PDA

View Full Version : What's the best process of upgrades?

josh400EX05
10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey, I have a stock 05 400ex and i'm interested in do some upgrades for MX racing. What would be the best order of stuff to get? I think I am going to order nerf bars next, but where from there? Also i'm really new to MX and I don't really understand the point of getting +2 a-arms and what not? Thanks for the input!

Franky G
10-06-2006, 05:21 AM
For upgrades takle the suspension first its a must for MX racing get good set of triple rate shocks a set of +2 Arms and a +4 axle small 18" tires for the back nerf bars for protection a good belly skid plate and the list goes on but that the basic stuff to get started

10-06-2006, 06:03 AM
To be allowed to race MX yer gonna be REQUIRED to get nerfs and a tether kill switch.

The first mods after that are gonna be suspension mods. +2 a-arms, race front shocks and a wider back axle will all be necessary to be competetive.

They give the quad better stability in the turns, which is where races are won or lost.

Also, get tires designed for MX.

After that, get into the motor.

Actually the first "mod" may be getting into the bank - for a loan. This stuff ain't cheap.

:devil:

04TRX400EX
10-06-2006, 02:20 PM
As others have said, to be fast at MX you have to have a good suspension setup. Ideally you will want to put some +2" a-arms in front with a +4" axle in the rear along with some aftermarket shocks setup for your weight and MX-style riding.

After you have the suspension platform, you can start getting into the engine. Exhaust and air filter with proper jetting is a starting point to help the engine breathe a little easier. Beyond that you get into cam mods and engine bores.

Besides engine and suspension, I would definitely recommend some stronger skidplates, nerf bars, kill switch, and MX tires.

BTW, as he ^^^ said, hopefully you have some disposable income available because this stuff is not cheap.