PDA

View Full Version : 400ex-450r hybrid handling...

1fst400
10-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Hello, I have a 400ex with a 450r Motor slaped in there. More or less its the same as the crf motor as far as where it mounts up and where the weight is in the chassis. so you crf conversion guys should be able to help me.

My problem is the quad seems to want to push in the corners alot. I turn the bars and I keep going straight, alot more than with the 400 motor.

My curent chassis set up is, +2 a-arms, +1 swing arm, +4 axle, 4:1 ofset wheels, stock rebuilt rear shock (zps), pep 21 click front shocks ( also zps).

I thot the problem was that my front tires where bald, but I bought brandy new holeshot mx tires. and they helped, but it still pushes more than I would like.

Have any of you crf guys had this issue? and what did you do about it?

ss440ex
10-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Try adjusting the ride hieght and or tire pressures.
With you sitting on the quad is the lower frame rail level with your set tire pressures?
Try lowering the front a bit.
Keeping note of your changes.
Good luck.

rustee
10-12-2006, 06:29 PM
1fst400

do you have a sway bar on the front? we have a 450r hybrid and have run the extreme tt series this year and have done very well we finished 5th in points with 5 out of 8 races if only we made the other 3. but anyway we do not have this problem our problem is the opp. we get to much traction in the corners we were finaly able to adjuste it out with the sway bar and softining the shocks up. now it is like on rails thru the corners. just a thought. rustee

Toadz400
10-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Try going back to the stock swingarm length and getting some +2+1 a-arms. This should help bring the center of gravity to the rear more, which will also help you get more traction.

PismoLocal
10-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Try adjusting your rear ride height so that the back sits a little higher.

Tri-valleyracin
10-17-2006, 02:23 PM
if ur rear end is wider than ur front end ur goin to have problems with pushing. i did on my dad z400 and we put custom spacers and fliped the front rims and its wider than the rear now and it dosnt push. put the stock axle in it if u have it and see what id do's. look in to a offset 3:1 front rim to help get it wider.

Tri-valleyracin
10-17-2006, 02:24 PM

1fst400
10-17-2006, 06:17 PM
I have some +3 a-arms to replace My +2. I will see how that works.

I raced at the track where that pic was taken. Was a nice little track, but the wups where killer.

Tri-valleyracin
10-17-2006, 08:03 PM
they changed the whole track and have a better woop section and better jumps.

Toadz400
10-17-2006, 09:13 PM
It won't make much of a difference going from +2 to +3 with your push problem, getting arms that are +1 foward will help center the weight and thus get rid of the pushing problem. Getting a shorter swingarm will also help with this problem. If you race MX you'll want to get a shorter swingarm or go back to stock length anyway.

1fst400
10-18-2006, 06:28 AM
I cant see how +1 foward would make things better. if anything it would put less weight on the front tires and make things worse.

bradley300
10-18-2006, 06:57 AM
if his a-arms are not foward, he needs a stock length swingarm

1fst400
10-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Stock length swing arm sucks balls. I had one and am not going back. Wheelies are uncontrolible.

Toadz400
10-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
I cant see how +1 foward would make things better. if anything it would put less weight on the front tires and make things worse.

Moves the weight of the engine back farther, thus less push on the front end. Getting a shorter swingarm will also accomplish this.

If you don't want to take our advice then it sounds like you're stuck with your problem.

1fst400
10-19-2006, 05:22 AM
moving the front tires 1 inch foward will put less weight on them because they will then be further from the motor.:rolleyes:

I would love to take your advice if it was corect.

10-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Could it just be that your quad is puching more since you have so more power now?

My quad i notaced pushes less in the turns when my rear is a little higher.

Toadz400
10-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
moving the front tires 1 inch foward will put less weight on them because they will then be further from the motor.:rolleyes:

I would love to take your advice if it was corect.

What are you talking about? My advice was correct. You just reworded it, way to go, want a cookie?

jonboy
10-20-2006, 02:56 AM
Putting your front more forward will move the center of gravity and will lessen the weight needed on the front tires for them to grip. If you go to the stock length swinger it will move the weight a little more to the front. That will put the weight of the bike on the front tires to get the grip they need in the turns. Lowering your ride hieght will also help keep you footed in the corners. If you still dont want to do this then revalve your suspension compession to help snug it up on the turns.

Toadz400
10-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by jonboy
If you go to the stock length swinger it will move the weight a little more to the front. That will put the weight of the bike on the front tires to get the grip they need in the turns.

If he goes to the stock length swingarm it will move the center of gravity farther back, taking weight off the front wheels. This is why people who do drag racing have longer swingarms so their front ends don't come up, they lose traction with a longer swingarm but if your front end is up you're not going to get the fastest time.