PDA

View Full Version : 450r shocks on 400ex

thunderisland
10-05-2006, 08:08 AM
I realize this has been debated and hashed over before but if you could please indulge me.Bought my son a 400ex I have been told the 450r front shocks or 450yfz will work with some modifications.My question is will it mess the geometry up some say it will just want to be sure before I purchase a pair ,thanks

zrpilot
10-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Yes they will screw up the geometry if left as stock, however if you have them 400EX re-built then they are an inexpensive upgrade. And at that price you get a set of used Elkas or econo elkas.

good luck

thunderisland
10-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the reply anyone else have an opinion on the subject.Yes it does have stock a-arms.

10-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Work perfect for me. Shocks were not rebuilt.

10-05-2006, 09:34 AM
I got 450R shocks for $200 to put on my 400EX.

I'm getting them re-valved and re-sprung for my weight and ride style. Another $400

R shocks are about 7/8" longer than EX shocks. That will raise your front end slightly.

Enuf to matter? That's a matter of perspective.

I

10-05-2006, 09:44 AM
If you want good cheep shocks get the 450r or >YFZ<. If you plan on getting them rebuilt dont get them. The shocks plus a rebuild is like $300-$500 total. You can get a good set of used race shocks made for the 400ex for that price

10-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by slow
If you want good cheep shocks get the 450r or >YFZ<. If you plan on getting them rebuilt dont get them. The shocks plus a rebuild is like $300-$500 total. You can get a good set of used race shocks made for the 400ex for that price

Not set up for your weight, tho.

And used shocks are used.

Rebuilt shocks are like new.

HB416EX
10-05-2006, 10:14 AM
I got my 450R shocks for free.I had YFZ on that I also got free.On stock A arms I like the YFZ better.IMO just buy aftermarket shocks.I am lucky that I got both sets for free otherwise I would have been disappointed if I paid for them.

10-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by HB416EX
I got my 450R shocks for free.I had YFZ on that I also got free.On stock A arms I like the YFZ better.IMO just buy aftermarket shocks.I am lucky that I got both sets for free otherwise I would have been disappointed if I paid for them.

Are you selling any of them shocks?

zrpilot
10-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Work perfect for me. Shocks were not rebuilt.

My comment about screwing up your geometry IS a matter of prespective.

I think that the compressed length is JUST to long, when in the stock form. If you reduce the preload to get the ride height front to rear correct, you could suffer alot of bottoming. You will have to dial in alot of compression dampening, which could give you a harsh ride. If you leave the preload where it needs to be for bottoming resistance, the quad stands up to high in the front.

I have 450R shocks on my 400EX that have re-built to 400EX specs and they work awesome! Would I do it again? Probably not, I'd spend the $600 (250 for the shocks plus $350 to have them re-built) on Elka Rec series or a good used pair of Elkas, PEP, or TCS.

Just my .02

10-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
My comment about screwing up your geometry IS a matter of prespective.

I think that the compressed length is JUST to long, when in the stock form. If you reduce the preload to get the ride height front to rear correct, you could suffer alot of bottoming. You will have to dial in alot of compression dampening, which could give you a harsh ride. If you leave the preload where it needs to be for bottoming resistance, the quad stands up to high in the front.

If your talking about the yfz shocks thats not true. The shocks get dun compressing about a half inch b4 the ball joints go to their limit. My quad sat at 7" of ground clearance with yfz shocks and i was hitting this jump. with out bottoming. If i did bottom it was stil a soft landing and their was some marks from the frame scraping on the landing but nothing bad.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/4wheeler117.jpg

10-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot

I have 450R shocks on my 400EX that have re-built to 400EX specs and they work awesome! Would I do it again? Probably not, I'd spend the $600 (250 for the shocks plus $350 to have them re-built) on Elka Rec series or a good used pair of Elkas, PEP, or TCS.

Just my .02

If they work awesome, why would you not do it again?

DO you really think used Elkas, etc would be better?

10-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by garandman

DO you really think used Elkas, etc would be better?

For jumping they are. They are stiffer than aftermarket shocks and come valved for +2 A-arms for factory

10-05-2006, 12:51 PM
For jumping they are. They are stiffer than aftermarket shocks and come valved for +2 A-arms for factory

But GT Thunder re-valves them for whatever your set up is (a-arms, ride style, etc) , and re-springs them as well.

You MIGHT get used Elkas for $600 (the same money) but that's used equipment and chances are they won't be for your ride weight anyway.

And new Elkas are over a grand.

I don't beleive rec Elkas come with reservoirs.

I still think you come out ahead with rebuilt 450R's that are essentially brand new shocks, re-valved for your a-arms, resprung for your weight and ride style, with reservoirs, for over $400 less than Elkas.

What am I missing?

PismoLocal
10-05-2006, 01:19 PM
I used to be one of those kids that would get on this site and say that 450r shocks are great shocks for a 400ex. They aren't that great though. I had stock 450r shocks on ASR +2 arms about a year ago. After switching to Axis front shocks I realized how dumb I was for recommending 450r shocks to people. If your going to spend $200 on 450r shocks why not just save up a little more and get aftermarket. My axis are probably around 1 million times better than my old 450r shocks. If you get a good deal on 450r shocks they might be worth it but IMO get some used Axis, Elka, PEP,

They are better than stock 400ex shocks(you could take sticks and zip tie them to your shocks mounts and they would be better than stock 400ex shocks) but not worth $200 imo when you could buy a set of high quality aftermarket for $100 more that are made for your quad.

10-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal

They are better than stock 400ex shocks(you could take sticks and zip tie them to your shocks mounts and they would be better than stock 400ex shocks) but not worth $200 imo when you could buy a set of high quality aftermarket for $100 more that are made for your quad.

When GT Thunder gets done with them, they ARE made for the EX.

I'm in for $600 with revalved, resprung 450R's with res vs. over a grand for comaprable Elkas.

Now, someone PLEASE tell why I should spend the extra on the Elkas.

Not because the Elkas are correct length and the 450R's arent.

Not because the Elkas are set up for correct weight and the 450R's aren't.

Not because the Elkas are set up for my ride style and the 450R's aren't.

So why? Why spend the extra $400+ on front shocks when I could use the $$$$ to get my rear shock reworked with better linkage?

What if I get Elka decals and put them on my reworked 450R shocks?

PismoLocal
10-05-2006, 01:34 PM
But GT Thunder re-valves them for whatever your set up is (a-arms, ride style, etc) , and re-springs them as well.

You MIGHT get used Elkas for $600 (the same money) but that's used equipment and chances are they won't be for your ride weight anyway.

And new Elkas are over a grand.

I don't beleive rec Elkas come with reservoirs.

I still think you come out ahead with rebuilt 450R's that are essentially brand new shocks, re-valved for your a-arms, resprung for your weight and ride style, with reservoirs, for over $400 less than Elkas.

What am I missing?
Sorry for the double post but I just read this. ^

You can buy used standard travel Axis, PEP, Elka on ebay for around $300 thats only $100 more than 450r shocks. True used aftermarket shocks might not be set up for your weight (could be if your patient enough to wait for the right set to come along) but stock 450r shocks aren't set up for your weight either.

Buy the time you pay for 450r shocks and to have them rebuilt for a 400ex they will have cost you more than used aftermarket shocks and a revalve for your weight.

PismoLocal
10-05-2006, 01:40 PM
When GT Thunder gets done with them, they ARE made for the EX.

I'm in for $600 with revalved, resprung 450R's with res vs. over a grand for comaprable Elkas.

Now, someone PLEASE tell why I should spend the extra on the Elkas.

Not because the Elkas are correct length and the 450R's arent.

Not because the Elkas are set up for correct weight and the 450R's aren't.

Not because the Elkas are set up for my ride style and the 450R's aren't.

So why? Why spend the extra $400+ on front shocks when I could use the $$$$ to get my rear shock reworked with better linkage?

What if I get Elka decals and put them on my reworked 450R shocks?
I bought zps axis triple rates for $300 off ebay, I paid around $150 for a revalve. GT thunder does awesome work dont get me wrong, I have a GT Thunder rear shock I used to ride before I made the switch to axis but Gt thunder revavled shocks are not axis. So I paid $450 and Have better handling shocks than you do but you paid $600. Buying 450r shocks and revalving them just isn't as cheap as used aftermarket and the performance is better.

10-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Sorry for the double post but I just read this. ^

You can buy used standard travel Axis, PEP, Elka on ebay for around $300 thats only $100 more than 450r shocks. True used aftermarket shocks might not be set up for your weight (could be if your patient enough to wait for the right set to come along) but stock 450r shocks aren't set up for your weight either.

Buy the time you pay for 450r shocks and to have them rebuilt for a 400ex they will have cost you more than used aftermarket shocks and a revalve for your weight.

OK, thanx for the explanation.

I'm in for $600 total on the reworked 450R's with reservoirs.

If I got the used Elkas for $300, I'd have to get GT Thunder to revalved / resprung them etc for another $400.

So I'm still $100 better.

But I'd be willing to bet those $300 Ebay Elkas would be hammered. Not sure they used Elkas would have reservoirs either.

PismoLocal
10-05-2006, 01:46 PM
You dont have to respring aftermarket shocks because they are made for your machine. Go to ebay and search "400ex shocks" you will be presented with about 60 different auctions for aftermarket shocks that are for a 400ex that are used. Since these shocks are made for a 400ex you dont have to repring them you just have to have them revalved for your weight which is around $150.

PismoLocal
10-05-2006, 01:57 PM
OK, thanx for the explanation.

I'm in for $600 total on the reworked 450R's with reservoirs.

If I got the used Elkas for $300, I'd have to get GT Thunder to revalved / resprung them etc for another $400.

So I'm still $100 better.

But I'd be willing to bet those $300 Ebay Elkas would be hammered. Not sure they used Elkas would have reservoirs either.

Most of the shocks that I see rolling through ebay are actually in good condition. Aftermarket 400ex shocks are all over ebay because a lot of people part out there 400's to buy 450r's.

Why would most shocks on there be hammered???

10-05-2006, 02:18 PM

Why would most shocks on there be hammered???

People get after market shocks to jump. Jumping is pretty rough on shocks.

Another reason I went with the 450R shocks. They were like new.

And used for XC, not MX.

10-05-2006, 02:21 PM
You dont have to respring aftermarket shocks because they are made for your machine. Go to ebay and search "400ex shocks" you will be presented with about 60 different auctions for aftermarket shocks that are for a 400ex that are used. Since these shocks are made for a 400ex you dont have to repring them you just have to have them revalved for your weight which is around $150.

Setting them up for the 400ex requires REVALVING, NOT respringing.

RESPRINGING is for rider weight.

ANythiong I bought on Ebay ( I'm 6'4" and 250lb) would have to be revalved and resprung.

And you run the risk of getting some hammered MX shock. I bought the 450R shocks in like new condition face to face from a local guy.

PismoLocal
10-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Ya at 250 your going to need a respring for sure no matter what you buy.

Aftermarket shocks are built to withstand jumping thats what they are made for. Used aftermarket shocks are good as new after you have them revalved.

As far as gettin beat shocks you run the same chance of getting beat shocks when buying 450r shocks, after all why would some one sell their 450r shocks in the first place??? They must be beat if whoever selling them needs to get aftermarket.:rolleyes:

In the end its just a matter of opinion and how much money you want to spend.

In my opinion 450r shocks are a waste of money if your gonna shell out money on suspension but dont want to pay for new shocks you might as well get used aftermarket because by the time you have them anywhere near as good as aftermarket your gonna have spent more money than buying used aftermarket shocks would have cost.

Last time I'm saying it, go on ebay do a little research and get some used axis, pep, elka, shocks. You won't regret it I promise. :D

10-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Last time I'm saying it, go on ebay do a little research and get some used axis, pep, elka, shocks. You won't regret it I promise. :D

Last time I'm saying it...I already bought the 450R shocks and have had them resrung and revalved by GT Thunder and they are on their way back to me.

I'll know in a week or two if I made the right decision.

:D :D

PismoLocal
10-05-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry I should have specified who I was talking to. That last part was for the kid who started the thread.

Hope you like your shocks. GT Thunder does good work. My first rear shock was a zps respring from them, it handled like a dream, I still have it in the garage just incase.

zrpilot
10-05-2006, 07:33 PM
If your talking about the yfz shocks thats not true. The shocks get dun compressing about a half inch b4 the ball joints go to their limit. My quad sat at 7" of ground clearance with yfz shocks and i was hitting this jump. with out bottoming. If i did bottom it was stil a soft landing and their was some marks from the frame scraping on the landing but nothing bad.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/4wheeler117.jpg

I was talking about the 450R shocks. I dunno about the yfz shocks.

zrpilot
10-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Last time I'm saying it...I already bought the 450R shocks and have had them resrung and revalved by GT Thunder and they are on their way back to me.

I'll know in a week or two if I made the right decision.

:D :D

Garandman,

You will be happy with Laz's 400EX built 450R shocks... I am.

If I had to do it again I think I might do it different. I have seen some sweet deals on shocks that I think are every bit as good as Laz's rebuilt 450Rs, just maybe less expensive.

Let me reiterate I REALLY LIKE my GT Thunder suspension, and I guarantee you will too!!! PM me or post and let me know what you think when you have ridden on them!!!!!

thunderisland
10-06-2006, 04:35 AM
Thanks for everyone's opinion I wasn't my intension to start an arguement I will check out ebay this weekend.

procircuit406ex
10-06-2006, 08:10 AM
just question but if you have 450R aftermarket shocks like PEP or TCS will they fit on a 400ex if you grind the eye down like stock 450 shocks?