PDA

View Full Version : What mods first

jkkj
10-05-2006, 10:18 AM
I have just gotten a 89 250r. It is stock with a pipe. (Paul Turner trx Type 6) I am only trail riding this thing for now. It runs excellent now, but I want more reliable power out of it. I ride with a guy on a banshee that is pushing about mid to high 50s on the horsepower scale, and when I told him I bought an R he started talking about a set of cubs.

I am seeing some poeple say the factory carb is to small. Any suggestions?

What are the best all around reeds out there?

What's it gonna take to deal with this Shee?

Aughtx
10-05-2006, 11:54 AM
I think you are on the right track. A good set of reeds like V-force and a carb like the Keihn 38mm Air Stryker are a good addition. Maybe then switch to a cool head dome for added tunability. You can also add the CR250 ignition but you will lose your lights. After that you will need to start modifying the engine itself.

10-05-2006, 12:52 PM
carband a air filter and remove lid.

86 Quad R
10-05-2006, 01:31 PM
since your trail riding i'd suggest that you

1 install a 35 a/s
2 a rad valve with fiberglass reeds >no carbon fiber
3 a cr head gasket
4 no air lid
5 have a knowledgable builder do a port cleanup and widen the exhaust ports and float em out to the collector

Aughtx
10-05-2006, 09:26 PM
I wanted to look into the Paul tuner Pipe some more to see if the Type 6 was good for your riding style. PT has always made a great pipe and the Type 6 seems to be a fit for your riding style. There are newer pipes that might give you some gain but I doubt it will be worth the $$/gain. Here is some info on the PT pipes.

http://www.atvworld.com/racing(duncan3)2stokepipes.htm

http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2001/102901_250r_dyno_charts.htm

The second link was provided by CorvetteZ06 a couple of days ago on this thread http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=256731

bigbadbubba
10-07-2006, 07:02 PM
v force reeds and reed cage
cool head
35mm a/s carb
ported
milled head
pwr rad
a stroker

those would make a bad ***** motor

TheFontMaster
10-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I would go with a 39 PWK carb. You will probably loose some bottom end, but gain good on the mid-top. And if you ever step up to a big bore you got a carb that will work great with it. Then a cool head is a good mod. A 21cc dome is the smallest you can go without haveing to run race gas. A good port and polish is a must on any 2 stroke, and it really wakes up the 250rs. V-force reeds, and reed cage.

deathman53
10-09-2006, 05:34 PM
dumb question, maybe you should work on the chassis first. Front and rear shocks(if you have stock ones), or atleast rebuild yours, how are the bearings on the chassis? Is the chassis holding your motor back? You only can go as fast as your chassis will allow, worn shocks, bad bearings and worn bushings will cause the handling to really go down hill.

robyone
10-09-2006, 07:07 PM
^^^ I'm with deathman, suspension first. You can't build a fast motor for a slow chassis...It's a good way to get hurt.

deathman53
10-09-2006, 07:37 PM
When I built my atc250r and atc200x, first work was to the chassis, leaving the motors near stock, then the motors got worked. The 88 250r I'm building, right from the start its getting a real good chassis setup along with a good motor, Too many people take a near stock chassis and put in a hot motor, then complain about how there bike isn't fast enough. The chassis needs to match the motor.
If you can believe this, a few years ago at the race in e-town, there was a guy with a roll lobo 2 chassis setup and a near stock motor, he only had a fmf pipe. He won the 250a class, and other classes. You want the chassis to be far better over the motor, so it can handle almost anything you put in it. why do you think a 250r was perfered over a tecate 4 and lt250r, those motors would walk all over the 250r, but the 250r had the handling to beat a worked lt or tecate on a near stock 250r.

rebelbanshee
10-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I would get rid of the type 6 pipe. They make crazy low end, but have NO top end. Unless you are the worst rider in the world or ride in super technical trails I get a Midrange pipe for it. The 38mm Airstriker is a really sweet carb too, not sure how it does on unported jugs though

deathman53
10-09-2006, 08:10 PM
I had a 38 a/s, atc5 pipe, v-force reeds on a stock jug, it performed real good. With the fmf pipe it made crazy low end, not alot of top end.

juanki
10-12-2006, 07:00 PM
the first thing to get its a steering stabilizer (?), and any good suspension, if you can get a +2 arms even better. you can ride better with this things than an engine.

i havnt touch mi engine yet, well it has the #2 cut on it new rings and such, but i got all the suspension and controls that i could get, then a freind of mine, blew his engine, he sent it to trinity for a port jog and a 310 resize, but left all stock. great engine but coudnt handle it, we are about the same type of riders, always beat him at the track.

go with suspension and then engine.