PDA

View Full Version : Jetting help

beany
10-07-2006, 12:04 PM
OK I have an 06 honda 450r bone stock with a 115 main. Putting on a rossier full exhaust and uni filter with the lid staying on, and I'm at 1000 above sea level. Anyone with similar setup to get me on the right track with the carb setup?? Or just smart with this stuff?? Any help is greatly apprieciated thanks

beany
10-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Actually its a 120 main! Just pulled it out

400eXr1d3rZ
10-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Is that stock? I never thought it would be that low. If it's stock then bump it up to about 128 or so.

beany
10-07-2006, 02:51 PM
I put a 125 in and its lean. Didnt adjust anything else on it run good but just lean. Place where i get my jets from is closed now so i'm sitting idle now just thinking of what to to. The needle doesnt have any other clips then just the one so???????????

krt400ex
10-07-2006, 02:52 PM
no,no,no,no,no. u need to go to like a 160 at least on the 450s when u do a pipe. what is the stock pilot?? u wil need to go bigger on that too. the 450s r really restricted from the factory, that is why they r jeeted so lean, but as soon as u open them up, u need to go big on the jets.

400eXr1d3rZ
10-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
no,no,no,no,no. u need to go to like a 160 at least on the 450s when u do a pipe. what is the stock pilot?? u wil need to go bigger on that too. the 450s r really restricted from the factory, that is why they r jeeted so lean, but as soon as u open them up, u need to go big on the jets.

They're jetted lean to pass emission. But I never knew it was jetted THAT lean, so yeah, bump to about 160 - 170. Put pilot at about 50 -52 or so.

beany
10-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah I'm new to the FCR stuff so I'm kinda stupid with them. That seems like a huge jump in the size, counter guy said that these would work, apperently really wrong!! Go get some more tomarrow start at a 160, and on the piolt go to like a 50 you say, I don't even know where that is on the carb but when I buy it, I'll be able to figure out where it goes, is there adjustment on it?? Thanks for all the help so far

krt400ex
10-07-2006, 04:39 PM
the jets r all on the bottom of the carb. pull the float bowl off and u will see that it is all right there

400eXr1d3rZ
10-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
the jets r all on the bottom of the carb. pull the float bowl off and u will see that it is all right there

You don't have to take the float off. Just the cover which is the bottom of the carb.

krt400ex
10-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
You don't have to take the float off. Just the cover which is the bottom of the carb.

ya, i know. that is called the float bowl.

400eXr1d3rZ
10-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Oh I didn't see that you said float BOWL, sorry.

beany
10-07-2006, 11:51 PM
one othere question is the leak jet should i do anything with that?? Down by the accel pump right?? And the pilot is next time the main right?? there are two of them there though is it the one to the left or the right??? Thanks I know I'm a pain! We should try to make a sticky with stock jetting then mods done and jetting that was needed to run them, so people get a good starting point. Just a thought

roamer9562
10-08-2006, 01:26 AM
I would say try the 160 main, 50 pilot, and about 2 1/2 turns out on your airfuel screw. I am at about 2600 ft and run a 162 main in my bike with those settings and is almost perfect. Also, I would take the air filter box lid off and go get you an outerwears cover for your box. You lose so much by enclosing that uni filter in the box not letting it breathe. You will get much more throttle response and torque by using the outerwears. It is a very breathable material and will run you about 25 to 30 bucks... best investment you could ever make.

roamer

roundsy
10-08-2006, 09:28 AM
im at 1000 ft too, but im going to jet mine for no lid this afternoon, im going to run a 165 main, stock pilot, 55 leak, and crf needle on the 3rd clip and try that, ill post up later on how it worked for me

beany
10-08-2006, 03:06 PM
roundsy the leak jet is down on the float bowl right?? I'm in a learning mode with the FCR, Didnt get any jets today they were closed:mad: going to pick up a 160 and a 165 tomarrow. Someonw said changing the pilot made for hard starting, What does the leak jet control?? I should really get the cfr needle because the stocker has no adjustment. Let me know how your setup went. Thanks

roundsy
10-09-2006, 11:38 AM
beany, just went out for a ride, had it set up how i said earlier, the thing just rips, no hesitation anymore if ya punch the throttle, i pulled my spark plug out after and its spot on, also i am planning to get a pipe so my jetting should be pretty close then, but right now i have the baffle pulled out of the stock pipe and it runs perfect, hope this helps

beany
10-09-2006, 06:31 PM
OK, started playing with the jetting again tonight and it seems to be getting ridicuious. I'm up 195 main with the airbox lid on!! and it is still running lean. I ran it with the choke on and it ran great and the plug looked good to. Have the CFR on order btu otherwise running all stock settings, What the heck is going on?? any takers??

beany
10-09-2006, 07:07 PM
And another question where is the fuel screw on an FCR?? Im learning these things as I go so

krt400ex
10-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by beany
OK, started playing with the jetting again tonight and it seems to be getting ridicuious. I'm up 195 main with the airbox lid on!! and it is still running lean. I ran it with the choke on and it ran great and the plug looked good to. Have the CFR on order btu otherwise running all stock settings, What the heck is going on?? any takers??

r u using OEM jets???

beany
10-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Getting them from the honda dealer, closest shop, thinking that they must be but not sure. they have a star looking thing and then the jet size of that helps

krt400ex
10-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Getting them from the honda dealer, closest shop, thinking that they must be but not sure. they have a star looking thing and then the jet size of that helps

ya those r OEM....hmmm, what is it running like??? how does it feel? sound? ect...

beany
10-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Seems to be running pretty good, was getting alittle late don't want the neighbors to hate me yet! with the choke on absolutly no hesitation reved good in the garage didnt ride it like that. Where on the FCR is the fuel screw? just thinking i'm getting to big on the main, waiting for my needle now to

krt400ex
10-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Seems to be running pretty good, was getting alittle late don't want the neighbors to hate me yet! with the choke on absolutly no hesitation reved good in the garage didnt ride it like that. Where on the FCR is the fuel screw? just thinking i'm getting to big on the main, waiting for my needle now to

the fuel screw should be located on te bottom of the float bowl, but on the fcr it might be different....i'll see if i can look it up

beany
10-10-2006, 10:46 AM
INside the bowl right next to the accel pump?? took a ride and chopping towards the top end plugs getting black running rich finaly but with the lid on so i'm getting close i think

krt400ex
10-10-2006, 12:31 PM
INside the bowl right next to the accel pump?? took a ride and chopping towards the top end plugs getting black running rich finaly but with the lid on so i'm getting close i think

fuel screws r always on the outside. try removing the lid and see if it runs right, then it will give u an udea of how rich it is. i would go down to a 185 and see how that is, but that still seems rich.

beany
10-10-2006, 01:38 PM
I went down to a 185. First ran with the lid on- choked up at higher rpm, Then removed the lid and ran really good through all rpm range. Seems just a tad lean for my taste, btu waiting for the needle now. Figure that will get me to where I want to be. Honda part 16203-men-731. Think out of a 05 crf, different then whats on the rossier page but should be close I'm thinking.

And thanks for all your help, its relly appreciated.

krt400ex
10-10-2006, 02:03 PM
ya if it is choked up at higher rpm it is rich. ur welcome. let me know if u need more help.

beany
10-10-2006, 02:09 PM
You ever figure out where the fule screw is??? I looked and didnt see anything:confused:

krt400ex
10-10-2006, 02:26 PM
You ever figure out where the fule screw is??? I looked and didnt see anything:confused:

i'll find it....hold on

krt400ex
10-10-2006, 02:34 PM
i think it is this, but i am not sure

krt400ex
10-10-2006, 02:35 PM
oops, this is the one i meant

beany
10-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Yeah toyed with it alittle more. Slight bobble at upper rpm so I have it narrowed down to a 188 or a 190, which seems big still, but i'll wait on those till I get the cfr needle, And I think my carb is different then the one you have in the pic, because i'd feel realy stupid for not noticeing that:(

Dmtrx450r18
10-10-2006, 07:27 PM
ok since everyone talks on this one i guess will will too, i have the same problem as beany, i have a 2006 450 ER, i just got a curtis sparks full, airbox lids off, eveyrthing else is stock.
i have no iidea about anythig with carbs or jets or anything in this category lol, what size main jets or w.e. else i need to know should i get...

thanks

Dmtrx450r18
10-10-2006, 07:28 PM
oh and a uni air filter

krt400ex
10-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Yeah toyed with it alittle more. Slight bobble at upper rpm so I have it narrowed down to a 188 or a 190, which seems big still, but i'll wait on those till I get the cfr needle, And I think my carb is different then the one you have in the pic, because i'd feel realy stupid for not noticeing that:(

if it bobbles on top, then u r still running rich. i would definately lean out a bit

krt400ex
10-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Dmtrx450r18
oh and a uni air filter

go to a 170 main, and a 52 pilot and see how that works. get a CRF needle cuz they r adjustable and start in the 2nd or 3rd position. that should be ur baseline.... then u may need to mess with ur fuel screw

beany
10-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah krt400, didnt have time to play with it today waiting for the needle before i continue. The A/F needle on the '06 is on the bottom of the bowl and is d shaped so i need to get a special wrench for it. I've also read that messing with the piolt can reault in hard starting and right now it starts better then it ever has!
With the 185 main the plug looks alittle lean already??? But I will continue with this project hopefully on friday or saturday once I have more time and the crf needle

krt400ex
10-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah krt400, didnt have time to play with it today waiting for the needle before i continue. The A/F needle on the '06 is on the bottom of the bowl and is d shaped so i need to get a special wrench for it. I've also read that messing with the piolt can reault in hard starting and right now it starts better then it ever has!
With the 185 main the plug looks alittle lean already??? But I will continue with this project hopefully on friday or saturday once I have more time and the crf needle gpracer posted about reading a plug. when u read the plug u look at the ceramic on the inside of the plug. all the way down at the base of the ceramic. it is hard to see. if that is all white thenn u r running lean. after a good ride u should be able to see that the most visible meatl part of the plug is a slight brown color. that will indicte that u r right on. sry, i dunno all the special words for the parts or a plug

roundsy
10-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Dmtrx450r18
ok since everyone talks on this one i guess will will too, i have the same problem as beany, i have a 2006 450 ER, i just got a curtis sparks full, airbox lids off, eveyrthing else is stock.
i have no iidea about anythig with carbs or jets or anything in this category lol, what size main jets or w.e. else i need to know should i get...

thanks

alright i can help ya through the jetting procedure, did mine for the first time and it wasnt hard at all, i am running, no lid with a uni and the baffle pulled out of my pipe, for jetting i am running a 165 main, 55 leak, crf needle on the third clip and stock 42 pilot (was going to run a 45 pilot but read about harder starting with that bigger) anyway i check the plug after and its righto nthe money, the HRC kit starts in that area for jetting so theres probably a good start, if you have any more questions feel free to ask me

beany
10-12-2006, 03:52 PM
What does the leak jet control?? Or what part of the throttle?? 1/2 to 3/4 or what??
And where is it on the carb?

roundsy
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
im not exactly sure what the leak jet controls, but from what ive read it has to do with throttle response, and by downsizing it from a 70 stock, it eliminates that little bog when ya punch the throttle....it is located in the bottom of the float bowl, if you pull the float bowl off you will see a very small gold jet, thats your leak jet

beany
10-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Right now I'm not experiancing any bog, still alittle rich though, will work on that tomarrow maybe? To cold in michigan right now its like 30 out there:eek: , to cold in the garage