PDA

View Full Version : Motor Oil?

Roman
10-06-2006, 01:30 PM
OK, I know there are some cheap bastages out there like me who use regular motor oil you 400EX.

So what brand?

What weight?

underpowered
10-06-2006, 01:38 PM
best cheap oil you can get is rotella T 15w-40. it is a high detergent oil, made for diesel engines. it is only about $8 a gallon and is actually a very good oil. that is all we run at the cycle shop i work at.

jrafter
10-06-2006, 02:25 PM
valvoline make a good atv oil thats only $3 something a Qt

rooster300ex
10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Don't use regular motor oil for a car engine. The only kind that is ok to use is that rotella 15w-40. Mobil red cap use to be safe, but they changed it and now it contains moly. I think. Not sure. I've used honda hp4 10w-40 in fall & winter and 20w-50 in spring & summer. And havne't had a problem. 20-50 in the summer around where I live for sure. Just make sure you get a motorcycle engine oil thats safe to run with wet clutches. If ya use a regular car oil your clutch will slip. It might take alil while, but it will.

underpowered
10-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by jrafter
valvoline make a good atv oil thats only $3 something a Qt

valvoline is a no no. Valvoline uses parafin in there oils, which can cause some problems.

but you can run almost any normal car oil in an ATV. it is synthetics you want to stay away from. from automotive synthetic oils have friction modifiers that will cause your clutch to slip.

jrafter
10-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
valvoline is a no no. Valvoline uses parafin in there oils, which can cause some problems.

but you can run almost any normal car oil in an ATV. it is synthetics you want to stay away from. from automotive synthetic oils have friction modifiers that will cause your clutch to slip.

Valvoline has an ATV oil made for ATVs and they sell it at autozone.

The part #VV749

quads14589
10-06-2006, 05:26 PM
i just buy the honda motor oil even tho it is a little pricey its worth it.

ImplodedMindZ
10-06-2006, 05:41 PM
I run Spectro 4, 10w-40. It says on the back "forumulated w/ high parafinic-petroleum based stocks" Underpowerd u mentioned parafin would cause problems. If my oil says contains parafin what problems would it cause.

wombatz400
10-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Working on engines for a living I must say good oil is worth its weight in gold. It should be changed often. There is no reason for it not to be. In comparison with the cost of the quad it is cheap. It's just not worth it to save a few bucks. Just my two cents.

BigMike
10-07-2006, 09:13 AM
I have been using Motorex semi-synthetic 10W-40. It seems to work real well. It's about 5 buck/quart.

Mike

Roman
10-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Working on engines for a living I must say good oil is worth its weight in gold. It should be changed often. There is no reason for it not to be. In comparison with the cost of the quad it is cheap. It's just not worth it to save a few bucks. Just my two cents.

Wombatz, I totally agree with you, but I don't think that you need to buy the most expensive oil out there, and in my opinion, clean fresh oil can't be beat. I think if you buy the cheapest oil made and change it and the filter every 10 hours you would never have an oil caused failure. I'm sure you would never have an oil caused failure putting in the most expensive synthetic either. You could probably even get away, lubrication wise, changing it much less often using synthetic, but why chance getting a big chunk of whatever stuck somewhere it doesn't belong when you could have dumped it out with that $2 dollars worth of dino oil 10 hours ago?

Underpowered, If any regular motor oil will work, then why Rotella? Is it better oil, Cheaper, or what?

I used Castrol 10W-40 in my DR 350 for 5 years with no clutch slippage or loss in compression what so ever, but if you can convince me that Rotella is a better then I'd switch. I really have no reason to use Castrol other than proven performance. 200,000 miles on my old Mazda MX6 and the afore mentioned DR350. However, if you have proven long term performance out of a cheap oil I'm all ears, or in this case, eyes I guess :)

Thanks for all the replies

Roman

quadman 05400ex
10-07-2006, 02:31 PM
wat about klots is that any good im thinking about runing that

underpowered
10-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Roman
.....Underpowered, If any regular motor oil will work, then why Rotella? Is it better oil, Cheaper, or what? ....

rotella was proven to be one of the best oils made in an independent test the mechanic at teh shop i work at attened. it is a high detergent oil so it keep the internals clean, so the firt time youuse it it will most likely turn black quickly because it is cleanin out all the grime form your engine. it is pretty cheap at only about $2 a quart, but is a very high quality oil. in fact KTM and Harley both use it from the factory.

Originally posted by ImplodedMindZ
Underpowerd u mentioned parafin would cause problems. If my oil says contains parafin what problems would it cause.

Parafin is basically wax. it will cause sludge build up in your engine, and will coat the internals with it. if you ever take apart a car motor that has run valvoline oil, the heads adn unde rthe intake are usually full of sludge from the parafin buildup. some other oils have parafin, but from what i understand valvoline is about as bad as you can get. one of my buddies used to work at a valvoline oil change place and he said he would not run valvoline in his vehichles.

ImplodedMindZ
10-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Ok i started doin a lil research on rotella and oil and read some pretty interesting stuff. I can plainly understand and see why people wouldnt wanna put oils containing pariffin in their vehicles but why do oil companies keep manufacturing their oil w/ it in there if it causes so many ill effects. And it would seem that its not that much more expensive to manufactur oil w/ low pariffin in it since rotella is so inexpensive. Just tryin to understand if there is any pro's to runnin high pariffin oil.

billawright
10-07-2006, 05:42 PM
nevermind haha.