PDA

View Full Version : Cut to it, THE BEST SHOCKS ARE???

FatBoy Redrider
10-15-2001, 10:56 AM
I have been reading a bunch of threads about shocks. Lets cut the crap. What is the best shock for harescrambles and what is the best shock for MX. I will be buying new shocks this winter and have no idea what to get. Works has the best price but it makes me wonder. Why are Elka, TCS, PEP, Axis so much more. So what is the best shock for harscramble racing? I must mention that I'm a fat body so that may make a difference. Just to give you and idea my buddy and I who ride 400s are both 6'4" and 280lbs.

barbwire44
10-15-2001, 11:10 AM
you guys might wanna think about leaf springs, Maybe some off of 78 3/4 ton chevy there pretty good and reliable and should be readily available at most junk yards.

FatBoy Redrider
10-15-2001, 11:14 AM
I knew that would be coming. Lets put it this way. you wouldn't want to ride against us or meet us in a dark alley. Fat Boys kick ***.

10-15-2001, 11:25 AM
Hey I see you got yourself a powerbong too,,,,,rock on..

Well with shocks you can't go wrong with any aftermarket company,,OK. The ride of your bike will change dramatically. The main thing is how much you wanna spend. Custom Axis are the best out there,,hands down,,but they are also the most expensive. I run works triple rate AT steelers w/rezzy,,,and they work like a champ for me and my riding style,,MX racer. I consider myself a good rider and aggressive rider,,,and push a 400ex to it's limits,,bent handlebars just from landing off of jumps,,not wrecking just fat behind the bars. I weigh about 215 suited up in my riding gear,,,so I'm considered part of the fatboy racing crew myself. they cost me 500 bucks and have not given me one problem, at all. Go out to shocconnection.com and read up on their frequently asked shock questions,,,maybe it can answer some more ?????? you have,,,,Pro's run axis and PEP,,,,your wallet is almost the decision maker in purchasing a good set of shocks.

barbwire44
10-15-2001, 11:27 AM
hey come on fat boy i was just tryin to help ya out save ya a few bucks on shocks..hell i was always told to stay pretty open minded it might not be that bad an idea. attachin them u-bolts would be the hardest part but im sure somebody on here could give ya a few tips.:devil

FatBoy Redrider
10-15-2001, 12:06 PM
You are right. maybe that will be the new generation of atv shocks.

JabberJaw
10-15-2001, 01:18 PM
you guys might wanna think about leaf springs

hahahahahhahahahahahah

I gotta get me some of those!

FatBoy Redrider
10-15-2001, 01:20 PM
Fay Boys unite!!!!!

JabberJaw
10-15-2001, 01:22 PM
I hope they have overhead lighting.....

Dave400ex
10-15-2001, 07:18 PM
Axis shocks are the best ones made.

10-16-2001, 11:01 PM
I've met a 400 with TCS, he liked them, I didn't ride them, rode a quad with PEPs, and I thought they sucked, but weren't the top of the line. I've seen guys with works, but only when I'm passin them, lol! I have custom axis and I think they are one of the best shocks on the market! (I'd say there THE best, but I never rode Elkas or Ohlins). I've heard a lot of people that are happy with TCS, but they kind of go against custom axis's logic with their "sag" technology, zero pre-load. Custom Axis also has ties with Penske Racing, not sure if Penske started them or what?, but the shocks are just unbelievable! But if you weigh 280+ lbs, I would suggest truck racing, lol, just kidding, any shock you buy should be tailored to your weight/riding conditions, and any shock will perform better then the stockers, except works!just kidding. Really depends how serious you are about riding.

trx400ex
10-17-2001, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by FatBoy Redrider
I have been reading a bunch of threads about shocks. Lets cut the crap. What is the best shock for harescrambles and what is the best shock for MX. I will be buying new shocks this winter and have no idea what to get. Works has the best price but it makes me wonder. Why are Elka, TCS, PEP, Axis so much more. So what is the best shock for harscramble racing? I must mention that I'm a fat body so that may make a difference. Just to give you and idea my buddy and I who ride 400s are both 6'4" and 280lbs.

stock

10-19-2001, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by FatBoy Redrider
You are right. maybe that will be the new generation of atv shocks.

sorry but polaris already has leaf spring shocks

FatBoy Redrider
10-19-2001, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by my400ex

sorry but polaris already has leaf spring shocks

good for polaris.

10-21-2001, 04:19 PM
hey fatboy redrider we own a salvage yard and could hook you up with a set of leaf springs for about 50 bux...lol just kiddin..i'd reccommend you go with elka's or custom axis if you are really serious...but if you just go out blazin once in a while works aren't bad thats what is on my bike now and they are ok but i've ridden better....hope this helps

RideRed04
10-21-2001, 06:32 PM
What is polaris putting leaf springs on? (besides their old snowmobiles... those where the days!)

400exRacerX
10-21-2001, 08:29 PM
i think works shocks are the best bang for your buck.

FatBoy Redrider
10-22-2001, 05:09 PM
Well after all of this, I bought a set of Works triple rate pro series with piggy backs. I basically bought them because I found a guy who was selling them for 550.00. THey are brand new. I may need to have them revalved. Any ideas how much Works charges to have them revalved? I didn't think I could pass up the deal when they go for 899.00. I think they have chrome bodies and springs too, which is a few extra bucks. I can't wait to get them and try them out.