PDA

View Full Version : looking for power w/o a pipe

sunco
10-06-2006, 04:49 AM
I'm talking about a stock 04' 450R.I called sparks the exhaust is 101 db . Put the mid range on its 98db. Put the QC on its less. I don't want to be loud so it seems to me you can't have one w/o the other. Why pay over $500 for a performance part only to choke it w/ the QC end cap?What if I just bought the HRC kit? Or just put an HRC end cap on ? What about a 13 tooth sprocket. Going to Breezewood next week. Would like to have my quad ready by then. I'd get my stuff from East Coast ATV - their only an hour away. Plus I think they'd have what I need. Thanx for any comments.

krt400ex
10-06-2006, 09:45 AM
u r going to gain more performance even with the quiet core. that is the best route for quiet power. the hrc endcap will be just as loud as any aftermarket pipe. the pipe is the best way to go, and then u could get into cams and pistons and stuff

2muchquad
10-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Well thats how it is for now with high po 4 strokes.There is no free lunch,All aftermarket exhaust will be louder than stock,especially with the airbox lid removed.How quiet do you have to be?I tried a yoshi and with my quiet insert,it choked the motor too bad,its like it didnt want to rev out,it was quiet though.good for riding around the house at 2 in the morning :D

sunco
10-06-2006, 08:51 PM
We ride locally & it would be great if no one knew we were out there. No level I have to be at. I would get a curtis sparks pipe. x-6 is 101 db , mid tip is 98 & QC is 96 db. I got that from sparks when I called them. They said you had to jet for the end cap for the one your using. You can't just say get the x-6 jet it for that pipe & then when you want to ride the trails ( or the 2am ride) just change the end cap to the QC. The jetting wouldn't jive & so its a hassle to decide. I wish you could hear the sounds that each pipe/end cap makes. but they don't do that, all you can do is pay the $ & hope it works out. Or your friend having a pipe on his/her quad.

1fst400
10-06-2006, 09:13 PM
a sparks big core system makes your bones rattle.

I would rather a quiet exhaust myself, but it seems loud=power. I picked power...

They should be able to make a way quiet exhaust that is light weight and powerfull as a free flowing system. I mean come on, they can put a man on the moon. This should be easy!

sunco
10-07-2006, 06:22 AM
I thought they only made the x-6 exhaust & then pick your end cap. Then you jet according to what you picked?

2muchquad
10-07-2006, 07:58 PM
You wont have to rejet allthe time,as long as you have your jetting richened for the open end cap you'll be fine if you decide to run the smaller endcap because it will cause the motor to run richer which is better than leaner.I did this on my e series,sometimes i ran it open or with a few disc stalled on my yz426,i didnt have to keep jumping back and forth with jetting;)

sunco
10-07-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm gettin the x-6 pipe (101db) rejet. K&N w/ outwater. Carb cleaned. New brake pads. Oil/filter changed. Front hubs cleaned/lubed. Ready for the track when I get it back. Pick it up Tuesday.