plenty of fuel. Would the timing have anything to do with this? Im sure it does, but if it was out of time, seems it would not idle so good when the engine is cold. Any advice would help.

two_baaalls
09-04-2002, 06:41 AM
Definitly not getting plenty of fuel. Breather hoses from the gas tank being clogged usually causes a gradual decrease in fuel reaching the carb, so that shoudlnt be it. Sounds like clogged jets? Its gotta be a gas problem.

330EXman
09-04-2002, 06:50 AM
check your fuel swith and make sure it on on

if it is then you jetting isnt made for 100 degree heat and that cause you engine to run way to rich and that is why your choke keeps it running

dont keep running this machine in this condition it is very unhealthy and i would suggest taking it to someone that knows how to tune carbs very well

is say someone who knows what they are doing cause carbs on wheelers are mostly a guessing game

one last suggestion

check you float and throttle cable if these are stuck it could be flooded

mine did this once and man it was letting huge back fires like 14- 16 inch flames but my engine is high compression and all tweaked out to 416cc