PDA

View Full Version : TRX250X Runs hott

250fox
10-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Whats up again!
First of all I want to give thanx to all the riders who give great results on the Replys!

My name is Jeff & I have a 92' TRX250X. It starts first kick & just had a rebuild on the motor. The only problem is that it runs really hot. Is there some type of oil cooler or something to cool it down a little?

Also I am trying to upgrade my quad to make it a lil faster and handle good. Any pointers? I could just start buying parts but I would like to do them in some what good order.

Thanx.

97blaster200
10-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
check your jetting it could be to lean

(look at the color of sparkplug)

it shouldnt overheat from just riding around unless you race

also the best power upgrade would be an exhaust system. a full exhaust would be the best bet because 300cc and under 4 wheelers have pee shooter headers that dont let the exhaust flow good. HMF has a good full exhaust.Or you can go into the motor and get a high compression piston BUT you will have to run a mix of race fuel with 93 octance gas. I have a wiseco 12:1 comp piston.

you need to go back to school.........you dont HAVE to run race gas with a high comp. piston, it depends on what compression you have.

250x_kyle
10-07-2006, 10:57 PM
matt is a dumby haha um if the header glow red it may be lean . there are many factors that it could be

97blaster200
10-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
umm aftermarket 250x pistons only come in 12:1 compression. i know what im talking about i kinda have one :rolleyes:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=110&productId=p1311322&leafCatId=11007&mmyId=4903

then why does this say you can get it in standard bore? :confused:

250fox
10-09-2006, 12:19 PM
It dosent seem to be running lean, nothing is glowing red it just seems like it could run a little cooler. Exhaust would be the best upgrade to do first? Its feels like my quad has no top end. Doesnt rev very high.

I know its only a 250 Kickstart but this quad is a blast to ride. Light enough to have some fun you know. I will try to rich it out but I dont want to go too far. Its better to run it richer tho right?

250fox
10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Oh ya is it possible to put a 300ex carb on my quad without doing major customizing? Would that give it better top end and faster response time? Thanx!

250fox
10-09-2006, 12:30 PM
the 250x used to be a really good 4 wheeler but now they have 400s and 450s

Common man 250x rocks. Are you makin fun LOL

The plug seems to be good. Its kinda black but not bad.

250fox
10-09-2006, 12:35 PM
I know there basicly the same. Is the frame diff. ? I would like to put 300EX shox and carb on my quad. How did you get around the airbox tube?

wilkin250r
10-09-2006, 12:52 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that most of the owners of the smaller quads are kids. You're going to get a lot of misinformation. Just beware.

When you are reading your spark plug for your jetting, make sure you are reading it properly. Your spark plug can only show you the LAST thing that was happening inside your motor. It's entirely possible to be rich at idle, but lean at wide-open-throttle (WOT). If that is the case, and you put-put into your garage at idle and pull the plug to check it, it will always be black. Always, because the last thing the spark plug saw was idle. In order to check your jetting at WOT, you need to do a proper plug chop. Do a search in the Powertrain forum and find the proper procedure.

Nothing on the 300EX will give you an upgrade. Not the carb, not the shocks, nothing. They are pretty much all the same, the only way you'll get an improvement is if your equipment is broken and the new stuff isn't.