PDA

View Full Version : how do you know if ur Stator is going out.

trx450rider11
10-05-2006, 02:16 PM
How do you know if ur stator is going out.

underpowered
10-05-2006, 02:38 PM
battery not charging, weak spark, not running right. the only real way to check is with a volt meter. your stator going out and rectifier goin out will give you similar symptoms. use a volt meter to see if the proper amount of volts are getting out of the stator into the regulator.

trx450rider11
10-05-2006, 09:32 PM
lately my bike has been running bad. when its cold it starts up and then after awhile when its hot it spits and sputters then dies. i checked wires, plug, carb. and it still does it.

wilkin250r
10-06-2006, 12:16 AM
The stator is a pretty simple mechanism. It's basically made up of a metal frame with posts, and wires wrapped around those posts a few hundred times.

So how many things can really go wrong with it?

Well, the metal frame could break. But honestly, that's REALLY unlikely. It's not moving, it's not under stress, it doesn't have any load on it. Really, the only way it could break is if something else when wrong, like the mounting bolts backed out. But you would know that, because it would be scraping, rattling, and making god-awful noise.

One of the coils of wire could break. A simple resistance test would tell you that.

Aside from breaking, the wires could melt together. But if either it broke (open-circuit) or it melted together (short-circuit), it wouldn't work at ALL. It wouldn't work some of the time.

Your CDI, however, can indeed have those problems. It's a funny little mechanism, it can work some times and not other times. And, unfortunately, there's no way to "test" it with standard electronic equipment (like a multi-meter). The only way to test it is to swap it out.

2muchquad
10-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Yeah usually when something runs fine until it warms up,its almost always electrical,not always but usually.I have seen the cdi unit go bad but i would swap out the coil first.Make sure the sparkplug cap is in good shape.It sounds academic but i have seen them cause the motor to not rev out and pop and backfire.If you swap coils and it still does it i would try a cdi next.If not that then try the pickup coil or pulsar coil.

400excaleb
10-09-2006, 10:09 AM
mine was spitting and sputtering like that and how i found out if it was the stator i put one off another 4wheeler on mine, and it fixed the problem.

trx450rider11
10-09-2006, 01:42 PM
i adjusted my clip on the needle and now it runs fine.