PDA

View Full Version : sometimes it starts sometimes it don't

viper94bite
10-05-2006, 04:34 PM
ok wtf. My 400ex has run fine all year up thru the last time I put it away. It sat for about a month. I checked the valves cleaned the carb. I've run it every day this wk since I got it to run again. It started good yesterday, but today it started for a bit then died and I cant' get it to start anymore. Any ideas I'm so confused and getting really pissed. Suppose to take it to the farm and play with it this wkend, but I want to make sure its going to start for us. any ideas?

viper94bite
10-05-2006, 04:47 PM
ok nevermind i'm a dumbass. I replaced the spark plug rather then just cleaning it off this time and she fired right up.

400eXr1d3rZ
10-05-2006, 05:54 PM
We all have our days :blah:

viper94bite
10-05-2006, 07:51 PM
its unfortunate though that we tend to piss ourselves off so badly untill we realize how dumb were being:)

Woodrowbt
10-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by viper94bite
its unfortunate though that we tend to piss ourselves off so badly untill we realize how dumb were being:)

i've pissed myself off so bad before on the stupidest things.

Like, drinking a bit one night and for like 30 minutes i was trying to get my bike started.....but it wouldn't start.....then my buddy turns the gas on and laughs his *** off at me!

Then one day long time ago i stalled my bike on a hill and it started rolling backwards down it into a pond.....tried to crank it forever while standing deep in the pond....i almost gave up and left it in there......until i realized some how i turned off the kill switch when i was rolling backwards.(the bike didn't have brakes lol)

great moments

viper94bite
10-06-2006, 11:38 AM
lmao. i've done the one with the gas valve before.

ImplodedMindZ
10-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I pulled a dumb@ss move yesterday. Got my bike back from the shop and they drove it up in my truck 4 me. Well i hardly ever turn it off w/ the kill switch always the key, and they used the kill switch. Tried for about an hour or more to figure out what was wrong after i got home and it wouldnt start, pulled plug no spark and so on. then it finally hit me. stupid kill switch was off.

viper94bite
10-06-2006, 12:39 PM
I do that on my motorcycle almost every time I park on a hill. I put it in gear and hit the kill swith. Then it doesn't roll backwards. But I always use the key when I turn it off and then it doesn't start for me. usually I remember after the 1st or 2nd try, but you still feel stupid.

jeep4by4
10-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by viper94bite
I do that on my motorcycle almost every time I park on a hill. I put it in gear and hit the kill swith. Then it doesn't roll backwards. But I always use the key when I turn it off and then it doesn't start for me. usually I remember after the 1st or 2nd try, but you still feel stupid.

I used to really feel like a dumb@$$ when I'd use the steering lock on my street bike, then forget to unlock it before firing it up. You get the bike fired up, go to pull away and the bars don't turn. so then you have to turn it back off, unlock the bars, then fire it back up. makes you look really stupid.

onesexyrider609
10-07-2006, 11:53 AM
The other day I had a dur-de-dur move. This was the first summer I've had my 400. So, now its fall, the nights and mornings are cold. I come home from school and go to start it and it won't crank. So, I put on the choke to try and start it. Well, choke doesn't work all too well on my quad, anybody else have this problem? Ok, any, it still won't start so I get worried, rip off my air filter, carb, and air box and clean everything. New sparkplug. Gas was on. One problem I realized though after I did all the work, tank was bone dry.:(

400eXr1d3rZ
10-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by onesexyrider609
The other day I had a dur-de-dur move. This was the first summer I've had my 400. So, now its fall, the nights and mornings are cold. I come home from school and go to start it and it won't crank. So, I put on the choke to try and start it. Well, choke doesn't work all too well on my quad, anybody else have this problem? Ok, any, it still won't start so I get worried, rip off my air filter, carb, and air box and clean everything. New sparkplug. Gas was on. One problem I realized though after I did all the work, tank was bone dry.:(

Thats what happened to me, I drained my battery COMPLETELY trying to start it to find i never had any gas :blah: . Happened more than once. Then the killswtich problem happen haha.

onesexyrider609
10-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Same here, my battery drained out on me. And on top of that, I got worried that it was flooded too. I'm very surprised though, the battery charged right up and its over 3 years old and cranked like it did the day I got it.

400eXr1d3rZ
10-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Mine's stock from late 2001 :eek2: , everytime my quad floods i just drain the float with the float drain screw. Then it starts right up. (turn gas off while doing it)

onesexyrider609
10-07-2006, 01:50 PM
This sounds like a nice little piece of info. I just did a little search on it and I couldn't find a good picture. Do you have one of it or would you be able to describe it? It seems good to know for winter and dead batteries.

400eXr1d3rZ
10-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Sure I can go take one. With the choke lever OFF, its right next to the END of the hand (part you pick up). Theres a screw that you put a flat head screwdriver into, keep turning and it comes out. Make sure your gas is turned off.

400eXr1d3rZ
10-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Here: (click thumbnail)

http://www.imagebeaver.com/files/images/thumb/8834071006PA070011.JPG (http://www.imagebeaver.com/view.php?mode=gallery&g=68879&photo=1) http://www.imagebeaver.com/files/images/thumb/9806071006PA070016.JPG (http://www.imagebeaver.com/view.php?mode=gallery&g=68879&photo=2) http://www.imagebeaver.com/files/images/thumb/5507071006PA070018.JPG (http://www.imagebeaver.com/view.php?mode=gallery&g=68879&photo=3)