PDA

View Full Version : Need advise from experienced mx racer

mxracer
10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I have a 06 yfz with Pep suspension all around. I raced the Yfz the last two season. I am level A racer. I am thinking of switching for a 450r for the next season because I want to change dealer(better price,service,stronger motor...) but I'm not sure if the honda can handle as good as my yfz does...the rear shocks is so short...

I need advice from experienced racer who have tried both (fully modded for mx ) I know that I will have a stronger motor if I swith to honda but don't know about the rest...

What are the advantage and disavantage

Thanks

10-05-2006, 10:40 AM
yfz450 v.s 450r with = mods the yfz will be better for mx. The yfz is prooven to make more hp and is more stable.
But if your a good racer you could easly when on any 450.

pudamac12
10-05-2006, 04:33 PM
actually if you call a shock builder many will tell you that the 450r takes to a long travel setup a lot better and ends up being a lot plusher. With the right rear linkage and shock setup the 450r rear becomes quite good and even my buddy who raced a yfz the last two years prefers my 450r to his yfz

atva_63
10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Slow
I am not sure where you get you info. And I am not calling you a lier, but the 450r will give greater hp gains and once it has the hp it is more reliable. I am talking about pro built not your average pipe and jets. I am a a-level racer and ride a yfz I believe theybhave great hp and handle very well. I do not have any plans on getting a 450r, I think my yamaha will do what I want it to

CannondaleRider
10-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by slow
yfz450 v.s 450r with = mods the yfz will be better for mx. The yfz is prooven to make more hp and is more stable.

"Slow" down on the magazine reading a bit.....

Both have the ability to make a lot of power, and both have the ability to handle extremely well..Just because a shock is shorter then another means nothing...many different ratios, and geometries is what matters, You can have the same or more amount of travel for a smaller shock, if the linkage/ratios allow it....It all must be set up right though.

I believe a Honda motor would be more reliable, based on what I've seen at races....it's USUALLY a Yamaha being towed in.

Hondas are on top a lot....In WORCS, many of the top Pros are all on Hondas

I think what you would need to worry about more, is what the bike FEELS like. A Honda fits me more then a Yamaha because I am taller, the YFZ feels EXTREMELY cramped, and the Honda feels...not so cramped(in stock trim).....may be completely opposite for you though. Only you can decide that. AND, don't base comfort completely off of stock form, a 450R in stock trim feels kinda ***** to me, but a teammate of mine(WORCS Pro #609) has a 450R that feels PERFECT for me....many factors

Phills450r
10-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Honda > Yamaha

you will be happy that you switched :)

oh and slow, where did you find out that the yamaha makes more power then the honda... lol

10-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by slow

"when" ????

I think he wants to "win" ....not "when"

You can "when" on a Yamaha, but you can "win" on a Honda.

:devil: :devil: :devil:

mxracer
10-06-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm not very concerned about the shock lenght I know that it have as much travel.

But I know for sure that at 50hp the honda is more reliable.I have a lot of friends who had troubl;e this year with their yfz and no one with honda.

I am more concerned with the handling...but I will try one this week end