PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild

KFX400-314
10-06-2006, 02:27 PM
I have some questions regarding a total rebuild.

who has attempted a complete rebuild, including frame PC, and complete overhall.

1. is it worth the time/effort.
2. what was your motivation for the rebuild. Looks or maintenance.

I have an 04 yfz that is starting to get beat up, missing bolts, stripped mounts, etc...

What advice can you provide, what to replace while it is apart?

Thanks

-Randy

Antifaith
10-15-2006, 05:45 PM
I've started taking my entire 2001 400ex apart a couple of months ago.

I made a lot of mistakes, had bad planning and a bad work area so i regret having started this project.

If you want to go ahead and take everything apart, make sure you got all the tools you'll need. When taking apart something that you aren't sure you'll remember how to rebuild, take a picture and/or write the steps you took to disasemble it. Make sure you'll have a proper work area ( I started my project in the garage and then my stepdad put all my stuff in some corner and brought a trailer inside so i can't do anything now). If you think some parts will need to be changed, make sure you can afford to buy the new parts as well.

Stein2088
11-13-2006, 06:47 PM
FIRST get a shop manuel dont try it w.o it

as for the engine i didnt do that but she was fine

i bought a new frame but u could prob tap your stripped spots

but i almost think it'd b worth it to dump it and get a new quad... not brand new but new to u...

but if your hear is set with that quad take ur time do it right... take it all part clean everything replace with stock or upgrade where u want... where need b, it is a rewarding project

Nick

Pappy
11-13-2006, 06:52 PM
have it your way:D

Pappy
11-13-2006, 06:55 PM
tearing one down is almost mandatory with the newer quads. You would be surprised at what all you find that needs repair. Stripped bolt holes can be re threaded, cracks welded, and then everything coated to make her pretty and easier to clean.

Pappy
11-13-2006, 06:57 PM
A good shop manual will help a ton for the first timer, along with this website there is not really anything more you need.

Pappy
11-13-2006, 06:58 PM
IMO, once someone does a rebuild, they save themselves a ton of trouble in the future by KNOWING how thier quad works!

Pappy
11-13-2006, 07:02 PM
I have done so many that I have lost count, and usually the only caveat is the swing arm pivot bolt, but that too is usually not all that bad with assistance

Pappy
11-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Even if its just for clkeaning and bearing replacement, its a good idea to tear'em down. We always find things broke we never expected.

Mxjunkie
11-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Rebuild's are very rewarding when you can start from something that was junkyard worthy and actually make it something you can be proud of! :)

Mxjunkie
11-13-2006, 07:09 PM
It's allway's good to tear down a quad even when your done just to check up on stuff, I've taken mine apart and found some scary stuff before even after the rebuild lol

Worth every penny spent :D

DEAL
11-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
IMO, once someone does a rebuild, they save themselves a ton of trouble in the future by KNOWING how thier quad works!

I have to say, thats one of the best parts of a rebuild.

ShiftFMX
11-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey ken, How long does is usually rtake to get a bike down to the frame??

Pappy
11-13-2006, 08:14 PM
If the pivot bolt comes out easily, an hour or so. Then another few hours can be spent tearing down the front end, calipers, removing bearings etc. We base a full build and reassembly on 12 hours labor. thats a 100% tear down and build. Most folks never go as far as we do, but that is all on what the customer wants.

I let my brother handle most of the wrenching these days. After a day of blasting, prep work , coating , packaging, shipping and the business end of this company, I am plum wore out to do much more:p

No one should be intimidated to tackle a rebuild, there is always someone willing to help or offer assistance. I love seeing older trikes bikes and quads given new life!

jonboy
11-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Pappy, Those are some sharp quads. I couldnt have said it better. I am in the process of a rebuild now( see Project Z in the z400/Kfx section.) I have learned so much, especially from this forum and have fallen in love with what I have created, so have a lot of my friends that want to buy it when it is done. Several want to pay me to do thiers. But the reward of rebuilding it yourself are endless, from the personal touches to the performance aspect. If you take your time to do it correctly you'll be happy with the results.