PDA

View Full Version : Engine Poping at Full Throttle "Long Read" But worth it.

Bigdaddy52302
10-07-2006, 09:42 PM
O.K. This was about to make me pull my hair out.
I bought a 400ex and from day one it was poping, not back firing but more like a pop dide pop pop pop at full throttle. It idled fine it would rev to moon in nuetural, and it had low power for days as long as I didnt open it all the way up, but as soon as the throttle was wide open it would pop away.
So I make a 1-3 run and pull the plug and the bottom half is black to brown but the little bar bent across the top of the plug was white, I will include a pic later. So I am thinking Lean so I adjust the **** out of the air fuel mixture screw to no avial. I put the stock rev box on and no good. Finialy I give up and fiqure it needs rejetted.
About a half hour goes by and my buddy that was helping me try to fiqure this out calls and says that he read on these boards that poping on acceleration is RICH and on deacceleration is Lean. He convinces me to take my air box lid off even though I was sure I was Lean, and at 9:45 at night in the middle of a residental neighbor hood to Rip *** one last time through the gears!!!:devil: :eek2: :devil:
Guess what, He was RIGHT, It runs like a freaking raped ape!!:blah: :confused: :blah:
So what gives why was my plug white, does a rich mix make the motor run hot and that is why the plug was white?? Do I still need to jet?? I am lost.....I mean it runs freaking great now, course that was only one pass since it is so late. Tomorrow I am going to buy three new plugs and I am going to drop a new one in make a pass with the airbox lid of and check it. Then I might put it back on and see if it pops agian. I dont get it if any one knows why my plug looked like this let me know.

Bigdaddy52302
10-07-2006, 09:46 PM
another pic

Bigdaddy52302
10-07-2006, 09:47 PM
one more pic, sorry the camera sucks, guess i know what to get my wife for christmas....

400eXr1d3rZ
10-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Do you know what size jets you are running right now? What mods do you have?

Bigdaddy52302
10-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Not sure what jets it has now, It came with a FMF Power Core 4 Slip on and a K&N precharger airfilter, a stage one hot cam, the guy took care of it and I am sure he jetted it for all these mods. I really dont want to pull my jets unless absolutly nessecery. I am currious for what tommorow will bring with a new plug and a hard run throught the gears with the airbox lid off. I have the fuel mix screw out 1 and 1/2 turns.

400eXr1d3rZ
10-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Turn the air/fuel screw out 2 1/2. What are you using to turn it with? I find mine a pain in the *** to turn it with, I just use my fingernail.