PDA

View Full Version : New to the 450r scene... Front suspension Question??

Pred_003
10-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Ok so i bought a like new 04 450R... After riding a predator i've found the 450 is way to narrow.... I don't want to dump a load of cash into the suspension because the stock is fine for the riding i do... If i get standard travel a-arms (tie rods) and a wider axle can i avoid buying the expensive shocks??? What else would i have to replace??? Any help is greatly appreciated.....

d3ktrix
10-07-2006, 06:27 PM
The stock shocks will work with +2 standard travel a-arms.
You'll just need the axel/ a-arms / tie rods and maybe brake lines depending on ur stem.

The +2 a-arms will make the shocks feel softer though because of the increased leverage.
Raising the compressing will help some depending on your riding style.
Can always get them rebuilt after that.

honduh440
10-07-2006, 06:30 PM
ur rear shock will not matter if u get a wider axle. if the front shocks dont feel good enough for you after you get aarms you can get them revalved for ur specs for pretty cheap

450raider
10-07-2006, 06:56 PM
you got an r huh? welcome aboard brother, mark another one for the red team.

but i hear that getting your stock shocks redone takes you a far way. :D

MAD450r
10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
After that I'd save up to get your shocks revalved, then think about changing the rear link to stock it ffrom bucking.

I have an 04 I did that same setup too and I been very happy. I came off a fully elka suspended 416ex so I too found the R to be narrow and a tad tall in stock form.

Flyin-Low
10-07-2006, 08:31 PM
How much wider is a preddy than a 450r anyway?

If you want a good suspension set-up cheap then just get one of those full kits??

Your going to want to upgrade the suspension eventually anyway...

-Martin

MAD450r
10-08-2006, 06:58 AM
My friends 03 is at 47.5 stock with, my stock R was at 46.3

My ex was at 49 about when I bought my R so the ex felt much more stable to me.

My friends 03 pred is right at 50 now, just like my R is right at 50 as well.

Pred_003
10-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Now one other question..... What is a good set of Standard travel +2's??? I think this is going to be just the ticket...... Also does anyone have any input on Denton Racing parts?? Found a kit including two works shocks, a-arms, brake lines, rear axle and tie rods for $1145.00.... (in the november issue of dirtwheels on pg. 217) if anyone can offer advise i'd apreciate it.... thanks again........ The kit is called Denton Wide Body kit

MAD450r
10-08-2006, 04:39 PM
If you mostly trail ride and dont jump all the time i'd consider a pair fo burgards +2's about 550$ and if you can get one a g-force axle 200$ then down the line just get your shocks redone I love my derisi's alot. They work as good as the ST elka's on my 416 work.

As for works shocks I'd just get rebuilds before buying them.

tltcracing
10-08-2006, 08:13 PM
check out houser too for the arms. i say get the front stockers revalved and you will be fine. i have a plus two stem and +2 arms and the brake lines strech just fine. g force axle is very good and has a liftime worrenty so you cant go wrong. i like denton however im not a very big fan of the works shocks on a 450. i think the stocks revalved are a little better and are cheaper, and you get to keep the adjustment too (the works that come with the kit are non adjustable).

Pred_003
10-09-2006, 06:29 AM
Where can i get the shocks done? any web sites or numbers and personal experiences, good or bad with a certain company....

quadwanter
10-09-2006, 06:55 AM
i've heard nothing but good from both Dersi and GT thunder :macho i'll be getting the GT thunders this summer ($ pending)

MAD450r
10-09-2006, 09:45 AM
I have not ridden other's but for me that was the best mod I have done yet to my R. I am so much faster now. No more buck from the rear shock/linkage.

Our site sponsor c&d racing also does shock revalves. C&d's does not use a new link but i've heard there setup also helps on elimating the buck from the rearend.

Check the link section on the top of the site to see maybe the links are in there.

Pred_003
10-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Took the R to the track for my first time today..... Found out first hand about the rear end buck you guys are talking about...... looks like i'm gonna need to revalve all the shocks at once..... Thanks again for everyone's input.... i'll be sending my shocks out as soon as the snow flies...... calling for prices tomorrow