View Full Version : Problems w/ 05

RedRipinRocket
10-07-2006, 12:56 PM
So guys I took my bike to the shop to get it rejetted. The guys at the shop re-jetted, and said it still runs horribly. To tell you all the truth I havent ridden it much this year since I finished my rebuild in april, and when I did it still bogged and felt like it needed to be jetted. Long story short I took it and had it rejetted and it hasnt helped.

The symptoms were it ran off idle and then when you would lightly push on the throttle it started to bog from bootm all the way through mid-range. It would bog then eventually clear out on top end. We adjusted the pilot jet and then when you hit the throttle off idle it ran fine, but as soon as mid range it bogged. We have tried all sorts of jetting and nothing has made that big a difference. The mechanics dont think its the valves or the jetting.

It has a sparks pipe, sparks airfilter, and has been rejetted according to what curtis sparks told the shop.
What else should I have them look at? I'd appreciate any help.

proff x
10-07-2006, 03:52 PM
i use a dyno jet kit it works great, and adjust fuel mixutre screw 2.5 out. first goall the way in .try putting it back to stockjets and pipe if still does it and try allover again i suggest a dyno jet kit though it works great with my hmf

CHEVYZ
10-07-2006, 04:58 PM
You may have bad gas.

RedRipinRocket
10-08-2006, 06:41 AM
i really dont think its the gas ot the jetting. We rejetted with bigger stock jets and we have changed the gas a couple times which hasnt helped.

Could it be electrical?
Or maybe like a timing issue?

It seems like everyday its different.

I think im going to return it to stock and see what I cant figure out from there.

dead eye 00
10-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Have you adjusted your needle?

RedRipinRocket
10-08-2006, 09:14 AM
yes the needle, pilot, and main jet plus the air/ fuel screw

im going to put the stock jetting, airfilter, and pipe on when i get it back

that will tell me if it the jetting or if it is somethign else

10-09-2006, 06:34 PM
You are probably going to think this sounds a little dumb but it had happen to my friend. His 450r '05 was doing the same thing bogging and no power what so ever and they changed jets and even went to another carb to see if that was the problem still wasnt. The problem was the cam itself kinda twisted like the part you bolt the chain sproket on to turned a little bit so you could never get your timing right. Its hard to belive but that is what it was. just incase you didnt understand what i was saying

The left side of your cam (if your sitting on the bike) There is that casting on the outside with the tabs to hold your cam sproket on. That whole thing moved on the cam even the littlest bit would through it off alot. Just somthing to look into.

TMSmx47
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Yup what he said^^^^^^... It can happen. If you changed your cam, your off a tooth or two.

Take off the valve cover, then on the clutch side theres a big hex head plug. Like a inch big.. Take the out, line the timing dot on the flywheel in there with the casting arrow right there on your case... Then look at your cam marks. The lines should be straight across, kinda level with the deck of the head.

N300exJ
10-09-2006, 07:48 PM
what is your jetting?????? My 05 450r has an HRC kit, uni filter and an HMF pro series slip on. My pilot jet is up one from stock. I have the HRC needle still in the setting like in the kit(3rd clip) and my main jet is 200. My quad runs friggin awesome. this thing pulls hard all the way to the top. So its either your jetting or your timing could be off. Even just one tooth off and itll run like dog crap. Id check the timing first. It would probably be even a good idea to get the HRC needle and put it in. But yeah check timing and try jetting it again.

Architects
10-09-2006, 10:01 PM
How do you currently have it jetted. You never did tell us your numbers.

RedRipinRocket
10-12-2006, 08:04 PM
sorry bout that

timing was checked and its spot on.
jetting at the moment is 185 main, stock needle center clip, and stock pilot. The shop maintains it is not the jetting and so does my dad.

They are looking at the wiring harness thinking maybe there is a bad ground or something.

And i dont have a different cam its stock.

We are getting it back this weekend, im going to put stock jetting and pipe back on, and stock airfilter with lid. that should tell me if it is in fact jetting or something else

I think that it might be the new airfilter because it doesnt use the cage that goes in stock

any more ideas?

outlaw450r
10-13-2006, 06:48 AM
I would check and make sure the valves are adjusted correctly.