PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Ball Joint problem...

Blstr88
10-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey guys, I brought my 400ex in today for a simple changing of the bearings and they called me back, told me I need new ball joints in the front left.

When I got there he showed me and there was quite a bit of play. He told me not to ride it at all though until it gets fixed.

Is this something I should definitely get fixed before I go riding? He seemed to think it was very dangerous and I better not ride it, but just wondering what you guys think. Thanks guys.

Unverfehrt400ex
10-05-2006, 06:20 PM
I rode on my for about 6 months. It shouldnt hurt anything. But you'll want to get it fixed sometime fairly soon. As far as i know theres no way of replacing them in stock a-arms. I had to buy new arms. But yeh a few rides isnt gona hurt anything.

johnsls
10-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Well if they do go while your riding,,,, GOOD LUCK,, if your turning your f'd

Thats what I've been told on here!

And if you need I can sell you what you need, but its not why I'm replying.. but just giving you the offer.

jrm03
10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm in the same situation you are. My left front has a bit of play in it, however, I have been riding it like that for the past six months. I'm sure there are numerous safety issues, but replacing them is also an expensive issue (aftermarket arms) Ride it

Rancher2005
10-05-2006, 09:34 PM
i personally don't like the idea of riding an atv at 30+ mph and having the wheel fall off. if that sounds like a good time to you go ahead and ride. If there is that much play that you could see, it's a good idea not to ride until you fix them. IMO

Blstr88
10-06-2006, 04:30 AM
Johnsls, just wondering what you're looking to get for the A-arms...I just need the upper and lower right, let me know. Thanks

F-16Guy
10-06-2006, 09:19 AM
The stock a-arms for a 400ex are cheap. Go to the Service Honda website and check it out. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, at least print out Service Honda's prices and make the dealer match them. If you don't, they'll charge you list price, which will be MUCH higher! It's a fairly simple job, so you may even consider doing it yourself if you have some basic tools and mechanical aptitude.

10-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Imagine blowing down a tight woods trail, or landing from a 25' double jump.

Then imagine your right wheel leaves your quad because the ball joint broke.

Now imagine the pointy end of your a-arm digs into the sod.

Lastly imagine yourself hurtling thru the air trying to decide which tree to hit with your body, or whether breaking your arm or your neck is preferrable.

I would imagine getting this fixed before riding again would be a good idea.

But then, I have quite an imagination, I've been told.

DieselBoy
10-06-2006, 10:11 AM
if ya jump i wouldnt do ride on shot balljoints.... you will get owned.....

johnsls
10-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Blstr88
I pm'd u.

Since he is interested in the right side I'll need to sell the left.

I'm not sure what to charge (the boots are cracked but they joints are all good) I had a couple people look at them and they said I should've kept using them. Too late I already bought replacements.

Soooooooo,,, I have the left and right 4 sale.
I think shipping would be about $10 - $15 plus I'd like $40 per side.

LMK if this is a decent price. :confused:

You can pay me via paypal but add 3% for the trasaction fees.

Again LMK